1 hour ago, CammyF said:

But in those seasons, we did progress both domestically and especially in Europe. 

We found a way to defeat Celtic and that was the launch pad to winning  the league last season. 

We were top of the league when he left after beating Celtic (again) with a Covid ravaged squad when most Rangers fans were predicting Celtic giving us a thrashing. 

Gerrard had his faults, but it's undeniable he took us from being an utter shambles to Champions and got us respect in Europe. 

He also left the club in a far better place than when he joined. Defending Champions with a 6 point lead in the league, not a bad time to take over IMO. 

Exactly. Success cannot just be measured in terms of trophies. How many could we have expected to win in 2018?  None is the answer, given the shambles that the club was in.The most important trophy is the one that he won, the cups are irrelevant really, nice to win but don't prove anything.  As for next season, I don't think there is a clear alternative to van Bronkhorst at the moment and I can't see any other scenario than him being manager when the new season starts. We have to see what he can do from there, but however it goes there will always be another season. The lows are as much a part of things as the highs.

14 hours ago, CammyF said:

I wouldn't include the loans - they were always going to be short-term signings. 

We've signed an unknown from NYC, a young Polish right back and a Scottish centre-half with injury problems. 

We are obviously skint so we're not going to buy big innthe summer. All our assets values have plummeted, so be interested to hear from the board how we are going to get the necessary income to wrestle the league back next season. 

However if we are completely honest, our current board are clueless, spineless and need replacing.

AGM should be at the end of each season so that the right questions can asked in a timely manner and acted upon. 

Its plainly obvious we are skint. After taking in a small fortune in the winter window and spending none of it, instead choosing to bring in 2 youngsters and a big risk in Ramsey. While the team across the city actively tried to postpone games so they could back their manager.

I have no confidence in this board/club leadership in what is going to be a massive transfer window for us. We have let key assets run down their contracts and depreciate in value massively while not investing in other areas. We have spent big on players that have not contributed much this season (Roofe, Itten, Helander). We have some real quality and experience in McGregor and Davis who have tried to go one season too far by the looks of it.

Our team yesterday cost about 12 million to put together. Kent and Roofe were 11 of that.

11 hours ago, Bill said:

Except his first 2 trophyless seasons when the team chucked it big time ... and the first half of this season when we couldn't come close to the achievements of last. 

If Covid had not hit and cancelled the season it is debateable if he would have made it out of that season as Rangers manager such was the size of the collapse.

So looking at the squad.... And being concerned by some of those contracts being run down on players who we all thought we might get big money for, but its looking increasingly unlikely...

I think there's no doubt the squad has suffered from under-investment - or rather investment in the wrong places. We have a very bloated squad and seem to have prioritised quantity over quality.

I know the line is that nothing happened during pre-season, but I'd love to have been a fly on the wall during that time as neither the players or the management team looked up for it this season. The Malmo game was a real warning of things to come. What's even more frustrating is that we've gone backwards in some regards this season and the (two) management teams have been unable to resolve some blindingly obvious issues on the park.

BTW, I'm saying all of this while realising I'm watching probably the most successful and consistent Rangers team in Europe I've ever seen in my life. Which makes it all the more baffling that we've stuttered so badly in Scotland during the same timeframe.

Keepers

• McGregor - Retires.
  • McLaughlin - Deserves a run as number 1
  • McRorie & a.n.other as backup? Or when do we expect McRorie to step up and be the number 2/challenge for 1? If not soon, should we not just be moving him on? 

Unless we pull off a big coup with a new number one, maybe a young prospect from Europe who's good enough to be our #1 for years to come, I guess we'll just be signing a new number 2.

Centre Backs

• Goldson - Will go for nothing. Can't believe we've let him run his contract down and I'm still of the opinion he should maybe have gone as part of the Gerrard rebuild. Still seems suspect to dealing with long balls and anything not on his right foot.
  • Helander - I think he's our best CB, but clearly has fitness issues.
  • Balogun - Good cover, but I'd like to see a first-choice CB signed. He's fast, his attitude is good, but not a commanding presence.
  • Jack Simpson - Another one who I'm surprised we signed. Surely Leon King could have covered that position? Surely he'll leave.
  • Souttar - I still think we should have signed him in January, would definitely have helped shore things up a bit in the league.

So we're after a first-choice CB in the Summer to play alongside Helander with Souttar and Balogun as cover?

Full Backs

• Barisic - That 2M offer from Southampton looks like it could have been a great bit of business for us. His injury ahead of the Euros was poor timing and he's struggled with form all season. Which, last season apart, has been the story of his time here.
  • Bassey - Our number one LB for next year right? He's only 22 and is improving all the time, seems to have his head screwed on right too.
  • Tavernier - What a signing he's been. I've been saying for a few years though, that like Goldson, I can't help but shake this nagging doubt that we should have moved him on. Regardless of his amazing input, he and Goldson have been constants in a changing squad which has exhibited the same character weaknesses time and time again.

I don't think he will leave though, so that means with Zukowski as deputy, Sands can also play there, we're just going to be in the market for a LB? I'd not be against us signing a new first choice RB and let Tav go with our best wishes.

Midfielders

• Arfield - I think he's still got a part to play as a squad player as he does like to get beyond the front line frequently. He seems to start seasons poorly, then come on to a game though. So maybe he's another one who we can't afford to carry anymore and we need to start using youth more for those games where we rest players or need something different?
  • Aribo - Inconsistent. Another big hope but seems to be one who is undroppable and un-subbable. I wonder if the grind of the Scottish game has just taken its toll on him and a few others to the point of disinterest.
  • Davis - I guess he'll retire, but I've been surprised by just how much he's been sidelined by Gio. What a servant though.
  • Hagi - Like Arfield, I think he offers us something different, but we've not got the best from him so far and again, I don't know if we know his best position.
  • Jack - If he can stay fit he must be the one we build the midfield around?
  • Kamara - He was looking like the one who might go for big money, but has drifted off as the season has gone on. Same as Aribo. He's been played in a few different positions too. But surely there's a place for him?
  • Lundstram - He's come on to a game as the season has progressed, but how many players like him, Davis, Kamara, who can play that role do we need? 
  • Sands - He's looked good, but maybe not the 1st choice starter we need. So he's a squad player... How many of those do we need though?
  • Lowry - I'd hope we'd make much more use of him next season, even though he's young. Remember Stephen Kelly though? 
  • Ramsey - will move on somewhere, but its a shame its taken us this long to get him fit. Not sure why he was subbed yesterday.
  • Ofoborh - Presumably he's just going to quietly leave over the summer.

I have no idea what our best midfield is any more. Worryingly, I don't think Gio does either. Genuinely no idea where that leaves us other than knowing we need a few players of really quality to improve out first XI. That's been the case for a couple of seasons though.... If we don't have the money, then we need to make better use of the players we have, including the younger ones - that's where I think we might struggle with Gio in charge as he's looked out of his depth at times.

Forwards

• Morelos - We have to build a team round him, but also have a plan for when he's not fit. I think he's been treated poorly by Gio - run in to ground, when we should be able to cope in Scotland without him.
  • Itten - Surely will leave.
  • Kent - Inconsistent. Flatters to deceive at times. No doubting the talent, but sometimes could benefit from some time on the bench when its not going his way. Seems undroppable though. Will that Leeds bid finally materialise?
  • Roofe - Another one who we know is going to have injury problems, but I think he's a great striker. Just a shame we drop him in to the team and don't play to his strengths. Again, can we not have a system where he and Morelos can play? Or give Morelos a break by playing Roofe and a system which suits him?
  • Sakala - I'm a big fan of his, but he's another we seem to have signed without knowing where we're going to play them or how we're going to integrate them in to the team.
  • Wright - After a very promising start, seems to have fallen out of favour and didn't take what chances he was given this year. Another squad player or is he one to move on? Or does he deserve another chance if we have a clearout in the summer? 

Like the midfielders, I've no idea where that leaves us. Light on quality certainly, but there's so many question marks over our tactics, formation etc that I've no idea what our medium-term plans are.

When I think about it, a lot of these players have looked worse under GvB. 

If we were to give this squad to a decent manager, they get a better response. Give the job to Bielsa and watch what happens. 

For GvB to be a success, it's going to take a complete rebuild, and I just don't agree with that approach. It's not sustainable. We can't do it every time a new manager comes in. 

I think the players are fine, but Wilson has to take the blame for appointing GvB. 

I would sack GvB. Not because he's a bad manager per se, but because he's not fitting in with our squad. He's not able to get a tune out of this team. He'd need a complete rebuild, which we cannot afford. 

7 minutes ago, ascender said:

So looking at the squad.... And being concerned by some of those contracts being run down on players who we all thought we might get big money for, but its looking increasingly unlikely...

I think there's no doubt the squad has suffered from under-investment - or rather investment in the wrong places. We have a very bloated squad and seem to have prioritised quantity over quality.

I know the line is that nothing happened during pre-season, but I'd love to have been a fly on the wall during that time as neither the players or the management team looked up for it this season. The Malmo game was a real warning of things to come. What's even more frustrating is that we've gone backwards in some regards this season and the (two) management teams have been unable to resolve some blindingly obvious issues on the park.

BTW, I'm saying all of this while realising I'm watching probably the most successful and consistent Rangers team in Europe I've ever seen in my life. Which makes it all the more baffling that we've stuttered so badly in Scotland during the same timeframe.

Keepers

• McGregor - Retires.
  • McLaughlin - Deserves a run as number 1
  • McRorie & a.n.other as backup? Or when do we expect McRorie to step up and be the number 2/challenge for 1? If not soon, should we not just be moving him on? 

Unless we pull off a big coup with a new number one, maybe a young prospect from Europe who's good enough to be our #1 for years to come, I guess we'll just be signing a new number 2.

Centre Backs

• Goldson - Will go for nothing. Can't believe we've let him run his contract down and I'm still of the opinion he should maybe have gone as part of the Gerrard rebuild. Still seems suspect to dealing with long balls and anything not on his right foot.
  • Helander - I think he's our best CB, but clearly has fitness issues.
  • Balogun - Good cover, but I'd like to see a first-choice CB signed. He's fast, his attitude is good, but not a commanding presence.
  • Jack Simpson - Another one who I'm surprised we signed. Surely Leon King could have covered that position? Surely he'll leave.
  • Souttar - I still think we should have signed him in January, would definitely have helped shore things up a bit in the league.

So we're after a first-choice CB in the Summer to play alongside Helander with Souttar and Balogun as cover?

Full Backs

• Barisic - That 2M offer from Southampton looks like it could have been a great bit of business for us. His injury ahead of the Euros was poor timing and he's struggled with form all season. Which, last season apart, has been the story of his time here.
  • Bassey - Our number one LB for next year right? He's only 22 and is improving all the time, seems to have his head screwed on right too.
  • Tavernier - What a signing he's been. I've been saying for a few years though, that like Goldson, I can't help but shake this nagging doubt that we should have moved him on. Regardless of his amazing input, he and Goldson have been constants in a changing squad which has exhibited the same character weaknesses time and time again.

I don't think he will leave though, so that means with Zukowski as deputy, Sands can also play there, we're just going to be in the market for a LB? I'd not be against us signing a new first choice RB and let Tav go with our best wishes.

Midfielders

• Arfield - I think he's still got a part to play as a squad player as he does like to get beyond the front line frequently. He seems to start seasons poorly, then come on to a game though. So maybe he's another one who we can't afford to carry anymore and we need to start using youth more for those games where we rest players or need something different?
  • Aribo - Inconsistent. Another big hope but seems to be one who is undroppable and un-subbable. I wonder if the grind of the Scottish game has just taken its toll on him and a few others to the point of disinterest.
  • Davis - I guess he'll retire, but I've been surprised by just how much he's been sidelined by Gio. What a servant though.
  • Hagi - Like Arfield, I think he offers us something different, but we've not got the best from him so far and again, I don't know if we know his best position.
  • Jack - If he can stay fit he must be the one we build the midfield around?
  • Kamara - He was looking like the one who might go for big money, but has drifted off as the season has gone on. Same as Aribo. He's been played in a few different positions too. But surely there's a place for him?
  • Lundstram - He's come on to a game as the season has progressed, but how many players like him, Davis, Kamara, who can play that role do we need? 
  • Sands - He's looked good, but maybe not the 1st choice starter we need. So he's a squad player... How many of those do we need though?
  • Lowry - I'd hope we'd make much more use of him next season, even though he's young. Remember Stephen Kelly though? 
  • Ramsey - will move on somewhere, but its a shame its taken us this long to get him fit. Not sure why he was subbed yesterday.
  • Ofoborh - Presumably he's just going to quietly leave over the summer.

I have no idea what our best midfield is any more. Worryingly, I don't think Gio does either. Genuinely no idea where that leaves us other than knowing we need a few players of really quality to improve out first XI. That's been the case for a couple of seasons though.... If we don't have the money, then we need to make better use of the players we have, including the younger ones - that's where I think we might struggle with Gio in charge as he's looked out of his depth at times.

Forwards

• Morelos - We have to build a team round him, but also have a plan for when he's not fit. I think he's been treated poorly by Gio - run in to ground, when we should be able to cope in Scotland without him.
  • Itten - Surely will leave.
  • Kent - Inconsistent. Flatters to deceive at times. No doubting the talent, but sometimes could benefit from some time on the bench when its not going his way. Seems undroppable though. Will that Leeds bid finally materialise?
  • Roofe - Another one who we know is going to have injury problems, but I think he's a great striker. Just a shame we drop him in to the team and don't play to his strengths. Again, can we not have a system where he and Morelos can play? Or give Morelos a break by playing Roofe and a system which suits him?
  • Sakala - I'm a big fan of his, but he's another we seem to have signed without knowing where we're going to play them or how we're going to integrate them in to the team.
  • Wright - After a very promising start, seems to have fallen out of favour and didn't take what chances he was given this year. Another squad player or is he one to move on? Or does he deserve another chance if we have a clearout in the summer? 

Like the midfielders, I've no idea where that leaves us. Light on quality certainly, but there's so many question marks over our tactics, formation etc that I've no idea what our medium-term plans are.

I think there be a lot more of those players leaving than you seem to suggest.

anyone who’s contract is up will be moved on.

anyone going into their final year of their contract will be moved on ( or will try to move on to get some sort of a fee) except maybe Morelos 

We don't have enough good players 

We don't have any money 

We have a dud as a manager 

We still have some fans that behave like morons

We are up the proverbial shit creek in a leaky boat 

38 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

I think there be a lot more of those players leaving than you seem to suggest.

anyone who’s contract is up will be moved on.

anyone going into their final year of their contract will be moved on ( or will try to move on to get some sort of a fee) except maybe Morelos 

If it was a game of football manager, I'd be getting rid of most of them! I also can't believe we've not been able to renew some more contracts though, so I've got a sinking feeling about some more players leaving for reduced fees.

I'd also let Gio go at the end of the season, but that's probably not realistic. The team are under-performing, but I'd have expected a much better reaction to playing under Gio given his playing career. I just think a lot of guys like Aribo, Kamara and maybe even Kent aren't cut out for this pressure and/or have had enough of Scottish football.

As much as the European games are amazing, it must be pretty depressing playing against teams four times a season who just want to defend at all costs, on crappy pitches, whilst time-wasting, getting lumps kicked out of you etc. 

57 minutes ago, ascender said:

concerned by some of those contracts being run down on players who we all thought we might get big money for

Need to look at selling Helander, Morelos and Lowry if we cant get them to extend. I personally wouldn't extend Helander given his fitness issues.

I'd also move on Roofe if we get a decent offer.