So over the past 5 years or so I've had some sort of a pedometer on me via device or app on my phone. The 10k a day has long since been rumbled as a marketing ploy, but I like to have it on in the background to see how active I am in life without even trying. 

The past two days I've done 28k and 32k. I woke up this morning with my metatarsals all tight and feeling mangled. So I decided to slap a bit of netflix on and watched a Roman empire docudrama and got to thinking, what kind of distance the legion did. According to the academic and their dusty books and dry sarcasm, the legion would walk 20 miles any given day. That's around 45k steps. 

I'm sitting here with the light bulb going off on my head thinking yeah that'll explain why my feet feel 350 years old. But then thought, those Romans/legion were a different breed no? 

Walking 20 miles then pitching up a tent and digging ditches to start work on a fort. 

Turns out the national average for the uk is anywhere between 2k to 6k. My average usually falls between 7k and 13k. 

Anybody else keep an eye on their steps or is this just me exposing myself as having some type of ocd. 

Edited by Nevermind

I'm averaging 7134 steps per day this year to date, and 8281 last year.  This year's number will creep up the more golf I get in over the summer.

I don't focus on steps so much as the active calories measure on the apple watch. I'm quite OCD with it, and average 990 actives calories per day, and 60 exercise minutes.

Still, you can't out-train a bad diet, as the saying goes - and its food and beer/wine thats my downfall :)

Mate started this a good few years ago. Turned him into the most boring person in the area, all he talks about is how many steps he does each day.

As has been said a good walk does you no harm.

I try to go for a 45 minute walk each day.  

I don't really need to go on about it or to get stats to justify it to myself.  

Eat reasonably well and get regular exercise - it's not difficult.  

9 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I try to go for a 45 minute walk each day.  

I don't really need to go on about it or to get stats to justify it to myself.  

Eat reasonably well and get regular exercise - it's not difficult.  

I've got two young kids and WFH. I'll be honest i find it difficult to do my hours walk every day and 45 mins on the exercise bike 5 nights a week. Life gets in the way. 

On 11/05/2022 at 04:31, Nevermind said:

So over the past 5 years or so I've had some sort of a pedometer on me via device or app on my phone. The 10k a day has long since been rumbled as a marketing ploy, but I like to have it on in the background to see how active I am in life without even trying. 

The past two days I've done 28k and 32k. I woke up this morning with my metatarsals all tight and feeling mangled. So I decided to slap a bit of netflix on and watched a Roman empire docudrama and got to thinking, what kind of distance the legion did. According to the academic and their dusty books and dry sarcasm, the legion would walk 20 miles any given day. That's around 45k steps. 

I'm sitting here with the light bulb going off on my head thinking yeah that'll explain why my feet feel 350 years old. But then thought, those Romans/legion were a different breed no? 

Walking 20 miles then pitching up a tent and digging ditches to start work on a fort. 

Turns out the national average for the uk is anywhere between 2k to 6k. My average usually falls between 7k and 13k. 

Anybody else keep an eye on their steps or is this just me exposing myself as having some type of ocd. 

Have a Garmin watch that has a pedometer on it...I don't trust it.

Some days I won't workout in the morning, and go straight to the office where I am  primarily seated all day.

It will go off at ~1600 everyday letting me know I hit 5K steps...doing what?

Sittin on my fat ass talkin on the phone?

Ain't no way in Hell I took 5,000 steps (~2.5 miles) between my car, and that damned office chair.

Maybe I have mine set on super easy 'fat kid' mode?

Edited by Malangsob

Good effort.

I do 8km every morning. There is a bunch or absolute weirdos. ha-ha.

Is there any dog lovers here? I am thinking about getting a wee dug...not sure how much hard work it will be.

Forget the wee dug. If you want a good natured fitness coach get a golden retriever or similar. You’ll need to take six months off work, after that he’ll stay in on his own if you get home at lunchtime to let him out. Don’t get a bitch unless you get her spayed but I think you’ve to wait two years and that means four seasons when your house will be like Culloden moor.