Gersnet Player of the Year 2021/22 | James Tavernier

I do remember being a bit taken aback when Lundstram came under criticism last season and I think I posted as much at the time. It hardly seemed to fit the reality of his performances to date but essentially declared him unfit to play for Rangers. I often wonder if the scapegoating of Lundstram had an influence on Gerrard not using him for an extended period. 

31 minutes ago, Bill said:

I do remember being a bit taken aback when Lundstram came under criticism last season and I think I posted as much at the time. It hardly seemed to fit the reality of his performances to date but essentially declared him unfit to play for Rangers. I often wonder if the scapegoating of Lundstram had an influence on Gerrard not using him for an extended period. 

We did say this Bill both of us. Gio also used him sparingly to our detriment I would say. 

In Jan when I everyone wanted him punted I was pointing out he had been one of if not our best player in every game since September. It was pointed out he was pish V Dundee UTD in December which was true. 

1 hour ago, the gunslinger said:

From September he was almost exclusively a top performer when he played. 

That only really leaves August for being poor but hey ho. 

He did have a bad game v Dundee Utd but was hardly alone there. 

He plays ~120 minutes in August. 

He then has a good 4 games in the last week in September and into October. 

And then he plays barely any minutes until February 6th. 

You're just making it up. For what purpose, I have no idea? 

Hey ho.

I will say, I never wanted him punted.

I always thought he could contribute. 

He was never played in the right position - other than the 3-4 games in October.

When he gets a run at #6, he starts to perform. It might have just taken him that long to get settled anyway? 

4 hours ago, Rousseau said:

No he wasn't. 

IMHO You are basing much of that on his fleeting sub appearances after he was "dropped" after the 2-2 draw with Aberdeen.  Prior to that he was, as has been said, getting MOTM awards because, well, he was MOTM.

It isnt easy to come in for 15-25 minutes each week and make an impact.

For me, I was completely convinced by him in his very first game against Real Madrid.  The way he dummied the ball and went past a player of Marcelo's quality as if he wasn't there was good enough for me.

3 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I will say, I never wanted him punted.

I always thought he could contribute. 

He was never played in the right position - other than the 3-4 games in October.

When he gets a run at #6, he starts to perform. It might have just taken him that long to get settled anyway? 

Both fair points.

I don't think Gerrard was playing him in his best position - remembering that he has played a few different positions prior to coming to us.  Once Gio put him back in the team after the Parkhead debacle he has absolutely excelled.

Probably not much point in labouring whether he was a top performer or not - more importantly, he is most certainly now one of, if not the, first name on the team sheet - and long may that continue - particularly as he only just turned 28 in February - we have him at his peak years IMO - and now that he has had that season in Scotland under his belt I have a very real feeling he is going to light up this league - and Europe too.

Just now, craig said:

Both fair points.

I don't think Gerrard was playing him in his best position - remembering that he has played a few different positions prior to coming to us.  Once Gio put him back in the team after the Parkhead debacle he has absolutely excelled.

Probably not much point in labouring whether he was a top performer or not - more importantly, he is most certainly now one of, if not the, first name on the team sheet - and long may that continue - particularly as he only just turned 28 in February - we have him at his peak years IMO - and now that he has had that season in Scotland under his belt I have a very real feeling he is going to light up this league - and Europe too.

I thought he was signed to play as an #8 - which is where he played at Sheffield Utd - but, when he played there for us, he looked poor. 

It was only when he played as a #6 that he looked comfortable. Maybe he also just took a little bit longer to get settled into the club too. I never thought he was a bad player. 

Yes, there is no point in arguing about whether he was a "top performer" pre-january... BECAUSE IT'S UNTRUE! :D 

7 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I thought he was signed to play as an #8 - which is where he played at Sheffield Utd - but, when he played there for us, he looked poor. 

It was only when he played as a #6 that he looked comfortable. Maybe he also just took a little bit longer to get settled into the club too. I never thought he was a bad player. 

Yes, there is no point in arguing about whether he was a "top performer" pre-january... BECAUSE IT'S UNTRUE! :D 

He didnt play just as an 8 at Sheffield Utd, though he predominantly did, I agree.  Personally I think he CAN play the 8 well, but he took time to settle with us and by the time he got a run of games he was being used as a 6, and he excelled there.  I think he makes a more effective 8 than Ryan Jack for example, because he can do the things Jack does defensively, but he offers more of a goal threat too.  With those two, the beauty is they both can play both, which allows them a level of fluidity which makes it hard to defend against, when done right.

:roflmao: - I am not going there any longer ....

58 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

He plays ~120 minutes in August. 

He then has a good 4 games in the last week in September and into October. 

And then he plays barely any minutes until February 6th. 

You're just making it up. For what purpose, I have no idea? 

Hey ho.

so only 120 poor minutes. 

I didn't say he was a regular what i said was when he played he was a top performer. He was. 

now if we are discussing overall contribution that's different. Gerrard and Gio initially unexplainably preferred Kamara Given what Lundstrum was doing when played. 

Perhaps we are just talking about different things.