Rangers looking at midfielder Sissako (Waregem) and Aberdeen youngster Pollard

On 20/05/2022 at 04:53, ascender said:

He's hardly untested though. He's looked like one of the best players on the park in the internationals I've seen him play for example?

We are stacked in central midfield but I'm hoping for a bit of a clearout and a fresh approach. I don't know how you can compare him to Ramsey which was one of those gambles which would either turn out brilliantly or be a massive waste of time and money.

I'm skeptical about the Gilmour thing happening, but if it does, he's someone you could build your midfield around for years to come.

Imagine Gilmour as your pivot, with an eye for a pass, Lowry with his creativity, and providing Alfredo with tons of chances....

On 20/05/2022 at 04:55, Rousseau said:

He's spent a third of the time on the bench.

For Norwich. 

Even if he is better than Kamara/Davis/Lundstram/Aribo, which I doubt, I wouldn't bring in someone else's youngster for a season.

That's a horrible move. 

If it's a permanent move, I'm all for it. But, that's highly unlikely.

I did think the Ramsey move was a silly rumour, though... 

His Norwich move was a travesty for the lad.  He is a footballer who likes to get on the ball - at Norwich all he was ever doing was chasing the ball.  Give him the ball and he can do things.  Make him chase the ball and he is completely ineffective.

The approach that Rangers and Norwich have to the game is completely different.  He would see TONS of the ball for us, which would let him showcase his talents.   

On 20/05/2022 at 05:53, Yorkie Bear said:

I'm also wary of bringing in a loan player unless we also get a buy clause for a reasonable amount (which we wont get with Gilmour). If we dont manage to buy the players we have targetted, then a loan deal at the close of the window may make sense to plug any gaps we have. 

If he only has a year left then we may have a chance.  Depends on player.

11 minutes ago, craig said:

How is he untested ?  Played in the EPL for Chelsea, played all season in the EPL for Norwich (which was an awful move for him AND Chelsea) - has been MOTM against Liverpool when up against Fabinho... TWICE.... is already a proven international.  Part of a CL winning squad.

How is he untested ?

I think he's been rather inconsistent at Norwich, when I would've expected him to be a regular starter. He's spent a third of the time on the bench. 

He might just suit a better team, though. 

I stand by my point: I don't want him on a loan. (I would bite your hand off for him on a permanent deal, though.)

On 20/05/2022 at 06:59, CammyF said:

I hate mentioning Celtic, but they have used the loan market very successfully over last 5 or 6 years.

They have... but they also have had a free run, generally, for 4 of those years.  Loans with options to buy are the best way to operate - Hagi being a good example for us.

31 minutes ago, craig said:

The boy absolutely gets it.  He just does.  Genuinely think that he greatly appreciates us picking him up from relative obscurity at Leicester and wants to repay that faith shown in him.  Oozes class, on AND off the pitch.  Can't believe he had a half dozen clubs reject him for their academies just 6 or 7 years ago.

Adding to this.  Bassey is absolutely captain material IMHO.  What a unit, what a player, what a genuinely humble person.  I would be building my team around him, Lundstram (yes, I know he is 28 but he gets it and is quality), Lowry & Morelos (who actually looks like he is loving life at Rangers just now)

22 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

What makes you say that? Thought he was one of us?

He is.  His mother's side of the family are massive bluenoses - but I believe his father's side are Tims (could be wrong on that - but his mother's side are definitely massive bluenoses).  Personally think that the family know that a move to Celtic wouldn't be a good one for him (they will never forgive his mother for the "I am not touching the green on that scarf" when he signed for Norwich).  They called her a bigot at the time :roflmao:

7 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I think he's been rather inconsistent at Norwich, when I would've expected him to be a regular starter. He's spent a third of the time on the bench. 

He might just suit a better team, though. 

I stand by my point: I don't want him on a loan. (I would bite your hand off for him on a permanent deal, though.)

That is because they hardly ever had the ball and the lad was chasing shadows, not being able to play his game.  When Farke went (who plays the game the right way and who Gilmour would have done well under) they changed the way they played, which never suited his skillset.

He "might" suit a better team ??  Mate, he has already proven that when at Chelsea - MOTM against Liverpool twice and raved about for half that season.  The only reason he fell out of the team was because Tuchel came in and didnt give him game time - got to remember in that Chelsea midfield he was competing with Jorginho, Kante and Kovacic - and I actually think Gilmour, at the time, was playing better than Jorginho.

In our team, with as much of the ball as we have - the lad would excel IMHO.  Like having a much younger version of Steven Davis. 

7 minutes ago, craig said:

That is because they hardly ever had the ball and the lad was chasing shadows, not being able to play his game.  When Farke went (who plays the game the right way and who Gilmour would have done well under) they changed the way they played, which never suited his skillset.

He "might" suit a better team ??  Mate, he has already proven that when at Chelsea - MOTM against Liverpool twice and raved about for half that season.  The only reason he fell out of the team was because Tuchel came in and didnt give him game time - got to remember in that Chelsea midfield he was competing with Jorginho, Kante and Kovacic - and I actually think Gilmour, at the time, was playing better than Jorginho.

In our team, with as much of the ball as we have - the lad would excel IMHO.  Like having a much younger version of Steven Davis. 

From what I see, he's only played against Liverpool once, in the FA Cup, against their second string... :ninja: 

He was phenomenal against Man City and Arsenal, if I recall correctly? But it was only a couple of games, through necessity. 

I know he's a good player - you don't need to sell him. 

I just don't want him on loan. 

I would take him on a permanent, though.