Europa League Final 2022 - Official Match Thread

4 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

This notion is everywhere and it is not true.

If we start to participate in the champions league group stages often enough then other good chances will come.

The team needs to keep working hard though. This has to be inspiration for further improvements.

Absolutely. Too many saying this is some kind of end in itself whereas this has really just been a positive stepping stone. The need for progress is there whether we won or lost on Wednesday. The key is to keep going forward, keep building, keep improving.

11 minutes ago, Bill said:

Absolutely. Too many saying this is some kind of end in itself whereas this has really just been a positive stepping stone. The need for progress is there whether we won or lost on Wednesday. The key is to keep going forward, keep building, keep improving.

The finance for meaningful progress required a win on Wednesday.

For progress at this level you need better players.

For better players you need more money.

We have another opportunity to qualify for the CL in August. 

By no means impossible but I tend to think it will be asking a lot of a team with a few new faces.

Edited by buster.

23 minutes ago, buster. said:

The finance for meaningful progress required a win on Wednesday.

For progress at this level you need better players.

For better players you need more money.

We have another opportunity to qualify for the CL in August. 

By no means impossible but I tend to think it will be asking a lot of a team with a few new faces.

If that's the case, why have Celtic constantly failed in all European compitions over the last 12 years (and longer) whilst having access to all the riches the CL has to offer? 

I'D say they have regressed rather than improved despite almost annual access to CL money.  

1 minute ago, CammyF said:

why have Celtic constantly failed in all European compitions over the last 12 years (and longer) whilst having access to all the riches the CL has to offer? 

They've been working hard sweeping child sex abuse under the carpet.  You know what they say about men and muti-tasking.

1 hour ago, buster. said:

I think it was the Germans 48th game of the season,....it was our 64th.

Yes, a fit and firing Morelos would have made defending much more difficult for them.

Despite these facts and the searing heat, we finished the stronger team and looked fitter than them in ET. 

24 minutes ago, CammyF said:

If that's the case, why have Celtic constantly failed in all European compitions over the last 12 years (and longer) whilst having access to all the riches the CL has to offer? 

I'D say they have regressed rather than improved despite almost annual access to CL money.  

Money gives you an opportunity to improve.

If spent badly and/or kept in the biscuit tin it won't improve you on-field.

You speak of 12 seasons.

I count only four CLGS participations for them in that timeframe.

None since 2018 and recently the money has increased.

I think they have made more money (gross) from player trading.

Edited by buster.

47 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

This notion is everywhere and it is not true.

If we start to participate in the champions league group stages often enough then other good chances will come.

The team needs to keep working hard though. This has to be inspiration for further improvements.

Not saying we will never get to another final, just that the standard of opponent will be better. I was not impressed by EF. Just my opinion, too many players never turned up.

1 minute ago, BEARGER said:

Not saying we will never get to another final, just that the standard of opponent will be better. I was not impressed by EF. Just my opinion, too many players never turned up.

The European Conference League gives teams at our level an increased chance of winning something in Europe.

Basically doubles the possibility.

15 minutes ago, buster. said:

The European Conference League gives teams at our level an increased chance of winning something in Europe.

Basically doubles the possibility.

Good point. Never took the Diddy Cup into consideration.😃