Alfie Called Up For Colombia

2 hours ago, CammyF said:

Alfie called up for Columbia and will miss Old Firm game. Likely to be without Sands, Alfie, Aribo and possibly Roofe. 

Need some reinforcements.....

Only covid can help us now 😂😂😉

• Frankie changed the title to Alfie Called Up For Colombia

In a tight title race, missing key men to South American, African and Asian international football could make the difference in where the title goes. With Celtic now affected by this too with Furuhashi, Rogic, Hatate and Maeda, I’d be taking this into account in our recruitment. 

The established wisdom that international football should always take precedence is something that needs to be looked at and reassessed at every level. The vast majority of international games have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on tournament qualification or trophy destination and the burden being placed on clubs is becoming ridiculous.

One thing I would change immediately is that players from one FIFA area who are contracted by clubs in another area should no longer be eligible for selection for their national team. That would stop this crazy situation where clubs fund the player but on a whim and national association can deny clubs a return on that investment. It would also mean that national sides might actually represent and reflect the domestic progress of that country. 

5 hours ago, Bill said:

One thing I would change immediately is that players from one FIFA area who are contracted by clubs in another area should no longer be eligible for selection for their national team. That would stop this crazy situation where clubs fund the player but on a whim and national association can deny clubs a return on that investment. It would also mean that national sides might actually represent and reflect the domestic progress of that country. 

I agree 100% , however, would players still sign for a club knowing they wouldn't be able to represent their country? 

I'd go further and stop international football full-stop!