State Of The Squad

2 hours ago, Bill said:

If Jack isn't fit, why is he starting so many games? I hear a lot about how injury prone he is but very little about what injuries he is supposed to be carrying. Other than his recent lengthy spell on the sidelines for a specific calf injury (which would have been considerably shorter had he been operated on in the first place), is he actually more injury prone than most? I don't know the answer and only ask the question because once a label is applied to a player there seems to be a compulsion for everyone to repeat it.

It's his knees that are the problem as far as I'm aware and it's something that the club admitted had to be managed moving forward, I.e. the problem won't go away. 

1 hour ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Bloody hell, I didn’t think it was as few as that. Less than 50% 

He's made 151 appearances for Rangers. He's had 3 issues that have kept this so low - a bunch of red cards early on, a knee injury in 2018 requiring surgery and a calf injury requiring surgery.

19 minutes ago, Bill said:

He's made 151 appearances for Rangers. He's had 3 issues that have kept this so low - a bunch of red cards early on, a knee injury in 2018 requiring surgery and a calf injury requiring surgery.

image.thumb.png.f8fdcc943249d8b908a0eeeafddfb0f5.png

If that were an employee you would can his ass about halfway through that.

You're not on the pitch, you're not makin money.

You can't organize around a player with cotton candy for ligaments.

The real sad part, as some here have noted...who is gonna buy that guy? 

You're gonna get a Mars Bar, and time share in the Ozarks for him. 

IDK...meh...

2 hours ago, Malangsob said:

image.thumb.png.f8fdcc943249d8b908a0eeeafddfb0f5.png

If that were an employee you would can his ass about halfway through that.

You're not on the pitch, you're not makin money.

You can't organize around a player with cotton candy for ligaments.

The real sad part, as some here have noted...who is gonna buy that guy? 

You're gonna get a Mars Bar, and time share in the Ozarks for him. 

IDK...meh...

By that dubious logic you’re assuming every player should be selected for every game when fit and you would also be “canning the ass” of Barisic, Hagi, Morelos, Davis, Roofe, Balogun, Kamara, Kent, Arfield, Sands, etc. 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

By that dubious logic you’re assuming every player should be selected for every game when fit and you would also be “canning the ass” of Barisic, Hagi, Morelos, Davis, Roofe, Balogun, Kamara, Kent, Arfield, Sands, etc. 

Well no, you are taking liberties here that are unjustified.

FACT--Ryan Jack has missed half of the matches over the past two years.

Age is not your friend as a professional athlete. 

as such we cannot expect this trend to improve.

Consistently injured players are of no benefit to anything but their bank account. 

There are certain individuals on our squad who are 'chronically' injured, Jack, and Helander being preeminent among them.

They should be shuffled post haste as they are ultimately a net negative to the organization. 

Emotional attachment is the death knell of any GM.

We exist as a club...for the success of the CLUB...players are assets who must be managed.

Cut the strings.

Addendum--I have already stated that Hagi, and Roofe are also surplus requirement for both injury, and unfit for purpose due to lack of attributables (hagi speed).

One should NEVER be emotionally attached to any player (not stating you are). 

They are pieces of a machine. Those pieces should always be of optimal quality. 

Edited by Malangsob

4 hours ago, Malangsob said:

FACT--Ryan Jack has missed half of the matches over the past two years.

Age is not your friend as a professional athlete. 

as such we cannot expect this trend to improve.

Consistently injured players are of no benefit to anything but their bank account. 

There are certain individuals on our squad who are 'chronically' injured, Jack, and Helander being preeminent among them.

They should be shuffled post haste as they are ultimately a net negative to the organization. 

Emotional attachment is the death knell of any GM.

We exist as a club...for the success of the CLUB...players are assets who must be managed.

Cut the strings.

I get the point you make but in the case of Ryan Jack, he has a contract and where would he pass a medical and be given a similar wage ? As far as I see it, if he is contributing positively, in say 50% of games, that is better value than paying him off. Come the end of his contract, there is obviously no extension.

What bugs me is bringing players to the club who are heavily 'injury prone'.

In the last window, we signed Souttar on a Bosman and Ramsey on loan.

Ramsey has hardly contributed (I point the finger at our recruitment, not Ramsey).

With Souttar, time will tell. But you can't reasonably expect or depend on him to stay fit for long periods and hence management of his ankles/hip will more likely follow.

I'd expect better from what won't be a cheap recruitment set-up.

They might argue that their hands have been tied by relatively small budgets and while that will obviously limit options, I don't think bringing in several players who have a bad injury record will ever give a net positive.

For every Goldson, you get more who are out as much as they are in, eg. Roofe, Helander, 

A more general point is that after several poor transfer windows, our recruitment has to up it's game considerably this summer. You would imagine that Gio will be supported as he will need to begin a re-build. We need to get that right or a bumpy ride will follow.

Edited by buster.

7 hours ago, buster. said:

I get the point you make but in the case of Ryan Jack, he has a contract and where would he pass a medical and be given a similar wage ? As far as I see it, if he is contributing positively, in say 50% of games, that is better value than paying him off. Come the end of his contract, there is obviously no extension.

And that's what it will be. I am sure the actuaries have figured in sunk costs. We will suffice (more than likely) with half a player in the end. 

God love him, I know the guy has quality, I know he obviously wants to support us but them legs...

Hopefully, I am completely wrong, and the guy gets up to 100% and goes on to be a real rock in the lineup. 

What bugs me is bringing players to the club who are heavily 'injury prone'.

In the last window, we signed Souttar on a Bosman and Ramsey on loan.

Ramsey has hardly contributed (I point the finger at our recruitment, not Ramsey).

With Souttar, time will tell. But you can't reasonably expect or depend on him to stay fit for long periods and hence management of his ankles/hip will more likely follow.

Yeah...all of that is just a huge shit show.

I follow Rangers...so I never heard of Ramsey...no BS.

I kinda like Everton...but...it's all about Rangers.

However, when we did sign him I looked into him, injuries, stats, and what Juventus supporters thought of him.

Not positive on the whole. We could have done better. 

Souttar...totally don't understand the logic in that.

Buster man...the dude has RUPTURED his achilles...twice...I don't get it.

A more general point is that after several poor transfer windows, our recruitment has to up it's game considerably this summer. You would imagine that Gio will be supported as he will need to begin a re-build. We need to get that right or a bumpy ride will follow.

.Drinkin from the same cup man.

You're a good egg Buster.