Finland in favour of application to join Nato

Tonight, I am reading Nicola has spoken in the USA.

She tells us, "NATO is essential, it will be a cornerstone of Scotland's future defence". Apparently, events in Ukraine have convinced her? Leaving Faslane aside, this will be news to the vast majority of SNP members. It has been a number of years since both Nicola and her Husband, Chief Executive of the party, Peter Murrell have allowed party conference to discuss Scotland's continued membership of NATO, should the country vote for independence.

Further, the SNP's partners in Government, the Green Party are firmly opposed to NATO membership.

I am beginning to suspect Nicola has become a Marxist? I mean a devotee of Groucho Marx, "here are my principles, if you don't like them I have others".

Remember, in the first week of the Ukraine - Russia conflict; Nicola was advising NATO to impose a no fly zone over Ukraine? 

Edited by 26th of foot

5 hours ago, der Berliner said:

As I wrote elsewhere, there hardly ever was any sort of "danger", perceived or otherwise, to Finland and Sweden coming from Russia*. As a mark of accepting their neutrality, Russia had no troops within 1,000 km of Sweden`s or Finland`s border. All NATO is doing by getting these two countries into their once-upon-a-time-defensive gang of countries that saw the Soviet Union and now Russia as a threat is .... getting Russian weapon 1,000 km closer to the West and Bill`s backyard. What a clever thing ...

*Mainly because no Russians or ethnic-Russian people or people being pro-Russian have been living in Finland or Sweden and have been killed or threatened by their own government.

Desperate stuff ... and more complete fiction. No “weapons” at Murmansk or Arkhangelsk? No “weapons at St Petersburg? No “weapons” at Petrozavodsk airbase? If you’re going to keep on defending the indefensible by spouting ignorant drivel at least try to make it semi-credible.

16 hours ago, der Berliner said:

As I wrote elsewhere, there hardly ever was any sort of "danger", perceived or otherwise, to Finland and Sweden coming from Russia*. As a mark of accepting their neutrality, Russia had no troops within 1,000 km of Sweden`s or Finland`s border. All NATO is doing by getting these two countries into their once-upon-a-time-defensive gang of countries that saw the Soviet Union and now Russia as a threat is .... getting Russian weapon 1,000 km closer to the West and Bill`s backyard. What a clever thing ...

*Mainly because no Russians or ethnic-Russian people or people being pro-Russian have been living in Finland or Sweden and have been killed or threatened by their own government.

What about the attacks neighbouring/ nearby nations under Putin’s regime?

Regardless, surely it’s down to those nations as to what alliances they strike up?

seems to me they’ve both democratically decided that this is in their best interests.

And when you look at the way Putin’s Russia is trying, and arguably failing, to throw its weight around, who can blame them?

Edited by stewarty

35 minutes ago, stewarty said:

Regardless, surely it’s down to those nations as to what alliances they strike up?

seems to me they’ve both democratically decided that this is in their best interests.

And when you look at the way Putin’s Russia is trying, and arguably failing, to throw its weight around, who can blame them?

There would have been no NATO applications from the Baltic states and Eastern Europe if Russia hadn't spent the cold war oppressing them nd there would be no application from Finland or Sweden if Russia hadn't attacked Georgia and Ukraine. Russia is the untrusted neighbour, not NATO.

On 17/05/2022 at 01:25, 26th of foot said:

She tells us, "NATO is essential, it will be a cornerstone of Scotland's future defence". Apparently, events in Ukraine have convinced her? Leaving Faslane aside, this will be news to the vast majority of SNP members. It has been a number of years since both Nicola and her Husband, Chief Executive of the party, Peter Murrell have allowed party conference to discuss Scotland's continued membership of NATO, should the country vote for independence.

Further, the SNP's partners in Government, the Green Party are firmly opposed to NATO membership.

I am beginning to suspect Nicola has become a Marxist? I mean a devotee of Groucho Marx, "here are my principles, if you don't like them I have others".

Remember, in the first week of the Ukraine - Russia conflict; Nicola was advising NATO to impose a no fly zone over Ukraine? 

Soon the S.N.P. slogans will read bombs not Britain.

17 hours ago, stewarty said:

Who apart from Ukraine has Russia attacked since Afghanistan in the 80s? As opposed to countries aligned or being members of NATO, the defensive shield of "the West"? Obviously, saving ethnic Russians from their own government`s attacks and attempts of genocide does not hold up against defending New York and Los Angeles in the depths of Iraq`s deserts, a desert ladden with sand and no weapons of mass destruction ...

Where does Putin fail? The MSM might make you think otherwise, but Ukraine`s east is more or less "liberated", a land bridge to the Black Sea and Crimeria has been established ... which was the sole target of this conflict. If people would actually look and listen to what is being said. They left northern Ukraine after drawing the Ukraine forces away from the south and can de facto fire at any military position in Ukraine`s west at their leisure.

42 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Who apart from Ukraine has Russia attacked since Afghanistan in the 80s? As opposed to countries aligned or being members of NATO, the defensive shield of "the West"? Obviously, saving ethnic Russians from their own government`s attacks and attempts of genocide does not hold up against defending New York and Los Angeles in the depths of Iraq`s deserts, a desert ladden with sand and no weapons of mass destruction ...

Where does Putin fail? The MSM might make you think otherwise, but Ukraine`s east is more or less "liberated", a land bridge to the Black Sea and Crimeria has been established ... which was the sole target of this conflict. If people would actually look and listen to what is being said. They left northern Ukraine after drawing the Ukraine forces away from the south and can de facto fire at any military position in Ukraine`s west at their leisure.

Georgia. The Russian nazis attacked and still occupy part of Georgia. 

Edited by Bill

On 17/05/2022 at 00:25, 26th of foot said:

Did she mention if she would be a fully paid up member or piggybacking on those that do pay their 2% or GDP. I doubt there was even mention of this huge slice of money having to be paid in the last Independance manifesto dream.