Europa League Final 2022 - Official Match Thread

2 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

The upcoming SC Final is important. 

For all their quality, which I think this squad has in spades, it's only 1 trophy out of... how many? 12, 13?

That's not good enough. This squad is better than that. 

I think the LC Final against them a few years ago was massive. Having battered them for the full 90 minutes - something we hadn't done in years - only to lose in that manner was a big mental hit for these players. I think if we'd have won that trophy, more would have followed. 

Domestic cups are unimportant in general but losing this one would be a blow at precisely the wrong time.

The players have a right to be confident. Winning this cup will help maintain that.

17 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Arsenal's Ben White scored an OG recently against Newcastle by stretching to cut out that sort of ball.

I think that’s maybe what it is, you see a lot of own goals from trying to cut out those balls. But absolutely you have to do it otherwise you are leaving it to chance. I don’t think it’s something Goldson does much. 

2 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Domestic cups are unimportant in general but losing this one would be a blow at precisely the wrong time.

The players have a right to be confident. Winning this cup will help maintain that.

Are we winning 10-nil... ?

giphy.gif

23 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

can’t shake the perennial loser cloud over this squad though. That trophy was there for the taking and we couldn’t get over the line again. Onto Saturday which for me is a massive must win. Big changes need in the summer. We need quality players with the right mentality.

Its hard not to think that given how many trophies we've not won over the last what, 3/4 years? And I've had that same thought, even going so far as to suggest that us persisting with the same group of core players season to season has been a mistake - regardless of how some of them have improved, we seem to be making some of the same mistakes and weaknesses time and time again, season to season, even under different managers.

I think like Rousseau says, we all think that the squad is better on paper than than the trophy count would suggest, so what's the issue?

Maybe this summer, with the expected turnaround in players will let us move on and start a new phase under Gio. If we can get good money-in for a few players, I don't think there's anybody I'd be gutted to see us lose tbh. Feels like we need a bit of a fresh start.

14 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I think that’s maybe what it is, you see a lot of own goals from trying to cut out those balls. But absolutely you have to do it otherwise you are leaving it to chance. I don’t think it’s something Goldson does much. 

He's very one-footed and sometimes gets the ball caught under his feet due to that or just seemingly not knowing what to do (he can be a bit indecisive with high balls too). But maybe its my old-school football training which always taught me that if in doubt, just clear your lines.

4 minutes ago, ascender said:

He's very one-footed and sometimes gets the ball caught under his feet due to that or just seemingly not knowing what to do (he can be a bit indecisive with high balls too). But maybe its my old-school football training which always taught me that if in doubt, just clear your lines.

It's not even "old-school", it's just basics, for me. 

Even Van Dijk and Thiago Silva - two, modern, ball-playing CBs - clear their lines, and head those high balls away. Of course, someone like Thiago Silva chests down some of these high ball, but surely every CB can head the ball away?

Motivational words of the day:

Well, since SG took over, we made a true name of ourselves in Europe. Every season, we went a step further, even with nearly the same players. This season, we reached the finals of the second biggest thing there is in club football. Hundreds of clubs throughout Europe didn`t even come close to this.

We will move on and further. One should not be under any illusion that we are anywhere close to what is required for the CL right now. Maybe not even in the near future.

But we have made our mark and we will be back.

For we are Rangers!