State Of The Squad

I've just remembered John Souttar is coming in to the club this summer. He's another one who flakes after a few games and spends a lot of time on the treatment table. I really hope he doesn't turn into Andy Webstar 2.0. 

39 minutes ago, WorthingBear91 said:

To say Jack needs moved on is the most obtuse thing I have read about one of our best players this season, as soon as Jack came back from injury in the second half at the pedo dome he change the whole dynamic of the team we started looking a lot more solid hard to beat why would you want that to stop.

Single statistical occurrences doth not a career make. 

The FACT is that Jack has been injured, or hampered in some capacity, for years.

Do you think his consistent 'substitutions' are because they are just changing tactics? 

Let's put on our adult glasses here sir.

Consistency, dependability, and DURABILITY are all vital requisites...though a decent player, he hasn't provided the complete package...for years.

My patience has concluded. 

Fear not though, my words will ring true with time. 

20 minutes ago, Nevermind said:

I've just remembered John Souttar is coming in to the club this summer. He's another one who flakes after a few games and spends a lot of time on the treatment table. I really hope he doesn't turn into Andy Webstar 2.0. 

I always thought this was exaggerated, so I had a look... *gulp*

The upside is that he's a decent defender, whom we've signed for nothing. 

His injury record this season has been alright; he's been out three times, for about a couple of weeks each time. 

The majority of his time out injured was because of one type of injury, on both legs, one after the other. But, I recall someone on here saying that those shouldn't occur again, because they've been fixed, or something like that?

Regards Jack,yes he is injured a lot,but most of that comes from his robust tackles both by him and on him.

Unfortunately he might end up "retiring early" in the same way as Kevin Thomson and further back Tam Forsyth.

Anyone who thinks the team would benefit from letting Jack go is spending way too much time on their phone and not enough watching what's happening on the park .... because it's the most ludicrous suggestion yet.

I don't think Jack will be moved on for two reasons:

1. He is hugely important to us when he plays

2. He clearly has a debilitating, chronic injury and will find it hard to sign for a different club.

I expect McGregor and Davis to retire (have heard rumours this was confirmed internally months ago but kept under wraps till the season ends) and obviously Goldson leaves on a free (hallelujah).

I agree with those here who have said we should be moving on the most unreliable in terms of availability through injury (Roofe, Jack, Helander). All 3 are very good players when available but their unavailability at crucial times costs us trophies. Not sure all 3 will leave though.

I don't really rate McLaughlin as much as others , I think McCrorie looks every bit as good a keeper and handled the pressure brilliantly when we needed him in 2 huge games at the start of the season, so I dont mind if we use them as the 2 keepers for the start of next season, and they can fight it out for top spot between them. It is a massive decline in standard from McGregor though, and this may need addressed in Jan '23 or next summer.

Defenders; Goldson out, Souttar in,  Katic returning. I feel we need what I felt we needed this season, a good CH to replace Goldson. Sadly we didnt get one this year and it cost us big time. We need to make sure we sort this for next season.

Into midfield and we have it seems a million players here for 3 spots. We must thin this down and add one quality starter. I am happy with most of our midfield (when fit and on form) but wouldn't lose any sleep if any were sold. Big decisions for the management. 

Up front we have Alfie who will hopefully be back to his best and then its up for grabs. Roofe too often injured or coming back to sharpness. Sakala can go, not clinical enough. Kent's numbers are not as good as they should be. He either needs to improve his numbers or be moved on. Wright is a backup player, not sure how Hagi is going to be when he returns. Itten doesnt seem fancied. Again, big decisions but we need to add starting quality to our line-up.

To summarise, I think we need to bring in one starting CB, at least one starting midfielder, and 2 forward players, at least one of which should be starting every week. I feel over the last year or 2 we have only been adding squad players of no greater quality than already in the squad. I want to be reducing the overall numbers in the first team squad to ensure there is a pathway for our potential to come through. We got a glimpse at Tynecastle, and have seen enough of Lowry, King to know there is talent waiting for their chance.  4 in, 11 out (McGregor, Davis, Goldson, Helander, Roofe, Sakala, Polish RB, Itten, Katic, Ramsay, Amad) and bring through the youth players. If the 4 we bring in are improving our first team, this will work IMO.

30 minutes ago, Bill said:

Anyone who thinks the team would benefit from letting Jack go is spending way too much time on their phone and not enough watching what's happening on the park .... because it's the most ludicrous suggestion yet.

Great player, asset to the team when playing but too injury prone and injuries will finaly start to take their toll. Wouldn't be heartbroken if he was sold, won't be heartbroken if he stays.