44 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

You seem to be suggesting that U.S. control over Ukraine is unimportant.

Or at least that it is less important than thousands of pounds annually per U.K. household.

Is that right?

Ukraine is not about  Ukraine, these things are never about what we are told.

Ukraine is a piggy bank, and currency cleaner for oligarchs, and politicians.

It is also a testing ground for many of the things we are forbade doing in the west.

Ukraine is also used as a further compression on Russia and the ultimate goal of removing Putin.

Putin sits on trillions kin mineral assets, he also does not play the wests game.

Money, and power.

The people on the ground are the last concern. 

But wave the flags...Slava Ukraine!....spare me....fools.

13 hours ago, Malangsob said:

Russian sanctions were quite possibly the single most stupid economic decision made in the last 50 years.

Utterly...utterly moronic.

There's considerable risk in threatening such intensely-held wisdom but is it just possible the real stupidity lies with the cowboys running the Kremlin.

As far as I know, the decision to invade Ukraine and disrupt the global economy wasn't forced upon Russia and was done in full knowledge of the inevitable consequences, only some of which have so far been revealed. 

I always get a surge of superiority when I see watch my fellow man pissing on his own shoes.

5 minutes ago, Malangsob said:

Ukraine is not about  Ukraine, these things are never about what we are told.

Ukraine is a piggy bank, and currency cleaner for oligarchs, and politicians.

It is also a testing ground for many of the things we are forbade doing in the west.

Ukraine is also used as a further compression on Russia and the ultimate goal of removing Putin.

Putin sits on trillions kin mineral assets, he also does not play the wests game.

Money, and power.

The people on the ground are the last concern. 

But wave the flags...Slava Ukraine!....spare me....fools.

Why buy comic books when you can read all the sanctimonious fiction you could ever need, right here on social media. 

47 minutes ago, Malangsob said:

As the normal citizenry are forced to substitute for necessities, any type of leisure is cut out further damaging the economy.

You are exactly right in everything you have posted, and i agree completely. I feel we are in a bit of an inevitable heading towards financial meltdown at the moment and too many cant or wont see it. There was a famous article doing the rounds on social media about a news paper article where a mother in a family of 3 bemoaned the rising costs and said they'd had to let thier 40k a year au pair go in favour of a part time nanny. Many scoffed at the family saying oh the hardship, how will they survive. They should try living in the real world like the rest of us etc.

No one cared one jot that a 40k per year au pair had just lost her job. For me that sums up everything about this whole situation. 

Kids should be taught not to spend money they don't have.  Credit cards should only be for emergencies.

The way I'm seeing it, every generation believes more than the last that they're owed a good lifestyle (social media has exacerbated this considerably).  

Capitalism operates on a boom and bust cycle - politicians won't fix that, so it's up to the individual to prepare for tough times.  

41 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Kids should be taught not to spend money they don't have.  Credit cards should only be for emergencies.

The way I'm seeing it, every generation believes more than the last that they're owed a good lifestyle (social media has exacerbated this considerably).  

Capitalism operates on a boom and bust cycle - politicians won't fix that, so it's up to the individual to prepare for tough times.  

I feel like marketing has made this an impossible task. Fast food is a great example. People wont think twice of spending a small fortune on a Greggs or MacDonalds and then bemoan the fact they cant feed thier family on £10 a day. A dominoes pizza delivery for a family of 4 could easy cost £40 for example.

I can feed my family of 4 for a week on £40. Some people just dont want to, they want to pay over the odds  for the junk food they have thrown at them via social media, TV, radio, posters on bus stops etc

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

Funny, I thought that the current mess was largely caused by attempts to fix that.

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

Kids can't be taught what their parents don't understand. We might bemoan recent "hardships" but society in general will certainly benefit from a shakeout of the entitled effete, the non-productive and the self-pitying freeloaders who are tolerated for the price of a vote. Our best generations have always been reared on poverty and resilience.

Edited by Bill

Well I certainly look forward to Mr Sunak's £400 this autumn, just as I appreciated the £150 off my council tax. Problem is it will also go to those who don't really need it. I can't forget the taxi driver I met  who sneered at the state pension because he already was receiving a far greater private pension. There should be some sort of means testing but as to what means within the current system, well search me.

4 hours ago, Bill said:

There's considerable risk in threatening such intensely-held wisdom but is it just possible the real stupidity lies with the cowboys running the Kremlin.

As far as I know, the decision to invade Ukraine and disrupt the global economy wasn't forced upon Russia and was done in full knowledge of the inevitable consequences, only some of which have so far been revealed. 

I always get a surge of superiority when I see watch my fellow man pissing on his own shoes.

Well, we can go on about who is the good guy, and who is the bad guy in this scenario.

I know you are full in with team west, staunch, I salute you for bein down for your team.

However, I think if i got into the where's and why's of that I would sidetrack this thread

The fact is that the attempts by the west to somehow harm Russia through sanctions have not only failed, but have succeeded exacerbating negative conditions.

Prior to sanctions the west was already dealing with the repercussions of the absurd Covid lockdowns, via supply chain disruptions, loss of income, and inflation.

As previously stated, in the US, both the Consumer Price In and Producer Price indexes were tracking inflation rates at or near record highs.

many commodities prices were, at or near new highs as well.

We have simply taken the demon, and injected it with steroids.

If there is anyone, 'pissing on their shoes' it is the hubris drunken west.

image.png.aaf55d1097b2defd1749edc4c16b387c.png

Nations under crushing sanctions do not have currencies this strong.

Why is that?

Well the demand for rubles has skyrocketed.

Additionally we see  China, Saudi Arabia, India, and most of ASEAN strengthening ties with Russia.

Why?

Because they can acquire oil, and gas at 25% below market...in return for purchase in Rubles.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/exclusive-russia-china-agree-30-year-gas-deal-using-new-pipeline-source-2022-02-04/

Dollar decoupling has begun...this is very bad for New York, and the City of London.

Why? Because the petro dollar runs directly through those two world banking empires.

Russia, is going nowhere, at least in its current state.

This is all leading to one great big firey place as there is quickly being a partition created.

War...and in modern terms, that's very bad.

Nuclear bad.