[FT] Celtic 1 - 1 Rangers (Sakala 67')

This was thier last game of the season effectively, or last least the biggest game they have left. Baring the 15 minutes they had after the goal, thier first chance really - they weren't in the game. For us it was a bit of a distraction from Thursday if truth be told. It was more of a 'must not get beaten badly' more than a 'must win.

Manager picked a strong team. Injury issues still apparent. Basically missing a very potent half of an attacking team. Morelos, Roofe, Hagi, Ramsay is a formidable front 3 and midfield #10. Despite this overall we were the better team up until they scored and the entire 2nd half. They looked dead on feet with about 15 to go and we should have went on to win the game.

Goal we conceded was typical of the sloppy defending we have been accustomed to. I thin Arfield gave the ball away cheaply in midfield, Sakala didn't track his run so tav was 2 v 1 and tried to pass Maeada onto Goldson giving him space to find a cross to Jota who got ahead of Barisic to finish. At that point I felt Barisic must be finished after this season we cant go on and rely on him for games like this given his track record at parkhead.

They had one or two other chances as we fell out the game, Maeda had a good chance but Mcgregor did well to put him off. (what a god awful footballer by the way)

Second half we were the much better team by some distance. Really started creating when Sakala was moved through the middle. His pace scared Vickers and Starfelt stiff. They always looked paniced trying to keep up with him. He scored a great goal to Harts near post. Should have scored later when he hit the post.

All in all content with the draw, even if we did win don't expect them to lose another game and drop points in another. Onto Thursday which is our biggest game in years.

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

10 hours ago, Nevermind said:

I cannot recall a game in which Ange has managed where at least two players haven't hit the deck holding their calves or hamstrings. He's going to burn his squad out. 

Shhh...

1 hour ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

This was thier last game of the season effectively, or last least the biggest game they have left. Baring the 15 minutes they had after the goal, thier first chance really - they weren't in the game. For us it was a bit of a distraction from Thursday if truth be told. It was more of a 'must not get beaten badly' more than a 'must win.

Manager picked a strong team. Injury issues still apparent. Basically missing a very potent half of an attacking team. Morelos, Roofe, Hagi, Ramsay is a formidable front 3 and midfield #10. Despite this overall we were the better team up until they scored and the entire 2nd half. They looked dead on feet with about 15 to go and we should have went on to win the game.

Goal we conceded was typical of the sloppy defending we have been accustomed to. I thin Arfield gave the ball away cheaply in midfield, Sakala didn't track his run so tav was 2 v 1 and tried to pass Maeada onto Goldson giving him space to find a cross to Jota who got ahead of Barisic to finish. At that point I felt Barisic must be finished after this season we cant go on and rely on him for games like this given his track record at parkhead.

They had one or two other chances as we fell out the game, Maeda had a good chance but Mcgregor did well to put him off. (what a god awful footballer by the way)

Second half we were the much better team by some distance. Really started creating when Sakala was moved through the middle. His pace scared Vickers and Starfelt stiff. They always looked paniced trying to keep up with him. He scored a great goal to Harts near post. Should have scored later when he hit the post.

All in all content with the draw, even if we did win don't expect them to lose another game and drop points in another. Onto Thursday which is our biggest game in years.

Thought the game was very similar to the Cup semi. Both teams having their moments in the first half with us taking control of the game in the 2nd half and looking the much fitter team. 

Either way, we didn't lose the league because of our results against them. We lost the league thanks to too many draws (especially from winning positions) against mediocre teams. This alßo happened under Gerrards watch to before he exited.

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

16 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Thought the game was very similar to the Cup semi. Both teams having their moments in the first half with us taking control of the game in the 2nd half and looking the much fitter team. 

Either way, we didn't lose the league because of our results against them. We lost the league thanks to too many draws (especially from winning positions) against mediocre teams. This happened under Gerrards watch to before he exited.

I agree to a point, but i often think back to what would have happened if we had played them at parkhead on the 2nd of Jan as scheduled. They would not have beaten us 3-0. It is what it is.

12 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

I agree to a point, but i often think back to what would have happened if we had played them at parkhead on the 2nd of Jan as scheduled. They would not have beaten us 3-0. It is what it is.

Celtic and Rangers always have a OF drubbing in them. That's been the way for years and I wasn't surprised in the slightest when they turned us over 3-0. I was surprised however that we threw away games against Hearts, Motherwell, Aberdeen and Ross County. That's 8 pts down the drain. Not to mention other draws v Aberdeen and Dundee Utd.

30 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Celtic and Rangers always have a OF drubbing in them. That's been the way for years and I wasn't surprised in the slightest when they turned us over 3-0. I was surprised however that we threw away games against Hearts, Motherwell, Aberdeen and Ross County. That's 8 pts down the drain. Not to mention other draws v Aberdeen and Dundee Utd.

They wouldn't have beaten us 3-0. No way. They were running out of bodies and the guys who did the damage for the most part against us hadn't signed yet. They were desperate for the game to be postponed.  

12 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

They wouldn't have beaten us 3-0. No way. They were running out of bodies and the guys who did the damage for the most part against us hadn't signed yet. They were desperate for the game to be postponed.  

Possibly but my point still stands. We didn't lose the league because of that 3-0 game. If anything the 2-1 had more impact than the Parkhead game.