The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

To me giving Balogun a year's extension is a no-brainer,as we have done with Arfield and hopefully Davis,

I agree that we have to strengthen first team choices but to have players who are prepared to be of a strength on the bench is as important. 

25 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Assume we extend Balogun. The we have the following three with question marks over availability:

Balogun

Souttar

Helander

That's in addition to another three options.

Bassey

King

Katic

If we keep Bassey he should be clear first choice left back. King should only feature in a few matches unless we have an injury crisis. Katic is likely out of the picture, as you say, and we definitely need better than him.

I say that we should focus on getting another central defender who can be relied on and is also an improvement on Balogun.

If we keep Balogun then I suspect that it is because we have no other options.

Goldson played every minute of every game (almost) we'll struggle to get that from any other CH. Given we can play 60+ games a season we need 4 or 5 CH.

Balogun has experience and is a known quantity so less of a gamble and worth keeping IMO but not at the expense of signing a quality replacement for Goldson.

Regarding the centre-half positions, we do have Lewis Mayo (22) and Kyle McClelland (20) from the B-team, who have been away to Partick Thistle and Ayr United this season, hence the appearance of Leon King (18) every now and then. These two are old enough to make the step up, either with us or elsewhere, I would assume, given that Sands is 21 and Bassey 22. I have no idea how they shaped up at their respective clubs, though I reckon that they will get properly checked by Gio and his staff now.

2 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

Assume we extend Balogun. The we have the following three with question marks over availability:

Balogun

Souttar

Helander

That's in addition to another three options.

Bassey

King

Katic

If we keep Bassey he should be clear first choice left back. King should only feature in a few matches unless we have an injury crisis. Katic is likely out of the picture, as you say, and we definitely need better than him.

I say that we should focus on getting another central defender who can be relied on and is also an improvement on Balogun.

If we keep Balogun then I suspect that it is because we have no other options.

@der Berliner has just reminded me that this should also have included Sands.

That's a lot of cover for this position.

5 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Yes, he's dependable. 

I agree that that's not a bad move. 

Cheap deal, known quantity, reliable, dependable, loves the club.  Good enough for me.

4 hours ago, the gunslinger said:

Bring him back and send king out on loan.

King should be getting games for the first team.  He is good enough so should be used.  Only issue is if Bassey is beside him then we have little experience through the middle at CB.  King can be used in rotations 

4 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

Can't we do better than Balogun?

Don't we need someone better to help us qualify for the Champions league group stage?

I would think that Balogun will be a squad player, used in rotation between European games and domestic.  I don't think we should be throwing a ton of the squad away and starting afresh, that would be a huge risk.  Balogun is dependable and we know he can do the job domestically.  Bring in a better quality CB to replace Goldson, use Bassey beside that defender, use Balogun to rotate.

That would be my way of thinking - but that is also why I am not a manager I guess.

3 hours ago, CammyF said:

Goldson played every minute of every game (almost) we'll struggle to get that from any other CH. Given we can play 60+ games a season we need 4 or 5 CH.

Balogun has experience and is a known quantity so less of a gamble and worth keeping IMO but not at the expense of signing a quality replacement for Goldson.

That is my take too.  We will HAVE to replace Goldson as nobody else manages his output of games.  Balogun knows what is required so would be solid domestically.  

39 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

@der Berliner has just reminded me that this should also have included Sands.

That's a lot of cover for this position.

Sands has looked quite tidy whenever I have seen him (the Aberdeen game aside when he was thrown in at the deep end).  Not sure that he is big enough physically for CB though.  Looks more of a RB or sitting midfielder to me.  Or if we ever go 3 at the back then the right side of a 3 - we will need a CB who will put his head in where it hurts because losing Goldson we have lost that a bit.