The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Its been a while since I was last on the forums, but, i'm back :)

Just to wade in on the GK stuff, its a strange one for me but if McGregor is going to sign a new contract, I would hope he would be pragmatic and understand, he should not be number 1. If that is case, I do believe there does need to be a refersh of some sort and I would even go to the point of really chasing either Butland (if the fee is as low as claimed) or the Turkish keeper on a free and trying to move McCrorie on. I understand thats probably an unpopular oppinion but I think from both sides, its probably best that way. Robbie needs to play games and we need somebody to really push the other two keepers. The only reason I would be against that refresh would be that sometime keepers don't settle how you would expect.

I feel that if Robbie was going to make it at Rangers, we would at least be talking about that by now but at the moment, its an average spell at Livingston and an Old Firm appearance.. 

12 minutes ago, lenny3k said:

I feel that if Robbie was going to make it at Rangers, we would at least be talking about that by now but at the moment, its an average spell at Livingston and an Old Firm appearance..

Robbie is 24. When McGregor was 24 he was on loan at Dunfermline. Long way to go. I suspect if McGregor stays as a backup McCrorie will go out on loan.

13 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I'm not too bothered about us wanting to have an experienced pro around but keeping Arfield, Davis and McGregor on seems a bit much.  

We need to freshen things up.  

Let's say we have £10m to spend.

Do we:

a) Spend it on 6 new players (including a new goalkeeper, and two proven quality international midfielders as well as the three positions we know we need).

b) Renew the contract of a few experienced players who will provide low-cost, reliable backup with excellent experience of the environment and bring in 2-3 new players that can immediately improve the starting XI options?

I'm not saying there's no decent options available for nothing (e.g. Lundstram/Sakala) or that 1x£5m player and 2x£2.5m players will be successes but that by keeping the squad changes to a minimum we're maximising our chances of success and rebuilding at a more sensible rate.

15 minutes ago, lenny3k said:

Just to wade in on the GK stuff, its a strange one for me but if McGregor is going to sign a new contract, I would hope he would be pragmatic and understand, he should not be number 1. If that is case, I do believe there does need to be a refersh of some sort and I would even go to the point of really chasing either Butland (if the fee is as low as claimed) or the Turkish keeper on a free and trying to move McCrorie on. I understand thats probably an unpopular oppinion but I think from both sides, its probably best that way. Robbie needs to play games and we need somebody to really push the other two keepers. The only reason I would be against that refresh would be that sometime keepers don't settle how you would expect.

Good to see you back mate... ;)

Any money we have should be spent on certain starters in key positions. 

Taking McGregor as an example. we could sign a Zander Clark or Siegrist and have a poorer free option as back up. We could spend millions that would be a waste. we could move McGregor to back up seems obvious to me. We certainly don't spend millions. 

Always assuming we aren't happy just to have McCrorie as back up which is also probably fine. 

22 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Nah, Davis, Arfield and McGregor will all be well aware they're not going to be first choice.

Despite his faults, I'd rather McGregor was pushing/supporting the likes of McLaughlin and McCrorie than a Siegrist that's for sure.

Allan McGregor wouldn't be the chap we know he is if he ignored the reality of his situation. I think he'll be delighted to stay and make a contribution to the success of the team and I don't expect anything but professionalism in his attitude to supporting the other keepers whoever they are. Having him around the squad is a huge plus if the price is right for all.

7 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Robbie is 24. When McGregor was 24 he was on loan at Dunfermline. Long way to go. I suspect if McGregor stays as a backup McCrorie will go out on loan.

I think this would be the best for all parties, but, I just don't know if thats something McCrorie would be happy to do again. 

I agree though, 24 year goalkeeper is probably the equivalent of a 20/21year old outfield player, just starting out

14 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

Any money we have should be spent on certain starters in key positions. 

Taking McGregor as an example. we could sign a Zander Clark or Siegrist and have a poorer free option as back up. We could spend millions that would be a waste. we could move McGregor to back up seems obvious to me. We certainly don't spend millions. 

Always assuming we aren't happy just to have McCrorie as back up which is also probably fine. 

McGregor also counts towards a 'homegown' player for European registration. 

37 minutes ago, lenny3k said:

giphy.gif