State Of The Squad

My feeling is we are going to have huge changes this summer, or at least we should. 

If we get a good offer for Bassey we should take it, in return we might sign 4 good quality first team players for the money.

Morelos will have to go if he doesn’t sign an extension too. I’d try to move on Roofe and Helander if possible, I like them as players but we can’t rely on them.

I’d keep on Tav, not sure when his contract is up. Kent too if we can sign him up. But the reality is we need 2 new strikers, a left winger, nearly a whole new defence. A GK. a lot of work…

Roofe, Helander, Itten and Simpson need to go. 

I think we'll just go ahead and keep Bassey. Absolutely no reason to go punting him just yet. Send the loanees back and promote some youth players. Should allow GVB some wiggle room for his own signings. 

4 hours ago, Nevermind said:

Roofe, Helander, Itten and Simpson need to go. 

I think we'll just go ahead and keep Bassey. Absolutely no reason to go punting him just yet. Send the loanees back and promote some youth players. Should allow GVB some wiggle room for his own signings. 

Not always easy to move players on who are still under contract 

I'd have thought someone in Sweden would sign Helander and a club in Europe somewhere would take Itten?

Simpson might be a nomimal fee/mutual agreement sort of thing.

McLaughlin's show yesterday just confirmed for me he's more than capable of being our number one. He's not a sweeper-keeper, but he's not afraid to come well out of his box to help recycle the ball or clear it. And how great was it when he came for a couple of corners yesterday? Opposition corners when its all even or we're only one up have given me the fear, but he just came, grabbed the ball, no panic.

Do we think we might see Diallo again next season? Someone seems to have had a word with him and he seems to get what's expected of a Rangers player in the last few times I've seen him. I know effort isn't everything, but he's clearly talented.

I thought Souttar played well yesterday too, so is hopefully a good addition.

Roofe, Helander and Itten will most likely be here next season. Gio actually said that he would not have sent Itten away. That said, both strikers will speak with Gio about his future plans, as this one-striker stuff saw them frozen out of teams while we toiled along against the brickwall-gang. These last two finals, being played with essentially no-strikers for long spells, won`t enhance Gio`s position in that case. 

I think we really need to examine this season and how player availability has cost us. I don't have anything against the quality of these players, in fact its the opposite i think they are fantastic footballers. But the lack of availability for the likes of Balogun, Helander, Jack, Roofe and Ramsey frustrates me greatly. It seems to be whenever we have a key player injured or unavailable these guys seem to have a recurring injury. In the case of Balogun and Jack they struggle to play more than a game a week. Same concerns over Soutter but he clearly has ability.

Maybe time to let the likes of McGregor and Davis go. Same with Balogun. 

Also need to move on Aribo, Helander, Kent and Morelos. I would offer everyone bar Helander a new deal and if they don't sign we need to sell. Don't think we can afford to take the hit on them. Kent especially as we paid 7 million for him.

• 1 month later...

How is everyone feeling now, after a few acquisitions?

(LW) Kent / Sakala / Middleton -  (ST) Morelos / Roofe / Colak - (RW) Wright / AN Other?

(#10) Hagi / Lowry / Lawrence

(CM) Davis / Kamara / Lundstram / Jack / Arfield

(LB) Barisic / Bassey - (LCB) Helander / Souttar - (RCB) Goldson / Sands / Katic / King - (RB) Tavernier / Zukowski

(GK) McLaughlin / McGregor / McCrorie

I still think we need a right-winger (even with Lawrence, who can play RW and LW too). 

Bassey, King and Sands could be very useful in terms of their versatility. 

Parts of the team are in dire need of refreshing. I'm expecting/hoping for considerable progress this season from the likes of James Sands, Leon King, Alex Lowrie and especially Scott Wright. Like some others I'm hoping we will continue developing the squad by offloading some of Steve Davis, Filip Helander, Kemar Roofe, Jack Simpson, Nicolas Katic, Glen Middleton and maybe even Borna Barisic or Glenn Kamara - although it might be more likely some will only leave in January. I would very much like to see Calvin Bassey stay for another season.

44 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

How is everyone feeling now, after a few acquisitions?

(LW) Kent / Sakala / Middleton -  (ST) Morelos / Roofe / Colak - (RW) Wright / AN Other?

(#10) Hagi / Lowry / Lawrence

(CM) Davis / Kamara / Lundstram / Jack / Arfield

(LB) Barisic / Bassey - (LCB) Helander / Souttar - (RCB) Goldson / Sands / Katic / King - (RB) Tavernier / Zukowski

(GK) McLaughlin / McGregor / McCrorie

I still think we need a right-winger (even with Lawrence, who can play RW and LW too). 

Bassey, King and Sands could be very useful in terms of their versatility. 

What's your starting XI, and bench?

3 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

What's your starting XI, and bench?

Sakala - Morelos - Lawrence

Lowry - Jack - Hagi

Bassey - Sands - Goldson - Tavernier

McLaughlin

Subs: Colak, Kent, Wright, Kamara, Arfield, Lundstram, Barisic, Souttar, Helander, King, McCrorie

I'd like to see another RW brought in, though. Matondo would be picked before Lawrence.