How Good Is This Rangers team?

12 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

I may get slaughtered for this but can it really be argued that it would be better than the achievement of being the first British team to win the Euro Cup in 1967? That same year we also got to a Euro final and should have won it if we hadn't had to have Roger Hynd at CF. Scotland also beat the world champions at Wembley so it was a vintage year for Scottish football. You have a very valid point about the financial disparity though.

Certainly not their achievement is up there with splitting the atom or the discovery of penicillin or man walking on the moon if only we would have had a centre forward that night in Nurenburg instead of big Rodger up top .

45 minutes ago, compo said:

Certainly not their achievement is up there with splitting the atom or the discovery of penicillin or man walking on the moon if only we would have had a centre forward that night in Nurenburg instead of big Rodger up top .

Steady on!🤣

35 minutes ago, compo said:

I suspect I have related this tale on Gersnet before?

Nuremberg'67 arrived after the horror of Berwick Rangers. Rangers Chairman, John Lawrence demanded scapegoats and, Jim Forrest, George McLean and, Alec Willoughby were all transferred out of the club. Scot Symon was desperate to find a striker. In those days, Rangers had a third eleven that played in the Combination League, youngsters were toughened, injured older players got a run out, Mr Trialist and Newman appeared regularly against Rolls Royce, Weirs Pumps, ........... etc. Eight or nine days before the ECWC Final, Rangers thirds were due to play Glasgow Corporation Transport ie a team of bus drivers, bus conductors, mechanics, underground personnel, ............... etc.

The game took place at Helenvale Park in Parkhead. Rangers fielded a side with Roger Hynd at centre forward, he scored six goals in a 2-8 victory. Scot Symon had found his striker the next week?

True story.

26 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

An Irish team they are assuredly not

Tell that to their fans.

I like it when they have more Irish in their side - Anton Rogan and Shane Duffy were always a joy to watch. 

3 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Tell that to their fans.

I like it when they have more Irish in their side - Anton Rogan and Shane Duffy were always a joy to watch. 

You watched them?

giphy.gif

8 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

You watched them?

Aye, usually through tears of laughter.  

I remember getting in a scrap at primary school when a yahoo took offence to me singing "Let's all do the Anton!".  🤣

33 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Aye, usually through tears of laughter.  

I remember getting in a scrap at primary school when a yahoo took offence to me singing "Let's all do the Anton!".  🤣

There's something to be said for segregated schools, after all, then?

1 hour ago, 26th of foot said:

I suspect I have related this tale on Gersnet before?

Nuremberg'67 arrived after the horror of Berwick Rangers. Rangers Chairman, John Lawrence demanded scapegoats and, Jim Forrest, George McLean and, Alec Willoughby were all transferred out of the club. Scot Symon was desperate to find a striker. In those days, Rangers had a third eleven that played in the Combination League, youngsters were toughened, injured older players got a run out, Mr Trialist and Newman appeared regularly against Rolls Royce, Weirs Pumps, ........... etc. Eight or nine days before the ECWC Final, Rangers thirds were due to play Glasgow Corporation Transport ie a team of bus drivers, bus conductors, mechanics, underground personnel, ............... etc.

The game took place at Helenvale Park in Parkhead. Rangers fielded a side with Roger Hynd at centre forward, he scored six goals in a 2-8 victory. Scot Symon had found his striker the next week?

True story.

Every manager has his sell by date and i'am afraid Mr Symon and his record was first clas should have been removed from front line duties after Berwick 

5 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

An Irish team they are assuredly not; even the 67 team all came from within 30 miles of Glasgow. 

All I see are Irish flags. All I hear are Irish republican songs. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck …..