[FT] Ross County 3 - 3 Rangers (Diallo 5; Tavernier 49; Goldson 72)

13 minutes ago, DMAA said:

The problem with that thesis is that Sakala hasn’t been fancied by GVB at all since he came in. Even after a MOM performance he gets dropped and only comes on because of an injury. It doesn’t seem likely. 

I think GvB wanted to see both Sakala and Itten for himself when he arrived.

Neither will have greatly impressed him I suspect. They don’t score enough goals for starters.

It's obvious that this goes deeper than today's latest bad result. Something hasn't been right since preseason. 

The summer transfer window wasnt inspiring, the whimper CL defeat by Malmo, the whole SG to Villa (good move for him) and subsequent Michael Beale tweets and now another window where we haven't spent a penny. 

The current board are due huge credit and respect but questions have to be asked about what's happening at OUR club. 

All well and good having record season ticket sales, 241 commercial partners, MyGers, Club 72, Edminston House membership but that should be enabling continued investment into the playing side - the clearly isn't happening and suspect it's the reason SG disappeared at the earliest opportunity. 

All good things eventually come to an end. Today that particular good thing was the wonderful Rangers career of Allan McGregor. Time to move on, the team that Gerrard built is finished.

Other (not so) good things that appear close to their terminus are the notion that Clavin Bassey is a central defender and the increasingly intermittent performances of Glen Kamara, whose head has already been at Aston Villa for weeks. Kamara is a really good player and has served us well but his weakness has always been inconsistent attitude. I've long thought Ryan Jack is the best midfielder at the club and if he's fit enough for the bench then he should always be starting. 

Now we'll find out what GvB is made of.

8 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

I think GvB wanted to see both Sakala and Itten for himself when he arrived.

Neither will have greatly impressed him I suspect. They don’t score enough goals for starters.

Sakala has impressed, albeit his end product is questionable. He is more dangerous than Kent at the moment by quite a bit.

With regards to goals, I don’t think he’s the best finisher but his goals per minute is very good, the best we have in the league this season if you don’t count Roofe’s penalties. So I wouldn’t count goals against him at the moment. 

I genuinely thought Gio would have dropped McGregor for his first game in charge, but he didn't and to be fair, McGregor looked back to his old self and has made some amazing saves. But as a member of the Amateur Goalkeeper's Union, I'm not convinced that his ability to make those world-class saves outweighs some of his negatives. He can be indecisive, doesn't command his area and his distribution isn't as good or as quick as McLaughlin's. When you combine that with how Goldson can struggle with high balls, often letting them bounce first, I do think that's part of the issue with our confidence.

As someone said earlier in the week, our midfield balance doesn't look right either, so maybe its a combination of a few things contributing.

@CammyF is spot-on though, we've not been right since pre-season. SG couldn't fix it and now we're left to try and get things back on the rails mid-season which isn't easy, especially with a new manager and a January transfer window. 

The first part of this season was almost like a greatest hits of Gerrard's sides outwith 55. It was never going to be easy for Gio to turn that around and I think the results have masked some of the underlying issues which are still there.