How Good Is This Rangers team?

I've enjoy watching this team in Europe since Gerrard came in as manager, and despite my initial doubts over Gio, he has taken us to another level, in Europe certainly.

This team has punched above it's weight in Europe so far, IMO, however the top class performances we have consistently produced in Europe has me thinking is this team  one of the best Rangers team I have witnessed! I know this will get me slaughtered but the way we are playing has me wondering just how good is this team compares to previous teams?.

I've been thinking about this since Gerrard's second season. Consecutive seasons playing well in Europe was a surprise. Four years of continued improvement is something else altogether.

Most will judge on trophies and in that regard this team can't compete. If it wins the Europa League then it will have achieved something that none of the modern Rangers teams have managed. 

Both SG and Gio type of football is more suited to Europe than domestically, and I know how stupid that sounds and after Thursday, they've blown away the theory of not being able to play in front of fans 😀

Last season we HAD to win the league, given the "tainted 9" and Terry Munro etc. And yes I understand Rangers have to win the league every year, but last season was a MUST. 

As yet, we haven't won anything this season but if we do manage to win both cup finals we are in, it would be a remarkable achievement and one the would top a "domestic" double, treble or winning the SPFL title. 

Scottish teams have contested 10 European Cup Finals and we are now in our 5th (so half of those finals have involved us). 

That shows that historically we are the club who flies the flag in Europe and continue to do so. This is even more remarkable given where we've been in last decade (and the financial benefit that handed to our rivals) and the huge financial disparity in European Football. 

Rangers shouldn't be anywhere near a major European final never mind winning it - we're 1 game from cemented the single greatest achievement in the history of Scottish Football (it can be argued that getting to the final qualified for that title). 

Let that sink in.

If this team do win the EL than they will rightly be classed as one of, if not the best in our history and the best in Scottish footballing history. 

Average because the opposition in Scotland is so poor in Europe we've probably overarching but I will accept that .

Being of the older generation I remember when teams from Scotland always did well I the three European tournaments 

3 minutes ago, compo said:

I remember when teams from Scotland always did well I the three European tournaments

Aye before all the money got pumped into the big five leagues.

Huge achievement in Europe, undoubtedly one of the best so far.

However, we haven't won anything yet so I prefer to not talk about how good this team is until we can reflect back on things.

It will go down as a season of missed opportunity if we win nothing, and decent season if we win the Scottish cup and one of our best ever seasons if we win both cups. 

So a lot riding on two games 🤞😬

Edited by weebluedevil

18 minutes ago, compo said:

Average because the opposition in Scotland is so poor in Europe we've probably overarching but I will accept that .

Being of the older generation I remember when teams from Scotland always did well I the three European tournaments 

I get that but there is no point comparing today's European football with 50 years ago. They are two completely different scenarios. Back then you could win the European Cup by getting a decent draw and effectively playing 9 matches. We've played 18 games in Europe this season. Back then the financial disparity between leagues was smaller compared to the chasm that exists between the top leagues and us today. Dunfermline getting to a euro semi final proved that.