The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

3 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

We have been linked with Stoke left back Josh Tymon, English 23 y/o. Approx 5 million.

Can only see this happening if we sell Bassey.

Numerous outlets running the story but main link from the sun here if interested: link here

I think Bassey is going to be a CB, going forward. 

So, a new LB signing would be useful. 

44 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Agree, but dont see us having the cash to buy him without selling Calvin. Don't think we would get enough from selling Borna to get him.

Selling Bassey would be surrendering the league before a balls kicked 

11 minutes ago, compo said:

Selling Bassey would be surrendering the league before a balls kicked 

If we get a £20m+ bid for him, it would fund a few new recruits.

Our player trading model demands sales like that.  

12 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Or it could help us win it?

Player-trading is the model we have to follow outwith guaranteed long runs in Europe so identifying the best time to sell (and buy) players is crucial.  For example, it's not ideal we allowed Goldson's contract to run down but we felt it was worth it to get what seemed like one good final year out of him.  Do we do the same with Aribo and Kent to name just two? I'd argue that occasionally it's worth it but not every time.

With regard to Bassey it could be argued his stock will never be higher. MotM performances in the EL final and the Scottish Cup final at the culmination of a fine breakthrough season has everyone talking about him. So, do we sell now at the peak of such discussion or take the risk he can improve further and any fee with that?

For example, let's say Chelsea offer £25m tomorrow.  That's a lot of money for a lad we basically got for peanuts. Let's say half of it can go to the budget for more new players and half towards allowing us to break even next summer and take the pressure of our Euro campaign. I'd say that's good business and whilst replacing him wouldn't be easy, well we can't have the same players forever.

I'd guess that depending on our targets we may spend around £10m this summer on new players. We could double that budget in a stroke by the sale of Bassey which could put us in a stronger position. No-one knows the future of course but we have to realise selling players is just as vital as buying them more than ever.

My own opinion is 25milion is low in football terms if he’s sold make sure there’s at least another 10 million on that figure 

I very much doubt we would reinvest the full amount into player recruitment, although that might depend on other sales.  

We saw plenty of Bears expecting the club to spend the full £12m we got for Patterson but that didn't happen.  We're running at a loss and need to recoup more than we spend on players. 

I am highly in favour of selling Bassey now. 

We get so caught up in a player's form. 

We go from 'he's worth £25M but he's too important to be sold' to 'he's p*sh - we'll not make our money back on him' when they have a couple of poor games. 

When their value peaks, sell them! Bassey's value will never be higher than this.