Rangers pull out of Sydney Super Cup

Interestingly, my Rangers-supporting cousin in Melbourne was opposed to this game but for different reasons: he thought it should have taken place in Melbourne as Ange (whom he venerated) has links there and Melbourne is the sporting capital. I wonder if we were playing this again in Oz and it wasn't billed as Ange's homecoming, whether there would still be as much opposition? We have huge RFC fanclubs in Oz and North America so they surely deserve to see their team play.

32 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

Interestingly, my Rangers-supporting cousin in Melbourne was opposed to this game but for different reasons: he thought it should have taken place in Melbourne as Ange (whom he venerated) has links there and Melbourne is the sporting capital. I wonder if we were playing this again in Oz and it wasn't billed as Ange's homecoming, whether there would still be as much opposition? We have huge RFC fanclubs in Oz and North America so they surely deserve to see their team play.

Agreed....Ive loads of mates in Perth who wanted this game.

Ashamed... Tennis balls.

Very weak

On 06/04/2022 at 11:07, Gribz said:

Agreed....Ive loads of mates in Perth who wanted this game.

Ashamed... Tennis balls.

Very weak

Pish! the fans who demonstrated have been proved to be correct, Rangers pulled out of this disaster because of the protests, Rangers should never have agreed to it in the first place! fuck all the Rangers fans in Oz tbh! it was an absolute disaster for Rangers to agree to this!.

Why can't Rangers FC organise an Oz tournament themselves? without tying in with Separate Entity FC?.

I truly despair how any Rangers fan could want this to go ahead!!!

11 hours ago, ian1964 said:

Pish! the fans who demonstrated have been proved to be correct,

I don't see how anyone has been proved correct. Those demonstrating have won but it doesn't mean that they're correct. There's a valid opposing argument. Most fans disagree with it but I've seen some put forward a reasonable arguments for it.

Hypothetically, if the cash from the tournament would have been ringfenced to improve the facilities for the disabled then it would become a more difficult choice for some.

fuck all the Rangers fans in Oz tbh!

Wow. That's a bit OTT, mate.

Why can't Rangers FC organise an Oz tournament themselves? without tying in with Separate Entity FC?.

I truly despair how any Rangers fan could want this to go ahead!!!

I'm sure that they could but it wouldn't be as profitable.

I don't recall anyone boycotting the game on Sunday when Rangers went all out to promote the tie-in with Celtic with the over-the-top OF promotions everywhere. Is there not a touch of hypocrisy that people didn't walk out or refuse to watch the game? A genuine question as you feel more strongly about the friendly than I do. I'm against it but it's not top of my list of things I'd have wanted to protest about.

Del, maybe I was a bit OTT? what I meant was if pulling out of a tournament with Separate Entity FC in Oz leaves some of the Oz Rangers fans upset then tough!. Ibrox is in Glasgow and they choose to live in Oz!. I have missed a huge amount of matches due to working overseas, but I still wouldn't want us in a tournament with them just so I can go watch it!!.

If I chose to go and live in Oz then I would miss all the Rangers games, and s I said nothing stopping the club touring Oz themselves to allow Oz fans watch the team.

I believe if the fans didn't show their disgust at this crazy decision then it may well have went ahead!

Of course this is all my own opinion on the whole sorry mess.

P.S. if I have upset the Oz fans tough!

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Bill said:

Where does this debacle stand now? Are there legal issues still to be resolved? Who's taken our place?

I would imagine if we signed a contract then we may be liable for compensation to the promoters.

And if anyone signed it should be bagged.

• Frankie changed the title to Rangers pull out of Sydney Super Cup
1 hour ago, compo said:

I would imagine if we signed a contract then we may be liable for compensation to the promoters.

And if anyone signed it should be bagged.

we pulled out as they were in breach of contract. They denied that grumbled some threats and then went away and did nothing.