[FT] Ross County 3 - 3 Rangers (Diallo 5; Tavernier 49; Goldson 72)

51 minutes ago, CammyF said:

We've tried to copy Celtics signing policy and failed (thus far). We can only sell players if we have offers on the table. We've arguably held onto players for too long, but again that depends in whether we've received offers. 

Celtic sold players from a position of success on the pitch and Champions League experience.

We have very little recent success and played in the Europa League.

Accept that we still have some way to go before anyone can say we have failed with player trading.

Can`t actually follow the path to blame the board on our recent "slump in form" ... despite staying unbeaten, BTW. Gio took over SG`s team and now has to see what each player is made of. 

I said it a few months back and repeat it: last season`s success was built on a solid defence that exceeded the previous two under SG. What we did not do in either of these seasons was to convert chances into goals. This season, our defence leaks more goals again, but we fail to learn the lessons and put more emphasis on attack. Now we have the players to utilize a better attacking approach, but we keep on going with the same stuff and the same players. And to finish that ... at some point you simply have to admit that some chaps have peaked with us and seemingly can`t take us further. And if they don`t peak - like Goldson, Kent, Tavernier and even Kamara, we end up with what we get right now.* Patterson was a clear step up for the right side - and it was still shrewd to sell him in the here and now. But we cannot stand still. Rivers run just one way and that`s not backwards. What Tav scored or delivered on assists is past. As are Goldosn`s headers and great clearances. We need quality performances all over the pitch and we don`t get it right now. And I say that full well knowing that every team has had bad spells over each of the past championship-winning seasons. And if that is the case, change is needed. For the time being, I trust in Gio and his team to get us back on track. 

* It is almost embarrassing at times, how the Itten`s Sakala`s, Wright`s or Lundstram`s get it in the neck when they are thrown in from the cold or for the half  hour each game, yet the "veterans" keep on not performing up to their own standard and it`s almost swept under the carpet. Sakala is the spark required for the left attacking side, Diallo seemingly the same for the right - though who knows what will happen at the howling Scumhut. Hopefully we defy the formbook.

1 minute ago, ranger_syntax said:

Celtic sold players from a position of success on the pitch and Champions League experience.

We have very little recent success and played in the Europa League.

Accept that we still have some way to go before anyone can say we have failed with player trading.

Far too many people are showing the level of disappointment that suggests they thought we had reached the end of our journey. When the fact is we're perhaps a little over half way to recovery. 

1 hour ago, ranger_syntax said:

It's pretty obvious that the money is being used to cover the costs of wages.

Who said you shouldn't question them?

Just don't do so with complete nonsense.

Are you looking for more info than you get from the A.G.M.?

Who is out of contract? I can think of Goldson, Arfield, Jack and Katic. I would guess Davis and McGregor too. It's desirable for many of them to move on.

So 6 players, 5 who are regular starters, that's just under half our team. Maybe I'm panicking unnecessarily.....

I would like the board to be questioned more at AGMs. Questions about quality of the pies are not going to put them under the spotlight. AGMs are stagemanged, always have been, always will be. 

I never said the current board hadn't invested. But if we're using the best part of £17m to cover wages, we're in trouble next season unless we uncover another Patterson. We have record season ticket sales, commercial partnerships, Europa League income, merchandise sales etc, what's that money be used for? 

I suggest if we require £17M on top of all that to pay wages, we better look at a different financial structure pronto as that would unsustainable.

Asking the board to reinvest a sensible percentage of £17M isn't nonsense, it's a fans right to ask / expect it, considering that's what was "hinted" by the board when we received the Patterson fee... And not to mention / considering the unwavering financial support the fans give the club (season tickets, kits, MyGers, European sell outs, Club 72 or whatever it's called now, Edminston House, memberships, hospitality, corporate hospitality, share issues etc)

5 hours ago, CammyF said:

But if we're using the best part of £17m to cover wages, we're in trouble next season unless we uncover another Patterson.

We wil get big money for Aribo and Kamara and decent money for one or two others.

We're not in trouble if we keep picking up bargains and moving them on at significant profit.

Edited by Gonzo79

9 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

Who is out of contract? I can think of Goldson, Arfield, Jack and Katic. I would guess Davis and McGregor too. It's desirable for many of them to move on.

8 hours ago, CammyF said:

So 6 players, 5 who are regular starters, that's just under half our team. Maybe I'm panicking unnecessarily.....

McGregor and Goldson are regular starters.

Two of them.

Only one of which we should try to keep.

8 hours ago, CammyF said:

I never said the current board hadn't invested. But if we're using the best part of £17m to cover wages, we're in trouble next season unless we uncover another Patterson. We have record season ticket sales, commercial partnerships, Europa League income, merchandise sales etc, what's that money be used for? 

I suggest if we require £17M on top of all that to pay wages, we better look at a different financial structure pronto as that would unsustainable.

Asking the board to reinvest a sensible percentage of £17M isn't nonsense, it's a fans right to ask / expect it, considering that's what was "hinted" by the board when we received the Patterson fee... And not to mention / considering the unwavering financial support the fans give the club (season tickets, kits, MyGers, European sell outs, Club 72 or whatever it's called now, Edminston[sic] House, memberships, hospitality, corporate hospitality, share issues etc)

The only thing that is unsustainable is rushing out to spend money in January after four dropped points.

I have to laugh about the 'unwavering financial support'. The fans do a lot to support the club but lets not forget recent events.  Just the other week the club postponed a payment deadline for tickets. This happened because the usual selection of knicker wetters were sobbing about not having 45 pound prior to payday. Support was wavering and the same complaints emerge every time something can be paid for.