Rangers pull out of Sydney Super Cup

I wonder if at any time during the negotiations our board asked their board that whilst on their way to Australia, they could stop off in Japan and complete their 2008 make-believe tour which ultimately cost us UEFA Cup and the league?

Forgive and forget? NEVER 

DAVE KING has thrown his weight behind furious Rangers supporters and called on chairman Douglas Park to 'reverse the cult of personality' has developed at Ibrox.

The Light Blues board - which has been headed by Park since King stepped down in March 2020 - and the champions' executive team have come under severe criticism following the decision to sanction a controversial trip to Australia.

Giovanni van Bronckhorst's side will take part in the Sydney Super Cup and play the first ever Old Firm match outside of Glasgow in November as two A-League sides - Western Sydney Wanderers and Sydney FC - also participate in the four-team tournament.

Fans unfurled banners during the Premiership clash with St Johnstone on Wednesday night and made their feelings clear towards their board with a series of protest chants throughout the 1-0 victory.
King has harboured deep worries over events at Ibrox for some time now following Rangers' public fight with the SPFL over the cinch sponsorship deal and the departure of manager Steven Gerrard to Aston Villa in November.

And the former chairman - who voted against the re-election of Graeme Park at the AGM last year - has expressed his concern at the way in which Rangers are being managed at boardroom level as they fight to retain their top flight title.
King told Herald and Times Sport: “I am 100 per cent with all supporters on this. It is not something that I would have sanctioned if I was still on the board.
“Unfortunately, this is another in an increasingly long list of recent instances where the club has shown its indifference to supporter wishes and interests.
“The shoddy treatment of Club 1872, the firing of Mark Hateley, Richard Gough, Derek Johnstone, etc, as ambassadors, the unseemly spat with the football authorities to assist Douglas’s personal agenda, and the completely unnecessary loss of a manager that won title number 55 and would have successfully defended the title are among the concerns that have caught my attention.

“I have not spoken to Douglas since I stepped down as Chairman but, as an ordinary supporter, I call on Douglas to reverse the cult of personality that has developed at the club and to remember that the present board are temporary custodians of the club on behalf of present and future generations of supporters.
“Recent success has unfortunately created short memories and supporters have every right to be concerned.”

1 hour ago, BEARGER said:

and the completely unnecessary loss of a manager that won title number 55 and would have successfully defended the title are among the concerns that have caught my attention

Whilst not wanting to derail the thread, some of what King says should have alarm bells ringing, especially this part about SG. 

Said for months there is something not right at our club, Kings interview appears to confirm this. 

James Bisgrove says he's disappointed with the fans reaction to the Sydney Cup.

“We’ve obviously seen the reaction and to be candid, we’re disappointed. 

“When the opportunity came [to speak to fans] we want to do that. For the support not to see this in a positive light is not something we’re comfortable with but what we want to get across is the reasons we’ve made this decision. We feel the supporters who are disappointed will be the same supporters who will demand this club be successful on the pitch and that’s what’s driven this decision. It is to give the best possible resources to the club to be successful and be competitive.”

I'm not sure a management team not being given the funds they ask for is in any way peculiar, particularly with the Covid situation impacting income.

King will take any opportunity to have a pop at the board, who have given him an open goal with the Sydney thing.

17 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I'm not sure a management team not being given the funds they ask for is in any way peculiar, particularly with the Covid situation impacting income.

King will take any opportunity to have a pop at the board, who have given him an open goal with the Sydney thing.

Maybe, but I might be reading Kings interview incorrectly but "completely unnecessary" appears to suggest some thing other, or in addition to, lack of funds. 

This is Rangers European super league moment and we seen the outcry that caused the board must listen to the fans or else that relationship which has been very good will be fractured, my final say on this nonsense would be listen to the fans. 

30 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

King is just shit stirring. He's upset that he's not been able to sell his shares. What's his number one complaint? The treatment of C1872! That shows where his priorities lie. 

He's also got a cheek to complain about personal agendas. He had numerous over the years that damaged the club. 

I quite like King and his bravado, but I'm also pretty sure if he wanted to still be chairman at Ibrox and in control he would be. That says more to me than any soundbites.

Hes not here so he is about as relevant as the other yesterday men.

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

8 hours ago, CammyF said:

Maybe, but I might be reading Kings interview incorrectly but "completely unnecessary" appears to suggest some thing other, or in addition to, lack of funds. 

'Completely inevitable' would probably be a better description.  Scotland is just a stepping stone to the EPL.