Finland in favour of application to join Nato

9 hours ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

If Russia invaded Finland tomorrow i highly doubt much would be different from the current conflict in Ukraine. There would be no UK/US/European military support other than some aid and arms. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/may/11/uk-pledges-to-back-sweden-and-finland-against-russian-threats-nato

I think that this is a means by which N.A.T.O. may become involved.

Russia could invade Finland, for unexplained reasons, and the United Kingdom could sent military assistance.

Due to Russia's impoverished military we would then skip to nuclear exchanges between Moscow and London.

The rest of N.A.T.O. would then come to the aid of our radioactive dust filled rock and destroy any remaining parts of planet Earth.

In the Russia/Ukraine thread I asked about how these countries would fund the implied increases in defence spending.

Does anybody know how much Sweden and Finland will increase defence spending by?

If these countries want to reach the 2% of G.D.P. specified by N.A.T.O. then spending will increase.

As far as I can see it could be about 2 billion dollars per year for Finland and maybe about 4 billion dollars per year for Sweden.

I wonder what will be cut to pay for it.

I managed to get an answer from someone but a couple of questions revealed that it made no sense at all.

I can already see informed, and knowledgeable, people participating in the thread. Do any of you have any ideas?

Edited by ranger_syntax

1 hour ago, ranger_syntax said:

Russia is simultaneously pathetically weak and a threat that can only be countered by an ever expanding transatlantic alliance.

:thinking:

Russia has the moral authority of acquired victimhood and a shed load of nukes to threaten its neighbours, which is quite pathetic when you think about it. 

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

Don't blame it on the sunshine
Don't blame it on the moonlight
Don't blame it on good times
Blame it on the Russians.

If you were half as smart as you think you are, you’d be twice as smart as you appear to be. Tip: plough your own furrow, don’t be someone else’s mouthpiece. 

2 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

In the Russia/Ukraine thread I asked about how these countries would fund the implied increases in defence spending.

Does anybody know how much Sweden and Finland will increase defence spending by?

If these countries want to reach the 2% of G.D.P. specified by N.A.T.O. then spending will increase.

As far as I can see it could be about 2 billion dollars per year for Finland and maybe about 4 billion dollars per year for Sweden.

I wonder what will be cut to pay for it.

I managed to get an answer from someone but a couple of questions revealed that it made no sense at all.

I can already see informed, and knowledgeable, people participating in the thread. Do any of you have any ideas?

Oh right, so this is budget issue??? 😂😂😂

Some laugh, so you are. 

I don’t think anyone should underestimate the magnitude of the decision being taken by Sweden and Finland, or the genuine threat they feel from an aggressive and unstable Russia. These countries didn’t easily choose to give up their neutrality, they’re doing so because they want to preserve their way of life. Swedes I speak with believe the beast from the east is out of control and determined to bring war to Europe