[FT] Rangers 2 (Tavernier 22 pen, 57) - 2 Dortmund

12 hours ago, Nevermind said:

As delighted as I am at the result, I'm even more delighted for the young fans in our midst who get to savour what a Rangers team is capable of and what a European night at Ibrox looks like. It's been a slog since 2012 but our record in Europe over the past few years has been sensational. Rangers, are not to be trifled with in Europe. 

Tonight will live long in the memory. 

Well said. The wounds heal a little more with nights like that. Especially when our rivals are getting humped by a fishing collective in Norway.

Edited by Bill

5 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

Be interesting to hear from DB about how this has gone down in Germany. 

Generally, as was the case last week, most agreed that Dortmund are playing well below their best, especially in defence. While their strikeforce can harm anyone, they are leaking goals for fun and this has not been adressed all season. There usually is a certain arrogance on display - bred from years of football dominance on an international level (and who would doubt that) - and most Dortmund-minded reports and player comments lamented their errors more than praising our outstanding performance. That said, like I told you before, the RTL guys commentating on the live game last night were rather neutral, dissecting Dortmund abilities and errors while also giving praise to our team, who on paper should have been food and drink to a side of Dortmund`s level but simply wasn`t. Be it player performance s or tactical changes ... we got a lot of praise. Not to mention the atmosphere ...

I thought the decision to bring on Kamara when he did was a good move by GvB. What I didn't expect was Kamara being half a yard slow in everything he did. It can be hard to come on and pick up the pace of the game but it seems to me there something not quite right with Kamara and it's been like that off and on all season. Hopefully the coaching staff can bring him back to the level of performance we expect from one of our best players.

One afterthought ... in the highlights I saw that Aribo had a hand in both goals, first setting up Kent and then Bassey.

But truth be told, I hardly noted him or his presence in the game and wondered whether changing him for e.g. Sakala energy might be a good idea in the second half. Dunno how it looked in the stadium.

Edited by der Berliner

33 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

One afterthought ... in the highlights I saw that Aribo had a hand in both goals, first setting up Kent and then Bassey.

But truth be told, I hardly noted him or his presence in the game and wondered whether changing him for e.g. Sakala energy might be a good idea in the second half. Dunno how it looked in the stadium.

He was excellent at taking the ball in situations where he had 2-3 players around him and keeping possession for us, holding the ball up allowing others to get into position which was critical.  

3 hours ago, DMAA said:

We do get country coefficient points for individual results, it is only club coefficient points that are awarded only for progressing to the next round.

We got 0.4 points for Scotland for the win in Germany and 0.2 for the draw last night. Serbia are behind us and still have Red Star and Partizan competing. They get 0.5 points for a win because they have fewer teams competing in Europe so their points aren't diluted as much as ours. This blasted Conference League is going to sink Scotland's coefficient.

Aye and we know whose fault that is.

7 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

Well it’s primarily the rest of the league’s fault rather than Celtic. We are a 2-team league but we have 3 passengers as far as the coefficient is concerned, the conference league gives our rivals a shot in the arm because they have stronger teams finishing 3rd-5th. 

17 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

We are currently 9th in the country coefficient, but 19th for this season because of the Conference League.

The Conference League more or less eliminates the possibility of a small country with a couple of big teams overtaking big countries in the rankings again. So the automatic Champions League spot will only be possible for two seasons max I think before we tumble down the rankings again.

Edited by DMAA

8 minutes ago, DMAA said:

We are currently 9th in the country coefficient, but 19th for this season because of the Conference League.

The Conference League more or less eliminates the possibility of a small country with a couple of big teams overtaking big countries in the rankings again. So the automatic Champions League spot will only be possible for two seasons max I think before we tumble down the rankings again.

What I was getting at was the part played by Celtic's poor performances in the Conf. League - that couldn't have helped.