Official: Goldson signs new four year deal

Only thing is I'm not sure how Souttar fits in to the team as they are both right-sided defenders. The latter is injury-prone so would be odd if he were to be back-up to Goldson. Maybe we could have a back  3 of Souttar, Goldson and Helander? I quite like the sound of that.

9 hours ago, Frankie said:

There's no doubt Goldson has his flaws but who doesn't that plays in our league?

I'd imagine his new contract will be in the region of £35-40K per week costing us the better part of £7-8m over the next four years.  A lot of money!

However, for those that wanted better, I'd be interested to see who we could afford at those sort of wages and with a substantial fee on top?  By way of comparison, Helander cost us the best part of £4m in 2019 and arrived from Serie A as a fairly established Swedish international player. He's undoubtedly a good defender, but in those three seasons he's played just 59 games for club and country. During the same period, Goldson has played 169 times for Rangers alone - three times as many games!

Yes, there are times where Goldson frustrates me - he can be beaten too easily in wider areas and, certainly this season, he's allowed too many balls into the six yard area by failing to clear. His long diagonals are good but can be inconsistent and his 'vertical' passing unreliable as well at times.

However, to suggest he's not good enough in general is a serious under-estimation of a player who rarely lets us down, and has effectively led us to 55 and a Europa League Final. Another four years of him - hopefully in his prime - will certainly do me!

35 grand for all those flaws and 1 title in 4 years?  No thanks.

13 hours ago, gisabeer said:

35 grand for all those flaws and 1 title in 4 years?  No thanks.

Last time I checked, Goldson was just one of around 30-40 players that have contributed to the last four years - the good and the very bad.  And I don't think we had any right to expect many more trophies given where we've been in the last ten years.  Progress is slow but as our deputy skipper I think his contribution has been mainly positive and he was out PotY last season.

Now, I posted several sentences detailing why I think it's a good move whilst acknowledging the flaws.  The least you could do in the spirit of the forum is to do more than troll in response.  Offer an alternative player signing, discuss his flaws in greater detail, write 1000 words on why we're not progressing and why Goldson should not have been given a new contract.

Anything else is just tedious noise and I'd respectfully suggest you avoid such in future.

Folk just decided Goldson was no good when he was having to play with rubbish like Katic and can't undo that in their heads. 

Conversely Katic is the best player we have ever had at CH despite making more mistakes in single games than Goldson would make a season.