The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

30 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I think it was a mistake to renew McGregor's contract. 

You might turn out to be right but at this stage it's impossible to say that with any authority until and unless we understand exactly why the decision was taken. I think we can be sure this was a decision taken only after due consideration and within the context of an overall plan for the team and the budget available. We're simply not privy to those considerations.

19 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

The Chris Jack article is pure speculation.  Let's wait and see.

Yes, I think everything you read about our transfer intentions/activity is speculation. It's disappointing that we as a support still seem to look to a clearly-uninformed media to provide useful information. Old habits die hard I guess.

The bottom line is we have a very good squad when everyone is fit , we don’t have a very strong squad when 5 or 6 key players are unfit .

We do not need a rebuild unless 3 or 4 first team players are sold , but we do need options upfront to replace Itten , wide right and a goal threat from midfield , any more than that any players like Lowry simply won’t get game time , if anything we could do with getting rid of a few more first .

4 hours ago, buster. said:

I think the optics of resigning a 40 year old keeper who is extremely suspect at set-plays and isn't going to get any better whilst apparently letting go a promising 24 year old because of this doesn't make much sense.

I am quite astonished why a lot of Rangers fans are so against McGregor re-signing? it reeks of ageism IMO! McGregor has just finished an incredible personal season with some excellent performances, which could be argued without his performances we would never have reached the EL final. Why would any Rangers fan want him replaced just because of his age? he is the best keeper we have,(and has been throughout his career).

This lust for change just for the sake of it is bizarre! if we can replace any player with better quality then I am all for it, however he is the best keeper at the club and the fact that the boss wants him to continue says it all really! unless Rangers fans know better?.

If he was 30 instead of 40 would you be happy for him to re-sign based on his performances?. 

Edited by ian1964

I think the issue with McGregor is more his inability to command the box than his age.  It's a cause for concern whenever a decent cross comes in.

He still makes some great saves but the blunders are increasing.  

20 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I think the issue with McGregor is more his inability to command the box than his age.  It's a cause for concern whenever a decent cross comes in.

He has never changed though! what do you want? a keeper who command his box or a keeper who is excellent at shot stopping? nobody can deny what an excellent season he has just had and Gio is obviously is happy to give him another year on his contract!.

Also the rest of the players know his strengths and weaknesses and are confident in him, it's not as if the players expect him to come for crosses, they do communicate on set plays!.

What blunders does he make that any other keeper doesn't make?. No other keeper makes as many crucial saves than he does consistently!.

His performances last season, especially in the EL, proves he is still a top quality keeper hence Gio handing him another year.

Edited by ian1964

18 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Ten years ago Allan McGregor was just as poor coming for high balls and his distribution from feet was just as erratic. He remains an outstanding shot stopper. Seems to me the reluctance to extend his contract is a fear of the future rather than based on anything we’ve actually seen.