Europa League Final 2022 - Official Match Thread

55 minutes ago, Gribz said:

Excuse me?

You claim to just have been at the match yet you are the first one on here to pick bones about certain posts? - Just saying!

Apologies, I couldn't help myself.

I should really have picked up on the point about the salary that we don't pay him.

Not sure why you think one can't go to the game and then pick up a device to access the forum either. Lets not waste space discussing that any further though.

Absolutely gutted to go out on penalties.  Goldson's failure to cut out that cross and Kent's miss late in the game will haunt me.  I think most of the players gave their absolute all and can't be faulted for that.  Roofe should have been on earlier.  I can't help feeling it was an opportunity missed.

53 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Goldson on the other hand... why the f*ck would you leave that ball?! 

Even if there's no forward lurking about, a ball like that cannot be left. 

What concerns me is we lost two similar goals like that to the yahoos in the two games at Parkhead i.e a long cross ball in from the RB area

Absolutely fucking gutted. Am definitely proud of the team, but its hard not to be disappointed as we'll never get a better chance to win a European trophy.

Looking back on it, that was a terrible goal to lose, but we've had that sort of mistake in us all season unfortunately. Its down to those two moments, Goldson not putting the ball in to row z and Kent's miss. Penalties are always a lottery, we should have had the game won by then.

Roofe can't have been fit or I'm sure he'd have started, despite Gio saying he always knew that team would start. Morelos would have had a great time with that defence. We've been unlucky with our injuries this year.

Just back at Alicante base camp after bus back from Seville. Enjoyed the occasion and players done well to get us there.

can’t shake the perennial loser cloud over this squad though. That trophy was there for the taking and we couldn’t get over the line again. Onto Saturday which for me is a massive must win. Big changes need in the summer. We need quality players with the right mentality.

now I’m off to sleep by the pool in the sun. Watp

47 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

What concerns me is we lost two similar goals like that to the yahoos in the two games at Parkhead i.e a long cross ball in from the RB area

I think I moan at Goldson for those exact situations several times a season, when I think about it. 

He has a tendency to leave them. 

Arsenal's Ben White scored an OG recently against Newcastle by stretching to cut out that sort of ball. No one was criticising him for trying to cut it out, mainly his inability to get there quickly enough (he had been trying to step up, then got caught).

A defender has to dominate that area; intercept anything that comes near that front post. 

The upcoming SC Final is important. 

For all their quality, which I think this squad has in spades, it's only 1 trophy out of... how many? 12, 13?

That's not good enough. This squad is better than that. 

I think the LC Final against them a few years ago was massive. Having battered them for the full 90 minutes - something we hadn't done in years - only to lose in that manner was a big mental hit for these players. I think if we'd have won that trophy, more would have followed.