Official: Goldson signs new four year deal

1 minute ago, the gunslinger said:

Folk just decided Goldson was no good when he was having to play with rubbish like Katic and can't undo that in their heads. 

His comments after the Hibs semi didn't help his standing.  I was annoyed at the time but in retrospect, I think he was just in the heat of the moment and not thinking straight.

2 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

His comments after the Hibs semi didn't help his standing.  I was annoyed at the time but in retrospect, I think he was just in the heat of the moment and not thinking straight.

He was right. People just seem unable to accept that. 

Tel me about a time Rangers came back from 3 down if you doubt what he said?

Just now, the gunslinger said:

It's a shocking attitude from a Rangers player and from a fan.  

Never give in.  

55 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

He was right. People just seem unable to accept that. 

If we can beat St Mirren in a Final with 9-men against 12, then we can at least make a fair stab at scoring 3 goals in a half. 

17 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

Folk just decided Goldson was no good when he was having to play with rubbish like Katic and can't undo that in their heads. 

Conversely Katic is the best player we have ever had at CH despite making more mistakes in single games than Goldson would make a season. 

People are always going to have their blind spots when it comes to players - I get that and quite often no amount of stats, trophies or awards will change our opinion when we've made it.  I know I'm guilty of it.

Look at Lundstram: the start of last season he struggled and, despite one or two decent MotM performances, I doubt very many of us would have complained if he'd been moved on in January for peanuts.  Yet, since then h's now one of the first names on the team-sheet and a genuine fan favourite.

Ultimately, every player has their faults and it's silly to say otherwise: our best player in my eyes Morelos can't do it over a whole season, Kent's end product is too inconsistent, Goldson makes too many big mistakes, Bassey's positioning remains questionable, Roofe is never fit, etc etc etc.  This is a forum so it would be silly if we banned discussion on our players' faults. 

But all I ask is people be constructive. Explain your opinion, qualify it, offer suggestions and alternatives, provide detail. Not just say he's sh!te. 

I've got a blind spot with GvB. 

Even afer the remarkable EL run, I can't get past that bad spell after December. 

I don't know why?

I know it's unreasonable to expect him to be sacked - he deserves a couple of windows. 

6 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I've got a blind spot with GvB. 

Even afer the remarkable EL run, I can't get past that bad spell after December. 

I don't know why?

I know it's unreasonable to expect him to be sacked - he deserves a couple of windows. 

It doesn't help for me that, after early success at Feyenoord, he didn't build from it at all. Hopefully he has learned though and can use the transfer windows well at Rangers. His tactical flexibility got us to the EL final so hopefully can start using it domestically too. 

20 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Show me someone who has never said the wrong thing in a difficult situation, then I'll be very surprised.

What Goldson said was wrong but I got his meaning. Of course we should be capable of coming back from 0-3 down against Hibs but in the context of that game and what was happening off the field at the time (we basically had no manager) the probability was low.  Did any of us think otherwise so why would Goldson think differently?

The same can be said of Tav's programme notes the other year.  Yes, we didn't want to hear that our captain felt we had a mental block in some situations because it proved our worst fears. Again, that's what we thought, so why wouldn't the players have the same concern?  

I don't mind a bit of honesty now and again.  Too much can be a bad thing (we don't need to hear our senior players appearing weak) but I'll say one thing - after their words and concessions, both of them have tried to show they're capable of improvement and, as much as our league form wasn't good enough over the piece, the Europa League run and the depth of character to come back and win the Scottish Cup from 0-1 down against Celtic and the EL final loss told me a lot more about the squad in the here and now.  Mentally we are much stronger and, if we can cut out the silly mistakes, then regaining the league title should be the main aim.

That's not to say we can rest on our laurels ahead of next season.  Absolutely not but I really hope players like Tav, Goldson, Aribo and Kamara to name just a few get the rest they deserve this summer so we can hit the ground running in July.

2 minutes ago, DMAA said:

It doesn't help for me that, after early success at Feyenoord, he didn't build from it at all. Hopefully he has learned though and can use the transfer windows well at Rangers. His tactical flexibility got us to the EL final so hopefully can start using it domestically too. 

I think we benefitted from an initial bounce after he arrived but it then took some time for Dave Vos to implement his ideas ( he wasn't there immediately and then was ill for a period as well). 

After that all settled down, there's no doubt we've become a more tactically flexible side under this management team than we were under Gio. Some players have flourished in that (e.g. Wright and Lundstram) but a few others have maybe struggled a wee bit at times (e.g. Kent and Aribo).

We have to remember we had to play the last 14 games of the season without Morelos or Roofe but we coped fairly well with it. As such, maybe our tactical flexibility was by accident more than design but despite the loss of the league, it has benefitted us for the future. 

Strengthening the squad in key areas is now the biggest priority. Sign a few quality players (a midfielder, a right winger and another striker) then we have enough to improve domestically and in Europe.

1 hour ago, Frankie said:

I think we benefitted from an initial bounce after he arrived but it then took some time for Dave Vos to implement his ideas ( he wasn't there immediately and then was ill for a period as well). 

After that all settled down, there's no doubt we've become a more tactically flexible side under this management team than we were under Gio. Some players have flourished in that (e.g. Wright and Lundstram) but a few others have maybe struggled a wee bit at times (e.g. Kent and Aribo).

We have to remember we had to play the last 14 games of the season without Morelos or Roofe but we coped fairly well with it. As such, maybe our tactical flexibility was by accident more than design but despite the loss of the league, it has benefitted us for the future. 

Strengthening the squad in key areas is now the biggest priority. Sign a few quality players (a midfielder, a right winger and another striker) then we have enough to improve domestically and in Europe.

Yeh he's absolutely earned our trust. Recruitment is huge this summer and I wouldn't mind seeing a shake up (depending entirely on what interest there is in our players). Above all I’d like a quality creative player and a quality striker brought in (Roofe’s injuries are just constant).