SPFL Clubs Vote To Approve Introduction Of VAR

When VAR has been used at our European games, the reaction of the fans is interesting, particularly when the VAR decision goes against us.

Take the disallowed Roofe goal against Braga. We were ecstatic when the goal went in. Then it dawned on us that it was being questioned, Then the ref went to the touchline and we knew it would be ruled out. Then it was ruled out. It didn't take that long for all this to happen and the change in emotions was stark, but the decision was accepted by the crowd and the game moved on. Maybe the reason for this is that there is a greater willingness to accept referees decisions in Europe. While referees do not always get things right, the level of competence is seen as greater than domestically and the question of bias is non existent.

Would this be the same in a domestic game? Time will tell, but the accusations of bias by referees in Scotland will not be overcome by VAR. It may help in blatant offsides being identified, but I suspect that the majority of penalties will go the way the referee sees it. VAR does not overrule referees judgement so dodgy penalties will continue.  There will be much scrutiny of the VAR referees and I see that very quickly we will be saying "What's the point of VAR?" when decisions are scrutinised at length and found wanting.

Our 3-2 vs Dortmund was also un-VAR'ed, when Morelos snatched the ball from the German defender, who actually kicked Morelos as the latter went passed him stealing the ball and fell. To man, the German TV reporter and commentator, like the Scottish ones, agreed that this was not a foul. Yet, the ref only saw a couple of angles and not the relevant one (which we got on TV), so he made the "wrong" decision. It happens.

Dunno how it was in the stadium, but I saw the "hand ball" by Borna a few times in slow-motion, but even in the angle the ref had on his VAR screen, it hardly looked that he handled, stopped or even really touched the ball (it did not change direction or spin). So I found that a strange one.

5 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Our 3-2 vs Dortmund was also un-VAR'ed, when Morelos snatched the ball from the German defender, who actually kicked Morelos as the latter went passed him stealing the ball and fell. To man, the German TV reporter and commentator, like the Scottish ones, agreed that this was not a foul. Yet, the ref only saw a couple of angles and not the relevant one (which we got on TV), so he made the "wrong" decision. It happens.

Dunno how it was in the stadium, but I saw the "hand ball" by Borna a few times in slow-motion, but even in the angle the ref had on his VAR screen, it hardly looked that he handled, stopped or even really touched the ball (it did not change direction or spin). So I found that a strange one.

yep, IMO both decisions were wrong. VAR will not be some silver bullet to our refereeing issues in Scotland. But if it helps then its an improvement.

VAR succeeds in getting the majority of decisions correct.

However, like the previous posts I agree it will remove spontaneity from the game. A dozen incidents of goal initially awarded, goes to a VAR check and, then cancelled; will condition supporters into different behaviour.

A couple of VAR checks during the EL matches have resulted in myself and fans around me asking, "What's going on?".

I think it'll temper goal celebrations somewhat and that takes the single most exhilarating moment out of being at a football match.

We’ve been denied 3 goals at home in the Europa league since Christmas all of which should have stood in my opinion (including Ramsey’s one against Braga which was over the line)

I welcome VAR but it isn’t foolproof 

The Decision Review System in cricket is well established now, combining various forms of technological assistance to off field umpires in order to review decisions.  Initially when it was brought in, there continued to be controversies and you do still get the odd one, but they have become fewer and fewer over the years.  What it has done is lead to an increased standard of umpiring, as particularly for LBW decisions, the feedback from DRS has enabled umpires to quickly learn from mistakes and improve their on field decision making.  There are some elite umpires now whose accuracy (when compared to the DRS review) is very high.

If that experience is anything to go by, I think we'll see improvements but it will take time.  Oh and cricket umpires are professional - I think the semi-pro status of our referees will come even more into focus in the coming years, particularly where VAR highlights weaknesses that can only be addressed through the sort of training and professional development that can be achieved if they go full-time.