On 01/06/2022 at 02:38, Frankie said:

Similarly, the overall contribution of some players has to be examined. For example, the quality of players like Helander, Jack and Roofe per se can be defended but their unfortunate injury records cannot.

My thoughts exactly.

The club, if it were smart should be seeking replacements, and shuffling these guys out.

We got some rust we're calling metal in the squad. 

I know I know, money this, money that...I get it...but.

Roofe is on 29K per week...but could not be counted on during Morelos' absence. 

In addition to that, as much as experience in the dressing room is always welcome, how often should a Davis or Arfield appear ahead of a McCann or Lowry?

Davis was rarely used under GVB--Confused by the extension...that guy is gonna be a ghost.

Arfield as well--visually depleted capes.

Both should most definitely give way to younger talent. 

the league title should take priority and we simply must offer more consistency and quality domestically but the European adventures of recent seasons and the necessary monies gained from such can be considered almost as important.

I consider Europe more so. 

As in top priority.

What kind of money does an SPFL title bring to a club? 

Four, five million? 

Now, don't get me wrong, nice to have...but what did we haul from Europe?

Three times that? 

Plus 10% of the total SPFL pot coming in second?

I mean, call me the bad American who doesn't 'understand' the culture...but math is universal. 

Good write up man. 

8 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

you were right lol. we went of to the EL finals ffs. 

that's quite a bit of self delusion. 

After getting horsed by a pub team in The CL qualifiers.   Blew the league as well.   Your the one that's deluded. 

1 hour ago, gisabeer said:

I find it ridiculous that people like yourself continually endorse the mediocrity in our squad.

I recognise the league we play in and our financial circumstances mean we're not going to be signing any superstars.  

I think your expectations are unrealistic.  Having said that, we should've won the league, so last season was far from perfect and there are certain players I'd rather we moved on.

I hope we get Kent, Aribo and Morelos signed up.   I don't know what happened to Aribo in the second half of the season but I think he deserves a new contract.  I would be happy with an attacking midfielder with goals in them, right sided winger and a striker who consistently scores goals.  Add in the young guys and I don't think we are far off from being a very good team.

Criticism of last season is entirely merited.

The Europa League run was fantastic but should not gloss over some dreadful domestic results - both under Gerrard and Gio.  To allow an average Celtic side (though one that did go on a fine run) to claw back the lead we had was criminal and various people are culpable from the players to the board.

However it is unrealistic to expect perfection, especially when we lost the service of key players at key moments and also our management team before the half-way point. Those aren't excuses or bad performance under-played; just the facts and any reasonable commentator would concede the balance offered.

We can only hope lessons have been learned from the Malmo debacle and that we're much stronger domestically this coming season along with further positive efforts in Europe. I think the EL run has allowed some bad league performances to be forgotten but that will change should we not get next season off to a good start next month.

51 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

we have seen it 3 times. Winning a league and going all the way in Europe is a step to far. 

Perhaps we should have thrown out a B team in Feb and concentrated on the league like celtc....

I think the league was effectively gone on the 2nd of February when they beat us 0-3 at Parkhead though we arguably lost any psychological advantage we had a few days before when we drew in Dingwall.  That, in part, explained the Celtic result - they were on a high and we looked beaten from the outset.

As such, to an extent, we chose the opposite from your suggestion - perhaps not consciously to begin with but definitely after the Dortmund win.

Patrick Caskie’s report is well worth a read. The player stats section is particularly interesting. For me, they show how big a miss Helander and Roofe were. Goldson and Bassey’s defensive numbers weren't good, and Morelos’s goalscoring numbers weren’t good enough either, well behind Roofe. His passing/creative numbers were very good but even then, behind Sakala. And the less said about movement the better. 

Creatively, Kent’s numbers aren’t what they should be either, they really highlight how poor his shooting/goalscoring was, very low expected goals (behind Aribo, Arfield, Hagi wh all played in midfield) and very low dribble success too. Scott Wright shows up surprisingly well and so does Sakala. Aribo outstanding all round. 

A good squad that could really be improved with a small number of high-quality signings. The team stats busted the myth that we were just as good as Celtic too and they just got lucky breaks, they were well ahead of us in every stat. And we can't risk relying on the injury prone trio of Helander, Jack and Roofe again, as much as I love all three.

https://www.docdroid.net/DQf0nDJ/rangers-summer-2022-recruitment-plan-pdf

2 hours ago, Frankie said:

I think the league was effectively gone on the 2nd of February when they beat us 0-3 at Parkhead though we arguably lost any psychological advantage we had a few days before when we drew in Dingwall.  That, in part, explained the Celtic result - they were on a high and we looked beaten from the outset.

As such, to an extent, we chose the opposite from your suggestion - perhaps not consciously to begin with but definitely after the Dortmund win.

we still dropped enough points post european games easily to make up the 4 points. 

heck the last 2 oldfirm games would have been enough. 

On 03/06/2022 at 08:14, the gunslinger said:

we still dropped enough points post european games easily to make up the 4 points. 

heck the last 2 oldfirm games would have been enough. 

Even just the 2-1 game at Ibrox would have been enough had we converted the 2 stonewall penalties we should have got.