Finland in favour of application to join Nato

Finland should submit an application to join the Nato military alliance, Finnish President Sauli Niinisto and Prime Minister Sanna Marin said in a joint statement on Thursday.

"Finland must apply for Nato membership without delay," Niinisto and Marin said.

This is a major policy shift triggered by Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

Finland, which shares a 1,300 km (810 mile) border and a difficult past with Russia, has previously remained outside the alliance.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-61404062

Estonia has welcomed the likely accession of Sweden and Finland to Nato but has warned of long-term Russian preparations for an attack on the Baltic states.

Senior officials at Estonia’s Defence Ministry have called for further Nato reinforcements including an urgent need for air defence units.

You could say that NATO by their constant expansion is as bigger threat to peace and stability than Russia this move could tip mad Vlad over the top .

If I were mad Vlad I would show them the power at my fingertips by exploding a nuclear device at one of the old testing grounds , you will be glad I am not Russian because I wouldn’t hesitate in using my full armoury 🤪

18 minutes ago, compo said:

You could say that NATO by their constant expansion is as bigger threat to peace and stability than Russia this move could tip mad Vlad over the top .

If I were mad Vlad I would show them the power at my fingertips by exploding a nuclear device at one of the old testing grounds , you will be glad I am not Russian because I wouldn’t hesitate in using my full armoury 🤪

You could also say that the unpredictable (or rather predictable) actions of the Russian Military invading nearby nations has been a trigger for this. Ukraine (twice) and Georgia within the last 15 years have been on the receiving end. Its basic risk management for the likes of Finland and Sweden to explore a military alliance. 

If Russia invaded Finland tomorrow i highly doubt much would be different from the current conflict in Ukraine. There would be no UK/US/European military support other than some aid and arms. 

1 hour ago, compo said:

Oh don't worry Compo, we are glad :) 

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

Finland should submit an application to join the Nato military alliance, Finnish President Sauli Niinisto and Prime Minister Sanna Marin said in a joint statement on Thursday.

"Finland must apply for Nato membership without delay," Niinisto and Marin said.

This is a major policy shift triggered by Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

Finland, which shares a 1,300 km (810 mile) border and a difficult past with Russia, has previously remained outside the alliance.

There is a really good Finnish detective series on Netflix called Borderland, and it shows just how long the border is and how easy it is to cross in either direction. 

5 hours ago, compo said:

I know these things can be confusing but it was actually Russia that expanded its territory by invading Ukraine .... just in case you thought it was NATO bombing schools and hospitals.

5 hours ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

You could also say that the unpredictable (or rather predictable) actions of the Russian Military invading nearby nations has been a trigger for this. Ukraine (twice) and Georgia within the last 15 years have been on the receiving end. Its basic risk management for the likes of Finland and Sweden to explore a military alliance. 

If Russia invaded Finland tomorrow i highly doubt much would be different from the current conflict in Ukraine. There would be no UK/US/European military support other than some aid and arms. 

I think the main reason Russia isn't about to invade Finland is that it would likely get its arse skelped. Russia has nukes and not a great deal else to threaten anyone with. NATO is happy to see Russia expend its resources for as long as its failing economy can raise a fist.

10 hours ago, compo said:

You could say that NATO by their constant expansion is as bigger threat to peace and stability than Russia ...

You really could say that.

I would caution against it though as you may find yourself subject to various unsupported accusations.

Best to just take your finger off of the button and fall into line.

4 hours ago, Bill said:

I think the main reason Russia isn't about to invade Finland is that it would likely get its arse skelped. Russia has nukes and not a great deal else to threaten anyone with. NATO is happy to see Russia expend its resources for as long as its failing economy can raise a fist.

Russia is simultaneously pathetically weak and a threat that can only be countered by an ever expanding transatlantic alliance.

:thinking: