[FT] RB Leipzig 1 - 0 Rangers

I've said prior to all knock-out ties, no matter the outcome, we have been outstanding in Europe and getting to the semi-final is a phenomenal achievement and *may be* a step to far. 

No matter the results over the two legs, we should be extremely proud of the players. 

Any result in Germany that keeps us in the tie would be outstanding and that includes a narrow defeat.

9 years ago today we travelled to face East Stirlingshire, today we travelled to Germany to play in a major European semi-final.

Winning 55 was a sign we were back, imagine the statement of getting to a European final would send? 

"See them march on"...

1 hour ago, CammyF said:

I've said prior to all knock-out ties, no matter the outcome, we have been outstanding in Europe and getting to the semi-final is a phenomenal achievement and *may be* a step to far. 

I never fancied us in both Dortmund ties! both Red Star ties! I did fancy us to put out Braga. Yet here we are in a semi final, and yet again we are underdogs, nothing new there!. Is this doable? yes, however we have excelled in the EL and I am proud of the teams run in this tournament.

However I am still gutted we have thrown the league away! worse is they will gain money from our fantastic coefficient tally! a right kick in the hee haws!!.

The sun is shining and it's Europa League Thursday again where RB Leipzig will provide arguably our hardest test so far in the knockout stages. Dortmund a better side but we perhaps had the element of surprise then. Not now. Will be a difficult match but we know we're capable...

In terms of the starting XI, despite the loss of Morelos, Roofe and Ramsey we still have plenty of options in terms of personnel and system. Will we see a 3-5-2 or one of our historically preferred 4-3-3 permutations? I suspect the latter but I'm still not sure of the actual XI.

I think Balogun has to start as he's out of Sunday's game. But then it's a case of Bassey or Barisic, Davis or Kamara, Wright or Sakala and Aribo or Arfield? Or could we see a curveball like Sands or Amad? Like I say, plenty of options so Leipzig may still yet face a surprise.

All in all, I think this will be the line-up and I can't wait to see!

FRalyKzVgAAGZMe?format=jpg&name=small

Leipzig have beaten Atalanta and Real Sociedad away this year. This month they beat Dortmund 4-1 away. They beat Man City and drew with PSG in the group stages of the CL. They are a top, top side and I'm (my usual) pessimistic about tonight.

But I also felt like that for much of our 2008 run, so who knows.

4 minutes ago, Frankie said:

The sun is shining and it's Europa League Thursday again where RB Leipzig will provide arguably our hardest test so far in the knockout stages. Dortmund a better side but we perhaps had the element of surprise then. Not now. Will be a difficult match but we know we're capable...

In terms of the starting XI, despite the loss of Morelos, Roofe and Ramsey we still have plenty of options in terms of personnel and system. Will we see a 3-5-2 or one of our historically preferred 4-3-3 permutations? I suspect the latter but I'm still not sure of the actual XI.

I think Balogun has to start as he's out of Sunday's game. But then it's a case of Bassey or Barisic, Davis or Kamara, Wright or Sakala and Aribo or Arfield? Or could we see a curveball like Sands or Amad? Like I say, plenty of options so Leipzig may still yet face a surprise.

All in all, I think this will be the line-up and I can't wait to see!

FRalyKzVgAAGZMe?format=jpg&name=small

I think that the formation will be the 4-2-3-1 that we've had success with recently.

He won't pick Balogun just because he's missing on Sunday. I think Gio doesn't have as much faith in Balogun as others and his sending off perhaps sealed that so I think it'll be Bassey and Barisic again.

Lundstrum and Jack will be sitting, which means no place for Davis unfortunately.

I think Sakala starts up front as there isn't any other option and I don't think he's going to experiment on false 9s or other out of the box tactics as it's too big a game to go with something untested.

Kent and Aribo pick themselves so it just remains a choice between Arfield and Wright, and he could go eihter way but I think he'll ultimately go with Arfield.