[FT] RB Leipzig 1 - 0 Rangers

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I fully agree but wouldn't expect otherwise, regarding the Scottish press.  

I've thoroughly enjoyed all our Euro campaigns since Luxembourg and won't let biased reporting get in the way of that.

10 years ago our club was nearly finished and now we're 90 minutes/one victory away from a European final.  It's magnificent!

It's hard not to have enjoyed our recent European campaigns. We've done remarkably well and there have some amazing results / performances along the way. 

One more on Thursday would be brilliant. Come on Ibrox, weave your magic one more time. 

59 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

I thought they looked a step up from Braga to be honest.

I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought they were a very good side, the best we have faced so far IMO, if we hadn't sat in we might have got skelped!!, correct tactics from the boss.

They have enjoyed success away from home in EL this season winning by two clear goals in a few of their games. We have an outside fighting chance but we never really threatened them, however it's one match away from the final so it could happen! I'm just not convinced we have enough and they are a better side than us.

50 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought they were a very good side, the best we have faced so far IMO, if we hadn't sat in we might have got skelped!!, correct tactics from the boss.

They have enjoyed success away from home in EL this season winning by two clear goals in a few of their games. We have an outside fighting chance but we never really threatened them, however it's one match away from the final so it could happen! I'm just not convinced we have enough and they are a better side than us.

I thought Dortmund in first half at Ibrox were the best side I'd seen us face in a couple of decades. They looked capable of opening us up at will. 

Leipzig look on par with Dortmund IMO, and will expect to beat us easily at Ibrox if we open up. 

It's a conundrum for the management team as we need to score but need to stop them from scoring. We need players back (Roofe and Ramsey) but even at full strength it'll take one of our best ever European performance to progress to the final.

Not impossible as Ibrox can be a magical place at times

16 minutes ago, CammyF said:

I thought Dortmund in first half at Ibrox were the best side I'd seen us face in a couple of decades. They looked capable of opening us up at will. 

Leipzig look on par with Dortmund IMO, and will expect to beat us easily at Ibrox if we open up. 

It's a conundrum for the management team as we need to score but need to stop them from scoring. We need players back (Roofe and Ramsey) but even at full strength it'll take one of our best ever European performance to progress to the final.

Not impossible as Ibrox can be a magical place at times

Sorry to state the bleeding obvious but I feel like we need to get the first goal to have any chance of going through. If they score first, it could be a long old night

16 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Sorry to state the bleeding obvious but I feel like we need to get the first goal to have any chance of going through. If they score first, it could be a long old night

Obvious but 100% correct  - said last night whoever scores 1st goal next Thursday goes to the final.

Edited by CammyF

I think the first goal is very important but we can still beat them even if we concede first and I think they're capable of winning if we score first.

Folk saying they're no better than Braga aren't facing facts.  

21 hours ago, CammyF said:

Oh agree, but we can but hope for consistancy in reporting. I feel our heroics in Europe have been underplayed in Scotland, compare and contrast with the praise we are receiving in rest of UK and further afield. 

This is not directed at anyone in particular, I just want to say while I understand the sentiment I don't see the need to express it again and again and again. The fact is that Rangers is generally hated in Scotland and by a wide spectrum of the community. It's been like that for a very long time and it isn't going to change, no matter how often we point it out. It's utterly pointless to constantly highlight the lack of impartiality towards Rangers - everyone knows how it is and no one is ever going to alter their attitude because some Rangers fans compile a list of grievances. Why would anyone hope for a change they already know will never come? It makes no sense. 

21 minutes ago, Bill said:

This is not directed at anyone in particular, I just want to say while I understand the sentiment I don't see the need to express it again and again and again. The fact is that Rangers is generally hated in Scotland and by a wide spectrum of the community. It's been like that for a very long time and it isn't going to change, no matter how often we point it out. It's utterly pointless to constantly highlight the lack of impartiality towards Rangers - everyone knows how it is and no one is ever going to alter their attitude because some Rangers fans compile a list of grievances. Why would anyone hope for a change they already know will never come? It makes no sense. 

IMHO we were "hated" in the late 80s and early 90s due to our success, we were the team to beat, and I understand that. 

More recently, it's down to more political reasons, we are seen as the last pillar of Unionism in a country where the noise minority are "'Nationalists". 

However, whilst we shouldn't pander to the press, successive boards, s8nce the days of SDM have failed to defend us and we've been demonized beyond belief. Media and politicians can write lies about us knowing there are no consequences.

There is also a growing minority within our support whom believe and actively portray the negativity.

Domestically, we have a right to ask questions as we've fallen short this season, however, in Europe, we've done amazingly yet still some Rangers fans are downplaying the achievement.

3 hours ago, CammyF said:

IMHO we were "hated" in the late 80s and early 90s due to our success, we were the team to beat, and I understand that. 

More recently, it's down to more political reasons, we are seen as the last pillar of Unionism in a country where the noise minority are "'Nationalists". 

However, whilst we shouldn't pander to the press, successive boards, s8nce the days of SDM have failed to defend us and we've been demonized beyond belief. Media and politicians can write lies about us knowing there are no consequences.

There is also a growing minority within our support whom believe and actively portray the negativity.

Domestically, we have a right to ask questions as we've fallen short this season, however, in Europe, we've done amazingly yet still some Rangers fans are downplaying the achievement.

Yes, I get all that but the reasons why so many people appear to hate Rangers is utterly irrelevant to the point I was making, which is that continuing to be indignant about something we know won't change is a bit like continuing to complain that the grass is green or the sky is blue and expecting the arrangement to change. How many more pages have to be filled before the penny drops that we're simply shouting in our own private echo chamber? No one is listening, no one is persuaded and the only people who even notice are other Rangers fans. Who is it we think is paying attention to this never-ending indignation? Who exactly are we cataloguing all these grievances for? Who do we think is going to ride over the hill and rescue us from all this injustice? Is there a single Rangers fan who actually believes pointing out "media lies" will somehow put an end to them? Are we really that far removed from reality? It comes across like adolescents who haven't figured out yet how to cope with adversity.

Referees cheat Rangers ... yes, they do. The media disrespects Rangers at every opportunity ... yes, they do. The authorities treat Rangers differently ... yes, they do. The SNP regards Rangers fans as unionist pariahs ... yes, it does. But has all the outraged indignation piled high by Rangers fans made the merest iota of difference? More importantly, will it have the slightest effect in future. It doesn't take a genius to know the answer. So ... why do we bother?