[AET] Rangers 2 (Jack 93'; Wright 97') - 0 Hearts

5 minutes ago, CammyF said:

You're not comparing apples with apples. Simms is a "target-man" whilst Gilmour a playmaker. 

I don't think he won everything yesterday. He was effective for first 30mins or so then was barely noticeable after that. 

Also managed to miss an open goal from a a few yards out. 

Yes, I'll concede that, but the point was that I'd rather sign a 'youngster' (actually--I do feel Simms is a more developed player, physically) permanently than get a youngster on loan.  

I'm not making the suggestion of signing him based on just one game: he's had a good season. Like I said, by many accounts, he's been one of the best players in the league this season. I wouldn't say no to snapping him up on a free. 

23 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Yes, I'll concede that, but the point was that I'd rather sign a 'youngster' (actually--I do feel Simms is a more developed player, physically) permanently than get a youngster on loan.  

I'm not making the suggestion of signing him based on just one game: he's had a good season. Like I said, by many accounts, he's been one of the best players in the league this season. I wouldn't say no to snapping him up on a free. 

Getting Gilmour on loan could lead to getting him on a free in 2023.

I'll admit that I don't watch many SPL games outwith our games so can't speak for how well Simms has performed this season.

However, I've watched us play Hearts in 4 SPL games and honestly can't remember if Simms featured nevermind how he performed. 

Just checked his stats and he has played 17 games for Hearts scoring 5 goals. He had a loan at Blackpool previously where he played 21 games and scored 8 goals. 

12 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Getting Gilmour on loan could lead to getting him on a free in 2023.

I'll admit that I don't watch many SPL games outwith our games so can't speak for how well Simms has performed this season.

However, I've watched us play Hearts in 4 SPL games and honestly can't remember if Simms featured nevermind how he performed. 

Just checked his stats and he has played 17 games for Hearts scoring 5 goals. He had a loan at Blackpool previously where he played 21 games and scored 8 goals. 

I find it unlikely that we could ever get Gilmour on a permanent deal, but if so, I'm all for it. (Like I've said, though, I did think the Ramsey move was highly unlikely...)

I think Simms only played in the last couple of games against us. 

Yes, about 1 goal in 3/4 games? He's not prolific. But he looks like a good physical presence with a bit of pace. And, he's only 21.

I'm just saying, I wouldn't mind picking him up on a free. It would give us a physical presence up front. 

16 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Based on your last sentence I agree.

Simms has the makings of a good striker, big, powerful, good feet, good finisher, ....... etc over the season. In a Scottish domestic game, particularly away from home the pairing of a Simms with a Sakala or Wright satelliting gives us something we do not have currently.

Both Simms and Kingsley got Hearts to the final and, whereas I think Simms had a good match, Kingsley was almost anonymous. Standing in Row A of the North Stand I watched him anxiously keeping a constant eye on Tav'. The situation reminded me of that Scandinavian Dundee United signing who constantly ran alongside Laudrup without tackling? Kingsley has a good left foot on him, can pick a pass and, strike a free kick; why he was reduced to man marking is a mystery? Surely, Devlin would be more suited?

Tav's stats are impressive, Frankfurt tied him up with their best player. Robbie Neilson copied the template.

Back to the Simms thing, I remember older managers often talked about, 'the Blend'. You do not hear it at all these days. Good teams have to be able to mix it but, you have to have the necessary resources to do so. Liam Boyce has been pretty effective in that role this last decade in Scottish football.

Pointed out to my mate yesterday to watch the Hearts "giant i.e. Simms" at 75-80 minutes he was out on his feet.

Think if those who want him to come to us it would take at least three transfer windows to get him to our fitness levels.

2 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

Pointed out to my mate yesterday to watch the Hearts "giant i.e. Simms" at 75-80 minutes he was out on his feet.

Think if those who want him to come to us it would take at least three transfer windows to get him to our fitness levels.

Mack, you may well be correct?

I watched Liam Boyce yesterday because he went down and off with a groin injury in the twelve minute at Tynecastle. I was surprised he reached half-time but, he was husbanding his application carefully. Off the ball, he was not running. Happily, he allowed Simms to do the running thus no surprise when he was blowing with ten minutes left.

I think on a free, the lad is worth a punt.

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

by many accounts he's been one of the best players in the league this season. 

FFS, J-J, sign a railway sleeper who clears a low bar, per lounge bar punditry ?

2 hours ago, 26th of foot said:

Mack, you may well be correct?

I watched Liam Boyce yesterday because he went down and off with a groin injury in the twelve minute at Tynecastle. I was surprised he reached half-time but, he was husbanding his application carefully. Off the ball, he was not running. Happily, he allowed Simms to do the running thus no surprise when he was blowing with ten minutes left.

I think on a free, the lad is worth a punt.

Simms? Hasn’t he got 2 years left on his Everton contract?