Employment contract advice

Bit of advice from anyone welcome.

My employer has 'discovered' my notice period is 1 month and they would like to increase this to 3 months. I think they have noticed i have made a bigger impact to the business than first thought and would like to change it. I am generally happy in this environment and enjoy the work. Get paid well and due to get a bonus this year. Often get good feedback from the business about my work. 

Is it unreasonable of me to ask for higher remuneration in order to make this change?  I agreed my T&C's when i joined and i agreed to the 1 month notice. If i leave by choice it is logical to assume i will leave for a higher salary elsewhere. So two additional months working notice would likely cost me in pay. It could also benefit me in that if they want to let me go they have to pay me 3 months instead of 1 month, but I'm not concerned about that as i could pick up work pretty quickly if i had to.

Is there anything else that i need to consider about this change I may not have thought of? What would you do in this situation? 

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

Are they likely to hold you to the 3 months? I guess they are from your comments, but that's not always the case and sometimes the 3 months benefits the employee more than the employer.

If you aren't bothered about getting the protection of 3 months' notice for yourself, then it's not unreasonable to ask for higher remuneration. They are asking for a greater commitment from you so you should get something in return.

6 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Are they likely to hold you to the 3 months? I guess they are from your comments, but that's not always the case and sometimes the 3 months benefits the employee more than the employer.

If you aren't bothered about getting the protection of 3 months' notice for yourself, then it's not unreasonable to ask for higher remuneration. They are asking for a greater commitment from you so you should get something in return.

Yes - they will likely struggle to recruit and backfill the role within a month. I expect this is why they would like to change. To recruit a replacement and ensure there is sufficient time to do handover. Which is sensible from them.

32 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

My employer has 'discovered' my notice period is 1 month and they would like to increase this to 3 months. I think they have noticed i have made a bigger impact to the business than first thought and would like to change it. I am generally happy in this environment and enjoy the work. Get paid well and due to get a bonus this year. Often get good feedback from the business about my work. 

Is it unreasonable of me to ask for higher remuneration in order to make this change?  I agreed my T&C's when i joined and i agreed to the 1 month notice. If i leave by choice it is logical to assume i will leave for a higher salary elsewhere. So two additional months working notice would likely cost me in pay. It could also benefit me in that if they want to let me go they have to pay me 3 months instead of 1 month, but I'm not concerned about that as i could pick up work pretty quickly if i had to.

Is there anything else that i need to consider about this change I may not have thought of? What would you do in this situation? 

Its totally reasonable to negotiate a mutually beneficial outcome.  I guess it really comes down to how they are to deal with as a business, but I'd be surprised if they didn't expect you to want something out of it, assuming they're pragmatic and recognise the value of what you do, and consequently the risk to to the business if they need to replace you.

44 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Far too much attention is focussed on notice periods. I can tell you that from both sides of the fence. Broadly speaking the notice period is only enforceable from the employee's side, in that if the employer doesn't want you to work your notice then it has to compensate you accordingly. No one can force you to work one more day than you want to for an employer you are leaving but you may lose contractual benefits such as bonuses, accrued holiday entitlement, etc if you choose to leave without fulfilling your contractual notice term.

As far as I can see, the increase in notice period works in your favour without forcing you to stay there one more day than you want to. I would take it but it seems to me any salary quid pro quo is inappropriate - you would be asking to be compensated for a change that is entirely in your favour.

Edited by Bill

44 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

A 3 month notice period could limit your chances of getting another job whilst still in your present one if your employer holds you to that 3 month notice.

That’s a complete fallacy. No one can hold an employee to a notice period. Everyone is free to walk out the door at any time.