Ross Wilson Appreciation thread

The guy has done a good job i think. From getting a fee for Grezda in the early days to working some of the other deals he has. Bacuna didn't work out but it was a low risk deal the way it was structured and we managed to get him off the books pretty quickly with no real financial hit.

Gut feel he was probably quite restricted in some of the moves he perhaps wanted to make when Gerrard was here, the Lundstram signing as an example was something Gerrard pushed for. 

Under this management team who are used to the DoF model I expect he will have a bit more freedom to make calls on transfers. Supported by Andy Scoulding(i think he is still our chief scout) and the scouting team I'm confident for the future.  Or we could go out and just buy a bunch of wee Japanese guys.

I would love to know the twists and turns that went on through that window. Diallo said talks with Rangers only begun last Monday. RW himself said Ramsey happened very fast. So you have to wonder what the plan was if those players hadn't come up, or worked out. This could be a very different discussion!

At the end of the day, he has done exceptionally well to bring both players to the club. And there's every chance he came close to other signings that would have been very good but they didn't work out. There's just no way for us to know, the main thing is we have come out of the window looking very good. 

Edited by DMAA

It often presents a problem when a DoF arrives at a club with an established manager already in place, especially someone with such a high public profile as Gerrard. It can tend to lead to friction between the two, with the guy who actually runs the footballing operation being unduly pressured by a manager who thinks he does. My suspicions (and that's all it is) is that we now have a situation where Ross Wilson is visible to the entire staff as the man with the reins in his hands and a manager who is relaxed enough to focus all his energies on the players and results. On the other hand, if Wilson is to succeed then he needs his manager to succeed, which requires a happy manager who feels both supported and empowered. At last it feels like we've got a sustainable functional interface between the board and the dressing room and, as always, it all depends on the qualities of the person at the top.

Am I implying something that may have contributed to Gerrard's departure? No, but it's possible.

5 minutes ago, Bill said:

It often presents a problem when a DoF arrives at a club with an established manager already in place, especially someone with such a high public profile as Gerrard. It can tend to lead to friction between the two, with the guy who actually runs the footballing operation being unduly pressured by a manager who thinks he does. My suspicions (and that's all it is) is that we now have a situation where Ross Wilson is visible to the entire staff as the man with the reins in his hands and a manager who is relaxed enough to focus all his energies on the players and results. On the other hand, if Wilson is to succeed then he needs his manager to succeed, which requires a happy manager who feels both supported and empowered. At last it feels like we've got a sustainable functional interface between the board and the dressing room and, as always, it all depends on the qualities of the person at the top.

Am I implying something that may have contributed to Gerrard's departure? No, but it's possible.

Certainly possible. I think the answer though lies most likely in the backing Gerrard has been given at Villa. 

Hard to turn that down given the lack of funds at rangers. He probably knew he had taken us as far as he could.