[FT] Motherwell 1 - 3 Rangers (Wright 14', 47'; Tavernier 62' pen)

On 24/04/2022 at 06:02, Bluedell said:

The Motherwell challenge wasn't as bad as the Balogun one.  Balogun was a definite red. I don't think the Motherwell one was and if that had been our player I'd be hopeful it wasn't a red. 

It was a red all day long.  Both feet were off the ground and that means he is out of control.  Given he also made contact with Wright means that it also endangered an opponent.  Red all day long for me

Seen people talking about Balogun's being different because he went over the top of the ball. 

The ball is almost irrelevant though. 

It's about force and control and likelihood to cause injury and indeed intent. 

sportscene concluded that because wright had managed to throw himself out of the way of the tackle and save his leg from breaking it was probably a yellow. 

Utter embarrassing nonsense. 

3 hours ago, the gunslinger said:

Seen people talking about Balogun's being different because he went over the top of the ball. 

sportscene concluded that because wright had managed to throw himself out of the way of the tackle and save his leg from breaking it was probably a yellow. 

Sportscene is embarrassing end of story.

Full of second & third rate former players masquerading as pundits who don’t seem to understand the rules of the game

1 hour ago, the gunslinger said:

to see the rangers

That’s what Rangers TV is for. Or any of Rangers’ social media platforms

Edited by Bill

17 hours ago, the gunslinger said:

They honestly tried to justify it in that way ?  What an embarrassment indeed.

If you look at Balogun's he actually gets the ball and his momentum through the ball rolls his foot over the ball.  Is it a red ?  Borderline for me but certainly can't complain too heavily as it could have seriously injured the opponent.

Look at Ojala's tackle on Wright though.  It is actually, IMO, WORSE than Balogun's for reasons previously explained.  Both feet off the ground (Balogun's trailing leg was on the ground, so Balogun was in control).  Both feet off the ground immediately means you are out of control.  The fact he also caught Wright means he clearly was endangering an opponent.  Wright avoiding a leg break is completely irrelevant.  Not so sure there was intent but he didnt get any more of the ball than Balogun did.

I am actually surprised that any Rangers fans can accept Balgun's was a red but consider Ojala's a yellow - differing opinions I guess :) - for me though, if anything, the cards were in the reverse of what they could/should have been.  Balogun's was more a yellow than Ojala's and Ojala's was more a red than Balogun's.

What is almost being forgotten is that Rangers really should have finished that game with more players on the pitch than Motherwell due to the shirt pulling inconsistencies.  Arfield booked for shirt pulling, yet how many Motherwell players avoided the same booking fate ?  And at least one of them was booked for the penalty too, which would have meant red.

VAR can't come soon enough, although some of those decisions, admittedly, wouldnt be overturned (yellows for shirt pulling for example)

I'd need to see the M'well tackle again but he didn't have his studs up, from what I recall. 

Balogun's studs went over the ball and into their player's leg.

If it was up to me, they'd both be yellows but I can see why Balogun was sent off and their player wasn't.

5 minutes ago, craig said:

They honestly tried to justify it in that way ?  What an embarrassment indeed.

If you look at Balogun's he actually gets the ball and his momentum through the ball rolls his foot over the ball.  Is it a red ?  Borderline for me but certainly can't complain too heavily as it could have seriously injured the opponent.

Look at Ojala's tackle on Wright though.  It is actually, IMO, WORSE than Balogun's for reasons previously explained.  Both feet off the ground (Balogun's trailing leg was on the ground, so Balogun was in control).  Both feet off the ground immediately means you are out of control.  The fact he also caught Wright means he clearly was endangering an opponent.  Wright avoiding a leg break is completely irrelevant.  Not so sure there was intent but he didnt get any more of the ball than Balogun did.

I am actually surprised that any Rangers fans can accept Balgun's was a red but consider Ojala's a yellow - differing opinions I guess :) - for me though, if anything, the cards were in the reverse of what they could/should have been.  Balogun's was more a yellow than Ojala's and Ojala's was more a red than Balogun's.

What is almost being forgotten is that Rangers really should have finished that game with more players on the pitch than Motherwell due to the shirt pulling inconsistencies.  Arfield booked for shirt pulling, yet how many Motherwell players avoided the same booking fate ?  And at least one of them was booked for the penalty too, which would have meant red.

VAR can't come soon enough, although some of those decisions, admittedly, wouldnt be overturned (yellows for shirt pulling for example)

Yes mate. Was the girl who said this  "because he rolled with the tackle we have to agree with Nick Walsh it is a yellow "

Totally agree on the other points.