We were put in our place by the better team on the night its been coming for a time now i wouldn't be surprised if there was not a meeting this morning at Parkhead demanding to know why they only managed three goals .

Some further reflections on the game yesterday.

It seems to me that something quite fundamental needs to change and change quickly if we still want to be in this title race a month from now. It relates to player attitudes but it's perhaps most easily seen in the attitudes we see routinely expressed by the support. 

As the season started in 2020, we were prepared for failure. Very much hoping for success but cautioned against excess optimism by the outcomes of the two previous compaigns. In the end and despite miserable cup exits, I don't think many of us could believe the extent of our success, winning the title by a mile and beating Celtic every time we faced them. It was like every dream come true and we were "back".

What a contrast this season. Suddenly all caution is abandoned and we're wallowing in a new entitlement. Naturally we're going to win the league again. Celtic are shite and their weird manager is a joke. Even when we lose our transformational manager in still-unexplained circumstances, within week we're patting each other on the back, sure in our sense of destiny that we've turned a possible booby trap into a new and better launchpad. 

Well Celtic are not "shite", they're currently better than us in every way that matters - more skilful, more determined, more hardworking, more united. Their manager isn't a joke at all. In a few short months he's assembled a new team, got them winning, turned a basket case into league leaders and (whisper it) title favourites. Meanwhile, we're in total denial about what's happening across the city and still smugly asserting our superiority ... until last night when the lights all came on at once. If you still don't get it then you're still asleep. 

Yesterday was a wake up call that said we're in a fight that we're no longer favourites to win. While Celtic have been working hard to win 'their' title back, we haven't even realised we're in a fight at all. If we don't urgently lose that misconception and appreciate the challenge that's been thrown down then we have absolutely no chance of defending our title.

I say "we" but of course I'm using the attitude of the support (that we all know is wrong and may of us have shared) as an analog for what I believe is replicated in the dressing room and lies at the heart of what happened yesterday. Just look at Barisic and Tavernier and tell me they haven't lost the path. Footballers are not renowned for their introspection and self-examination, they feed off the atmosphere created by the support and I think we've all somewhat lost the plot. Right now, on both sides of the white lines, we need men of determination and motivation. Goldson was right after all and last night Jack's excellent performance provided the contrast needed to show how far most of the team have fallen.

I no longer think we can turn this around without significant changes on the field. The past counts for nothing. I'd rather lose this title fighting and end the season knowing who's up for the fight, than meekly capitulate, thinking the same failing plan would suddenly start working.

They say managers are people who seek to do things right, while leaders are people who seek to do the right things. Right now, we desperately need a leader who has the courage to break moulds and the nous to re-assemble the pieces properly. If GvB doesn't wield the knife, then in time-honoured fashion these players will take him down with them.

Edited by Bill

It's easy to look good when the opposition are as passive as Rangers were last night.  

Ross County scored three against us only a few days ago.  

4 hours ago, Bill said:

The number of fans calling for a gung-ho attacking formation was very hard to understand

We're better at attacking than we are at defending.  

6 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

It's easy to look good when the opposition are as passive as Rangers were last night.  

Yes, they're shite so they are. 🙄

6 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

We're better at attacking than we are at defending.  

Yes, we're brilliant and we're gonna win the league. 🙄

Edited by Bill