Rangers 1 - 0 Livingston (Arfield 75)

4 hours ago, Bill said:

Being circumspect about signings is exactly what I want from our manager. The aim is to conclude deals at the best price and time - you can't do that if you're signalling intentions to your market. We should be happy to have left behind the profligate mistakes of the past.

This is Rangers we can remember we could have signed willie wallace and we fucking hummed and hawed and big braw baws snaps him up for £35000 

9 hours ago, DMAA said:

I didn't find Gio's response regarding a signing very encouraging at all!

Very much maybe aye, we'll see, only if the right player comes along, our group is already talented by the way. He should be saying we will be working hard to get someone in, if not then you have to wonder about money.

Edit: he did apparently say we are definitely looking to bring someone in. I just saw the tweet where he seemed non-committal.

Anyone who isnt "wondering about money" hasnt been paying attention.  The Board have said they needed about £8 million to see out the season, we have brought in about £14 mill from Gerrard and Patterson - but that doesnt mean that the excess funds should be spent.  Our model is to be self-sufficient and that doesnt always equate to a zero sum game of "we raised £x mill in sales so should also spend £x mill on players".

The reality is that, yes, this season is important because of automatic CL entry - but what if we spent the money and didnt win the league ?  How far back does that put us financially ?  Secondly, do we really actually need to spend that money ?  I don't think we do.  We have the best squad in the country and the best starting XI.  Keep who we have.  Hagi will be a miss but he hasnt been playing that well - bring in Wright or Lowry or even Bacuna - there are certainly plenty of options.

We all would love to see transfer activity but the beauty of having the best team and the best squad in the country is that it means you dont need to bring reinforcements in when operating from a position of strength.  Sometimes less is more. 

7 hours ago, craig said:

Anyone who isnt "wondering about money" hasnt been paying attention.  The Board have said they needed about £8 million to see out the season, we have brought in about £14 mill from Gerrard and Patterson - but that doesnt mean that the excess funds should be spent.  Our model is to be self-sufficient and that doesnt always equate to a zero sum game of "we raised £x mill in sales so should also spend £x mill on players".

The reality is that, yes, this season is important because of automatic CL entry - but what if we spent the money and didnt win the league ?  How far back does that put us financially ?  Secondly, do we really actually need to spend that money ?  I don't think we do.  We have the best squad in the country and the best starting XI.  Keep who we have.  Hagi will be a miss but he hasnt been playing that well - bring in Wright or Lowry or even Bacuna - there are certainly plenty of options.

We all would love to see transfer activity but the beauty of having the best team and the best squad in the country is that it means you dont need to bring reinforcements in when operating from a position of strength.  Sometimes less is more. 

We have had a couple of share issues too. At least one for 1.25 million was foe cash.

I think we will spend some money over the next few days now but Craig is right to emphasis our financial situation so it's imperative that if we're to make a signing - especially for a few million - then it's the right one.

The rest of the season is completely vital and I don't envy the board in terms of sticking or twisting. 

27 minutes ago, Frankie said:

I think we will spend some money over the next few days now but Craig is right to emphasis our financial situation so it's imperative that if we're to make a signing - especially for a few million - then it's the right one.

The rest of the season is completely vital and I don't envy the board in terms of sticking or twisting. 

I agree with Craig and our manager has said many times, if we bring in a player he has to be better than what we have. Our squad is bloated at the moment and we need to be more efficient with player trading in and out. Cant be paying Barkers 10k a week to do nothing. In the same way cant be paying guys 30k a week for not playing every week, either through injury or not being selected.

9 hours ago, craig said:

The Board have said they needed about £8 million to see out the season, we have brought in about £14 mill from Gerrard and Patterson - but that doesnt mean that the excess funds should be spent. 

IIRC the board have said this money had already been covered by them so there was no need for us to sell. 

3 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

IIRC the board have said this money had already been covered by them so there was no need for us to sell. 

What I took that to mean was that the board had guaranteed the money in a worst case scenario, but it didn't mean that if we sold that they wouldn't use that cash first rather than dipping into their own pockets when they didn't have to.

We also may have loans to directors to repay as well.

3 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

What I took that to mean was that the board had guaranteed the money in a worst case scenario, but it didn't mean that if we sold that they wouldn't use that cash first rather than dipping into their own pockets when they didn't have to.

We also may have loans to directors to repay as well.

Good point. hadn't thought of that. Bottom line is we cant expect these people to keep covering these losses.

Looks to me like were living in a hand to mouth situation 😉 best to get someone from Saudi  with more money than sense to sell it to , mon the gers :rfc: it's time for an Abdul da bull bull supporters club 😄