Rangers v Spurs Pre-Season Friendly

5 hours ago, Devil's advocaat said:

I recall the fondly, a previous spurs friendly in the summer sun of Ibrox. Big Blessed Marv completely wiping out Robbie Keane, taking the ball, Keane, and a lump of Ibrox turf all in one splendidly timed interception.

Highlight of the day that was. 😁

He got lots of sympathy while he was stretchered off. Was out for months after too. 

8 hours ago, Devil's advocaat said:

I recall the fondly, a previous spurs friendly in the summer sun of Ibrox. Big Blessed Marv completely wiping out Robbie Keane, taking the ball, Keane, and a lump of Ibrox turf all in one splendidly timed interception.

Highlight of the day that was. 😁

I also remember Spurs at Ibrox on a blazing hot day in 1995 in the so-called Ibrox Tournament but unfortunately we didn't actually play against them.

Took the wife to a friendly against Spurs back in the early seventies during the game she asked were the tearoom was she settled for a lukewarm pie and a watery bovril at half time thank fuck she never asked were the ladies toilets were .

19 minutes ago, compo said:

Took the wife to a friendly against Spurs back in the early seventies during the game she asked were the tearoom was she settled for a lukewarm pie and a watery bovril at half time thank fuck she never asked were the ladies toilets were .

I think that would be August'71?

We played two pre-season friendlies against Everton and Spurs, three days apart. We won 2-1 against the Toffees, DJ getting a double and; defeated North Londoners 1-0, Bud notched.

I remember the Everton game for the performance of their left back, Terry Darracott. He was all action, booted everything, including putting a ball boy into the air after a mis-timed slide tackle. 

The Spurs match featured their heavily hyped England(13 goals in 24 internationals) centre forward, Martin Chivers. He was a BIG unit. Ronnie McKinnon gave him a lesson.

3 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

I think that would be August'71?

We played two pre-season friendlies against Everton and Spurs, three days apart. We won 2-1 against the Toffees, DJ getting a double and; defeated North Londoners 1-0, Bud notched.

I remember the Everton game for the performance of their left back, Terry Darracott. He was all action, booted everything, including putting a ball boy into the air after a mis-timed slide tackle. 

The Spurs match featured their heavily hyped England(13 goals in 24 internationals) centre forward, Martin Chivers. He was a BIG unit. Ronnie McKinnon gave him a lesson.

Think they also had Ralph Coates signed from Burnley wee baldy bloke with a comb over hairstyle 

10 minutes ago, compo said:

Think they also had Ralph Coates signed from Burnley wee baldy bloke with a comb over hairstyle 

It was a talented Tottenham side, they won the UEFA Cup against Wolves in a two legged final. As well as Coates and Chivers, they had Gilzean, Martin Peters, Mullery, Mike England(Wales Skipper), Cyril Knowles and, Pat Jennings.

Interestingly, the Everton side were very much fancied pre-season. They had Dai Davies(Wales Keeper), Darracott, Lyons, Harvey, Kendall, Ball, Connolly and, Joe Royal. Regarded as more of a team. The Toffees finished 15th to the Spurs 6th. Further, the Cockerels went to Goodison for the quarter-finals of the FA Cup and won 0-2. 

Clough's Derby County won the League.

• 4 weeks later...