Europa League Final 2022 - Official Match Thread

Gio needs to get over his conservatism. We have Ramsey and Roofe on the bench, if they are happy to play then they should be played for as long as they can be. Both of them are a goal threat, we needed that.

1 minute ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

If we are in the blame game, what about the sitter Kent missed at the end? It was harder to hit the keeper

He missed-what?- three chances, which, in a Final, he has to take.

Devastated - so much to pick the bones out of, but tonight is not the time. 

Proud of the players, can't underestimate the achievement of getting to the final but that was probably out best ever opportunity to win a major European Tourniment.

8 minutes ago, gisabeer said:

Absolutely fuck all.  In the end the tactics were far too negative.  1 pass forward 40 

Fucking back.  

Ramsey should have played at least 45 mins +. We produced nothing but bare-bone long-ball stuff. With Sakala we became more direct, Roofe took about 30 secs to create a chance. On hindsight, Ramsey should have played every match he can until he falls over. We have no-one with any sort of touch and vision (well, the latter you will find in Lowry) like him in the attacking half of the field. IMHO, we gave a just above-average side far too much respect and never changed those he effectively brought little early enough, namely Kamara and Aribo.

Let`s horse Hearts at the weekend, grab the cup and prepare for next season`s CL campaign.

Edited by der Berliner

6 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Truth be told, I knew when they told that Sakala was taken off for Ramsey "and penalties", that the "superstar" would cost us.

Exactly what I thought too. Anyway, no hard feelings with Ramsey, it could have happened to any of them. We just didn't play well enough on the night, but doesn't take anything away from this teams achievement and gives us confidence for next season. 

The better team won and it's not surprising really. The Bundesliga is a better league than the SPFL. Yes, I know that EF are below Dortmund and Red Bull but that's irrelevant really. If Rangers were in the EPL then it is possible that they could, in a one off situation, beat Liverpool and then Chelsea, only to lose in the next match to wolves and the following one to Newcastle, the one after to Southampton. Beating three German teams in one season is always unlikely.

Having said this, this season has been a big success. It is not just about 'silverware', winning trophies is not the only criterion for success. To me, success is being involved until the very end of the season, until the last kick of the most important match. I dare say that his is not how many see it, particularly at the moment, but to me it is certianly true.

I thought GVB made some poor decisions but not going to get into that tonight. Very fine margins. A ridiculous missed chance/save at the death and then Kamada’s penalty in off the post. Penalties in general. Really gutting to lose like that.