[FT] Ross County 3 - 3 Rangers (Diallo 5; Tavernier 49; Goldson 72)

3 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

We should make a loan signing if we can find another that will improve the first eleven.

The board have been covering losses for years so it's complete nonsense to question their appetite.

It's not - we have record season ticket sales, a world record number of commercial partnerships, have received circa £5M for SG and his team and circa £12M for Patterson. 

We were told that the short-term deficits were covered before we received the money for Patterson. If that's the case, where has it gone? Or are we not getting the whole truth. 

This board have "credit in the bank" doesn't mean we can't question them. Also, I was alluding to an appetite for a "fight" as well as taking us forward. 

At best we've stagnated, at worse we regressed and the board must face and answer for their part in that and explain / road map our short / medium and long term strategies. As it stands we have lots of players out of contract in the summer and don't know if they'll extend or leave. Gio confirmed this in a recent press conference. 

3 hours ago, weebluedevil said:

If that's the case, I'd suggest Ross Wilson needs to do a better job!

We have 5 players that have not contributed for a while, that would have some value and should have been punted: Barker, Simpson, Katic (arguably), Hastie, Firth.  Then there are the two that have played and could command a half decent fee, but are not of the standard required: One is Barisic who is not the player he was and I prefer Bassey as a left back now. The other is Itten, who should have been left out of loan in the hope we could punt him to Fürth at end of season.

Then there's Kamara and Goldson. Both should have been punted last year if not interested in signing new contracts. Davis and Greegsy should have been allowed to retire, at least the latter of the two. I'd prefer either McL or McC to McG right now. 

There's some fees that could and should have been brought in and wages saved that would help the financial situation if it's that dire. As has been proven with Patterson and Lowry, there are probably some decent young academy players that could replace the squad players above if not yet at the potential of Patterson/Lowry. 

And how did we end up Ofoborh?  that makes 10. And then we bring in Sands. Sorry to say, and I know it's really early, but I cant see how he adds anything to the squad. 

I know many will disagree with a lot of what I say above, but it's an honest observation, so as much as Ross Wilson may be worshipped by many, I think he still has work to do to prove himself IMO. Otherside of the city, they sell their duds for millions! 

We've tried to copy Celtics signing policy and failed (thus far). We can only sell players if we have offers on the table. We've arguably held onto players for too long, but again that depends in whether we've received offers. 

Goldson is entitled to run down his contract, nothing we can do about it unless someone is stupid enough to make us an offer. 

We are miles away from them financially as the last two transfer windows have shown. 

58 minutes ago, weebluedevil said:

An opinion on a new player that I don't think is the required standard for Rangers is symptomatic of the very worst in our support, and shameful? 

Sorry bill, but you do talk some bollocks. I hope to be proven wrong about Sands, he looks a smart lad with a good attitude. I'm rooting for him, but IMO, I don't think he has the talent to make it in the first team. Adding squad players in NOT what we needed in January. I was hoping for one or two quality signings that could help us land the title, that will bring the much needed financial rewards of the CL. 

Why on earth would you think I was referring to you?

16 minutes ago, CammyF said:

We were told that the short-term deficits were covered before we received the money for Patterson. If that's the case, where has it gone?

The model the board want involves buying low and selling high.  Not spending everything we have and having them constantly putting in soft loans.

There's nothing untoward or hidden about what's happening.

17 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

The model the board want involves buying low and selling high.  Not spending everything we have and having them constantly putting in soft loans.

There's nothing untoward or hidden about what's happening.

So who have we signed in this transfer window who fits into that model?

Sands on a loan with option to buy and Soutar? Can't see us getting untold millions for them if / when we sell them. 

The only three who could fit that model are Aribo, Alfie and Kamara 

We ain't gonna make much on Borna, Goldson, Tav, Kent, Roofe, Itten, Greegs, Davis, Jack, Arfield, Balogun, Itten, Wright....... 

Edited by CammyF

29 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I agree, Cammy.  It ain't perfect but we could potentially get £30m for the three you mention. 

Potentially. And at what cost to the team? The secret IMO is to get their replacements in before you sell them.

This season was hugely important given the possibility of automatic CL qualification and a guaranteed £30-40M. Given that reward and circa £17M brought in, gambling £3-5M on a couple of players was probably worth it. 

45 minutes ago, CammyF said:

It's not - we have record season ticket sales, a world record number of commercial partnerships, have received circa £5M for SG and his team and circa £12M for Patterson. 

We were told that the short-term deficits were covered before we received the money for Patterson. If that's the case, where has it gone? Or are we not getting the whole truth. 

It's pretty obvious that the money is being used to cover the costs of wages.

This board have "credit in the bank" doesn't mean we can't question them. Also, I was alluding to an appetite for a "fight" as well as taking us forward.

Who said you shouldn't question them?

Just don't do so with complete nonsense.

At best we've stagnated, at worse we regressed and the board must face and answer for their part in that and explain / road map our short / medium and long term strategies. As it stands we have lots of players out of contract in the summer and don't know if they'll extend or leave. Gio confirmed this in a recent press conference. 

Are you looking for more info than you get from the A.G.M.?

Who is out of contract? I can think of Goldson, Arfield, Jack and Katic. I would guess Davis and McGregor too. It's desirable for many of them to move on.

4 minutes ago, CammyF said:

The secret IMO is to get their replacements in before you sell them.

I agree with that too but then folk are moaning about Sands, who I think has been brought in as a replacement for Kamara.  

The board have put a lot of money into the club.  

Gambling is always going to be problematic.