Rangers looking at midfielder Sissako (Waregem) and Aberdeen youngster Pollard

I`ll make that Transfer Thread early next week.

Going by what we have seen this and the previous seasons, IMHO, certain players get far too much playing time despite not performing consistently a high level ... or a level they are capable of. Thus, they seemingly ended up in a comfort zone and it showed in their level of performance and application. This may sound harder than it is intended, but yesterday was a prime example of Aribo jogging about for much of the game with hardly any impact whatsoever. One shot and a goal that came to him more or less by error-stricken Eintracht play. How he made it to the 100+ mins was totally beyond me. Likewise, when we have Jack and Ludnstram in midfield, Kamara's "free role" usually yields next to no results, unless he picks himself up and plays further up the field. Yet, he drops too deep and is a blunt weapon. When you have attacking power like Sakala, Roofe, Ramsey, Lowry, Arfield et al on the bench, watching this struggle (week in and week out) is even more dire. Now, the players don`t pick themselves, but for some reason, SG and Gio deem  them worth a starting slot far too often. Maybe it is time that someone indeed comes in with a big bid and relieves our manager of this "problem". Other than injury, we probably won`t see much change. Same goes with formations.

Goldson - In the cold light of day, he had one really good season, the rest was what you would expect of a Rangers centre-half. This season, he went back to that "normal" level, and like yesterday, showed, that there will be life after him at Ibrox. Thanks for the memories and good luck.

McGregor - I don`t think we will have him with us next season. For all the good saves he made, the errors that de facto cost us the title earlier this year will probably stick to the memory for some time to come.

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

I`ll make that Transfer Thread early next week.

Going by what we have seen this and the previous seasons, IMHO, certain players get far too much playing time despite not performing consistently a high level ... or a level they are capable of. Thus, they seemingly ended up in a comfort zone and it showed in their level of performance and application. This may sound harder than it is intended, but yesterday was a prime example of Aribo jogging about for much of the game with hardly any impact whatsoever. One shot and a goal that came to him more or less by error-stricken Eintracht play. How he made it to the 100+ mins was totally beyond me. Likewise, when we have Jack and Ludnstram in midfield, Kamara's "free role" usually yields next to no results, unless he picks himself up and plays further up the field. Yet, he drops too deep and is a blunt weapon. When you have attacking power like Sakala, Roofe, Ramsey, Lowry, Arfield et al on the bench, watching this struggle (week in and week out) is even more dire. Now, the players don`t pick themselves, but for some reason, SG and Gio deem  them worth a starting slot far too often. Maybe it is time that someone indeed comes in with a big bid and relieves our manager of this "problem". Other than injury, we probably won`t see much change. Same goes with formations.

Goldson - In the cold light of day, he had one really good season, the rest was what you would expect of a Rangers centre-half. This season, he went back to that "normal" level, and like yesterday, showed, that there will be life after him at Ibrox. Thanks for the memories and good luck.

McGregor - I don`t think we will have him with us next season. For all the good saves he made, the errors that de facto cost us the title earlier this year will probably stick to the memory for some time to come.

So that's SG and GvB that favour players that you dislike, along with most of the fanbase. 

But, no, it's everyone else that's wrong. 

giphy.gif

Just now, Rousseau said:

So that's SG and GvB that favour players that you dislike, along with most of the fanbase. 

But, no, it's everyone else that's wrong. 

Well, it's not about likes or dislikes, I have nothing against Kamara (who is a truly gifted footballer) or Aribo (likewise). But when players are picked to no reasonable gain and with hardly any contribution or end product ahead of - in all likelyhood - better options for a game at hand, you ask questions of why they kept being picked.

Aribo`s role yesterday was clear, and I did not exactly saw him excelling it. Again. For 80+ mins he was jogging about.

Kamara`s role was ... well, you can try to tell me. We had Jack and Lundstram doing the hard shift in CM and DM. Kamara or either of the aforementioned was not needed. And we`ve seen this before too. We pack the midfield with CMs and DMs time and again, even against teams in low blocks. Play wonderful passes in DM and along the half-way line (as if we were doing ice hockey or handball), but show little creativity or penetration - not to mention goal threat. And that`s been the case throughout SG`s reign in the Scottish league. So yes, I for one would prefer an attacking player instead of a second or even third CM/DM in these games, games that we have toiled time and again in. And results are the facts that show how true this is, in case your memory is on the polar-opposite of mine.

25 minutes ago, weebluedevil said:

Inspired by the posts above, my thoughts on the squad for next year in terms of who we keep, develop and sell (some reluctantly but probably necessary to fund incoming transfers)

Keep GK: McLaughlin, McCrorie  (ADD GK)

Keep DEF: Tavernier (C), Balogun, King, Bassey, Devine  (ADD 2 x CB, ADD LB)

Keep MID: Lunstram, Jack, Arfield, Lowry, McKinnon  (ADD CAM)

Keep FWD: Morelos, Roofe, Sakala, Wright (ADD CF, ADD RW) 

That's only 23, but would prefer to add only 5 quality players that will be contenders for the 1st XI, and add other worthy youngsters to make the rest of the squad. 

The following I see retiring, moving on/loaned out, or be sold for decent money (if the right offers come in)

Out GK: Firth, McGregor

Out DEF: Helander, Barisic, Goldson, Simpson, Zukowski (loan), Katic 

Out MID: Kamara, Davis, Aribo, Kent, Ofoborh

Out FWD: Itten 

I'd reluctantly add Morelos to that list if a good offer came in, but I think he'll stay. Bassey, I'd really want to keep unless a silly offer comes in e.g. £25m+, but equally can see him being sold for less. 

How we use our youngsters will be crucial. I really want to see Lowry command a regular place, and see more opportunities for King, McKinnon, Devine, McCann Weston and others. In fact I'd start from Saturday, they've already shown their quality against Hearts. 

Huge gamble selling Alfie with no proven replacement  - Sakala isn't a replacement, Roofe is a great player but injury prone and Itten isn't good enough.