The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

36 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Itten was largely out of the picture.

If we get Colak, he'll be challenging for a starting slot.  

I think he will definitely be an upgrade, and on the loan thing it’s probably sensible. Really we have a big squad so unless we sell other than a RW or a box to box midfielder to partner lundstram we are well stocked. Would rather play Lowry than a loanee like McAtee if he is a number 10 type.

I hope we can get Colak in quickly question marks over buffalos fitness and Roofe just can’t be relied on. Qualifiers in a few weeks.

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

On 01/07/2022 at 15:31, Malangsob said:

That's unsubstantiated, as one cannot predict future trends.

The dependent and independent variables affecting season trajectory are myriad.

What we know is this squad, it its current state have reached heights far exceeding the rhats.

5 points...two games...and we would have raised 56.

See it for what it is...not what your fear tells you it is. 

Rangers have already proven that CL money is not required to achieve the heights of continental success.

Still don't believe your lying eyes?

Case Study;

Everton.

https://www.toffeeweb.com/season/21-22/news/41231.html

It was an opinion.

I am aware that football matches/seasons can go very differently to how you think it will go.

That said, I'm convinced (you don't have to agree) that is what would happen (as things stand). In reallity, as things stand....are going to change. We really need to recruit well this summer but we won't really fully know how good or bad the recruitment has been until further down the line. Nor is it simply about how big the budget is (although it tends to be very important).

As for the '2 games would have meant 56',.....If my auntie had baws comes to mind.

We had a soft centre that meant we couldn't put together a long enough run of wins to win the league. This is still mostly Gerrards team and IIRC in 3 of the last 4 seasons, they have effectively handed the title to Celtic, post winter break.

With regards to continental success.

That same team built by Gerrard have done fantastically well on a consistent basis.

I think the Europa League is somewhere that suits us wrt being competitive (and it has motivated players to greater heights).

Unfortunately, finance means so much in the modern game.

Now that mostly OUR exploits have earned the SPFL winners direct access to CLGS, that means an opportunity for us or them to take a significant step to opening up a financial gulf if one team were to get the CL money 2 or 3 seasons on the spin.

Not only that but direct access to the CL means summer transfer business can be more proactive. I think Malmo/Gerrard reaction can be used as an example of what can happen when things are up in the air. In the fairly recent past Celtic have lost numerous CL qualifiers with players who were on the cusp of a move and harmoney was in short supply. Throwing toys out of pram/forcing move...Boyata one year, Dembelee another and then there was Lennon with his qualifier exit "some players don't want to be here"......shows what can happen when squad renovation isn't done in a timely manner (and you employ a waster as manager).

Reaching a European Final and the associated income was very welcome but it is not something that will happen every season.

Bottomline,...these next two months are huge for us recruitment wise (and outgoing/player trading model) and obviously, on the pitch with FOCUS on the CL qualifiers.

Edited by buster.

5 hours ago, buster. said:

This is still mostly Gerrards team and IIRC in 3 of the last 4 seasons, they have effectively handed the title to Celtic, post winter break.

Bull’s eye.

5 hours ago, buster. said:

With regards to continental success.

That same team built by Gerrard have done fantastically well on a consistent basis.

I think the Europa League is somewhere that suits us wrt being competitive (and it has motivated players to greater heights).

buster’s rapid fire on target again.

2 hours ago, ian1964 said:

Filling the net full of young talent and hoping for another Calvin Bassey amongst them.

Suggests a possible change in how we recruit and possibly future attitudes to the preverbial pathway and giving opportunities to a hopefully better quality youngster coming through.

Finances and new regulations surrounding them may eventually leave us with little choice.