State Of The Squad

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

The issue with Jack has nothing to do with his capabilities as a footballer or his contribution when he plays.  It has everything to do with his injury record.

Absolutely right, a top player, makes us better when he is fit and playing well, but a body made of chocolate. Hard decisions need to be made, and we cannot afford to carry a player that is unavailable for large parts of every season. If he could stay fit and play 40-50 games next season I dont think anyone would be talking about him going anywhere.

Even if Jack only plays 20 games a season he is great squad player, bring someone in to be a starter and let Jack come in when fit and needed he is always reliable and consistent when he is playing so playing him less would be good for his body and he would be a good standard of backup player we should have. Also people saying ship him out are not thinking who is going to buy a injury prone player or are we gonna spend more money releasing a perfectly good squad player. 

I really don't think Jack would pass a medical, I'm not sure he can be sold. That doesn't disappoint me, he is excellent for us and we should work hard to make him play as much as is possible.

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Lewis Ferguson...

Not unless it was on a Bosman (don't know contract situation).

Sheep would want too much for him.

We'd be better spending the money in other markets where you can get more for your money (if you buy well).

Edited by buster.

25 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

I really don't think Jack would pass a medical, I'm not sure he can be sold. That doesn't disappoint me, he is excellent for us and we should work hard to make him play as much as is possible.

If Jack isn't fit, why is he starting so many games? I hear a lot about how injury prone he is but very little about what injuries he is supposed to be carrying. Other than his recent lengthy spell on the sidelines for a specific calf injury (which would have been considerably shorter had he been operated on in the first place), is he actually more injury prone than most? I don't know the answer and only ask the question because once a label is applied to a player there seems to be a compulsion for everyone to repeat it.

Every year the lists of players (sometimes referred to as deadwood) is compiled and pre-released/sold on the messageboards.

However, come the transfer window, it isn't always as easy.

A similar uncertainty will affect our business, as it did last year.

Champions League money......yes or no.

It didn't do us any favours against Malmo. It could be argued that this had something to do with why SG didn't seem as fully engaged and happy at that time.  ie....and I speculate here...... SG wanted to strengthen, Rangers board said 'wait, until the CL money is in the bag'.

I doubt that we'll be able to spend it until/if we have it.

If we were to get to the CLPO round, the second leg is on the 23rd or 24th of August and will give us a few days to a week to do further business with CL monies (if successful in qualifying).

That said, if we buy well (not necessarily for loadsa money) and most hit the ground running, great.

We really need some good recruitment over this summer or we might relatively struggle next season.

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

If Jack isn't fit, why is he starting so many games? I hear a lot about how injury prone he is but very little about what injuries he is supposed to be carrying. Other than his recent lengthy spell on the sidelines for a specific calf injury (which would have been considerably shorter had he been operated on in the first place), is he actually more injury prone than most? I don't know the answer and only ask the question because once a label is applied to a player there seems to be a compulsion for everyone to repeat it.

Ryan Jack deserves a rest and a pre-season to see what he brings to the team next season.

What we know he can bring (if fit) is hugely important to the team and we shouldn't contemplate giving that away until we have given him every chance to get fully up to speed.

4 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

He's been at Rangers for five years and has made 94 league appearances.  

We have contracted a player (John Souttar) with 93 league starts in the same timeframe.