How Good Is This Rangers team?

3 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

I get that but there is no point comparing today's European football with 50 years ago. They are two completely different scenarios. Back then you could win the European Cup by getting a decent draw and effectively playing 9 matches. We've played 18 games in Europe this season. Back then the financial disparity between leagues was smaller compared to the chasm that exists between the top leagues and us today. Dunfermline getting to a euro semi final proved that. 

These day's you can win Europe's top prize and not even be good enough to win your domestic title ,bring back the old knock out system I know that whenever happen because the television companies call the shots 

3 minutes ago, compo said:

These day's you can win Europe's top prize and not even be good enough to win your domestic title ,bring back the old knock out system I know that whenever happen because the television companies call the shots 

I hear this a lot but seriously who wants to watch Valetta of Malta Vs Real Madrid in the European Cup? Better distribution of monies by having less places for the top leagues would be a better option IMO.

Renaming the premier tournament would also help. Drop the champions league title and use something else.

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

8 minutes ago, compo said:

These day's you can win Europe's top prize and not even be good enough to win your domestic title

Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa both won the European Cup but didn't finish top of the league.

Just now, Gonzo79 said:

Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa both won the European Cup but didn't finish top of the league.

Villa and Forest won the league the year before they won the European Cup? Forest retained it based on being on the previous years existing champions.

Aye, I misunderstood compo's point (I thought he meant winning them both in the same season but he's referring to teams finishing third or fourth and then winning the CL).

Calling it the Champions League is a bit of a joke.

42 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

And the big difference there was that the English League had a different champion almost every season as it was a much more level playing field. Leicester apart, it's pretty much a financial cartel these days.

2 hours ago, CammyF said:

Both SG and Gio type of football is more suited to Europe than domestically, and I know how stupid that sounds and after Thursday, they've blown away the theory of not being able to play in front of fans 😀

Last season we HAD to win the league, given the "tainted 9" and Terry Munro etc. And yes I understand Rangers have to win the league every year, but last season was a MUST. 

As yet, we haven't won anything this season but if we do manage to win both cup finals we are in, it would be a remarkable achievement and one the would top a "domestic" double, treble or winning the SPFL title. 

Scottish teams have contested 10 European Cup Finals and we are now in our 5th (so half of those finals have involved us). 

That shows that historically we are the club who flies the flag in Europe and continue to do so. This is even more remarkable given where we've been in last decade (and the financial benefit that handed to our rivals) and the huge financial disparity in European Football. 

Rangers shouldn't be anywhere near a major European final never mind winning it - we're 1 game from cemented the single greatest achievement in the history of Scottish Football (it can be argued that getting to the final qualified for that title). 

Let that sink in.

If this team do win the EL than they will rightly be classed as one of, if not the best in our history and the best in Scottish footballing history. 

I may get slaughtered for this but can it really be argued that it would be better than the achievement of being the first British team to win the Euro Cup in 1967? That same year we also got to a Euro final and should have won it if we hadn't had to have Roger Hynd at CF. Scotland also beat the world champions at Wembley so it was a vintage year for Scottish football. You have a very valid point about the financial disparity though.

5 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

I may get slaughtered for this but can it really be argued that it would be better than the achievement of being the first British team to win the Euro Cup in 1967? That same year we also got to a Euro final and should have won it if we hadn't had to have Roger Hynd at CF. Scotland also beat the world champions at Wembley so it was a vintage year for Scottish football. You have a very valid point about the financial disparity though.

The only time those bastards ever refer to themselves as British is when they’re whining about the European Cup. 

7 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

I disagree 100%. If we win this it eclipses anything previously achieved by a Scottish team in Europe. The landscape of football gas changed so much in the last 30 years.