I get there's always a knee-jerk reaction after a disappointing defeat like Sunday's, but the level of pessimism surprises me. Had Morelos been fit I don't think we'd have lost on Sunday, his ability to hold up the ball, occupy centre-backs and operate as fulcrum for the team can't be underestimated. If we had an alternative to him, someone who could also play with their back to goal, bring midfielders in and win free kicks in their half it's a different match. So we're one player away from matching them. Plus Celtic have 3 important players in the their squad who are on loan, Jota, Carter-Vickers and Meada, there's no guarantee that at least 2 of them will still be their next season. 

We don't require wholesale changes, we do need strengthened and I expect we'll lose at least a couple of key players in the summer. We should be able to sign a centre-half who is as good as Goldson surely. I don't know if Soutar is that player, but presumably our scouts and manager do. In Robbie Fraser we already have a deputy left back, I'd be very surprised if he doesn't step up from the B team in summer, he's had a great season for the Bs. I expect Leon King and Lowry will also become first team squad members next season, of the crop currently out on loan I expect Katic and maybe Ben Williamson will join them in the squad, I can't see any of the others making it at Rangers though.  

Celtic will have access to Champion's League money, a huge bonus for them, but there's no guarantees they'll spend it wisely, they haven't in the past. Plus their squad will lose players in the summer or else they'll have to spend big simply to keep it as it is. They've spent millions to get a wee bit in front of us, let's see what the next few months bring. Financially we're in a slightly better place than we were last season with the Paterson money and the Europa run. 

Plus, I've not given up on this season yet, there's still football to be played. 

On 03/04/2022 at 16:11, CammyF said:

We are obviously skint so we're not going to buy big in the summer.

This is the biggest problem.

On 03/04/2022 at 16:11, CammyF said:

However if we are completely honest, our current board are clueless, spineless and need replacing.

The board have stepped up and provided the finance to get us in a position where we won the league last season and are in the QFs of the Europa League. They've done an incredible job from where we were.

There isn't anyone else ready to step in and provide additional finance, which we appear to be still getting from them. If they walk away then the club is in more financial difficulty and the problems grow.

We can complain about valid individual issues like the ticket office, Edmiston House etc but the biggest issue is who keeps the lights on.

6 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

We don't require wholesale changes, we do need strengthened and I expect we'll lose at least a couple of key players in the summer.

I think that's a bit optimistic John.

We will lose McGregor, Goldson, Davis, Arfield out of contract in the summer. We need a top keeper to replace McGregor IMO.

Kent, Morelos, Aribo, Helander all have one year remaining and should be renewed or sold. In Helanders case he cant stay fit so would prefer to move him on. Worst case scenario is we fail to move Kent, Morelos and Aribo and lose them for nothing. 

Lowry is in his last year and needs to be renewed or promoting him to first team duties and developing him for his next club wont do us much good.

Agree RE Leon King. Now at the point we either need to play him and give him games or try to get some money for his potential. Katic is an interesting one. By all accounts his performances have been improving so i wouldn't be adverse in having him back. At the same time if we get a decent bid for him it may be best for both parties to move on.

Real question marks over the quality of Itten and Sakala. If we can move them on and reinvest we should. Roofe cant stay fit so we should move him on and reinvest if we can. He takes too big a wage to spend that much time in the treatment room.

Kamara was a big asset for us under Gerrard but now looks a shadow of the player and how much would we get for him? 

I think these questions were as valid in December when we were top as they are now.

35 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

This is the biggest problem.

The board have stepped up and provided the finance to get us in a position where we won the league last season and are in the QFs of the Europa League. They've done an incredible job from where we were.

There isn't anyone else ready to step in and provide additional finance, which we appear to be still getting from them. If they walk away then the club is in more financial difficulty and the problems grow.

We can complain about valid individual issues like the ticket office, Edmiston House etc but the biggest issue is who keeps the lights on.

They may be keeping the lights on but my description of them remains valid. 

They are not/who we need to take us to the next level. 

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

If there's an aberration, it was last season, not this season. The recovery and rebuilding has quite a long way still to travel. Stick with it. This is a time to rally round, not to lose faith and run away.

That's fine if its accompanied with some transparency and expectation setting. Ross Wilsons comments at the AGM about us not having to sell players as we are comfortable financially is not quite how it played out in January.

2 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Will the board give the manager the money to spend? We took in circa 15 million for Gerrard&Co and Patterson. Manager got some loans.

One lesson I learned from the wilderness years was the club comes far ahead of trophies. I do not want to see profligate spending if it puts the club in jeopardy. No more gambling. What we spend, we first have to earn.

4 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

That's fine if its accompanied with some transparency and expectation setting. Ross Wilsons comments at the AGM about us not having to sell players as we are comfortable financially is not quite how it played out in January.

Surely with that Gerrard and the European run we are breaking even and can use sales money to buy players.