1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

They used to be the 'tartan Tories', now they're Sinn Fein with kilts on.  

You do know that the Irish invented kilts when Strongbow sent Oliver Cromwell to steal their trousers to give to Plantation Scots. Or something. Kremlin theoreticians will tell you kilts were invented in Russia.

There's something slightly pathetic about people who insist on wearing "highland dress" at formal events like weddings. What particular personality weakness is being bolstered by pseudo uniform and its collection of strange encoutrements. Or proclaiming "slainte mhath" like a true clan chieftain. It seems being Scorridge requires a degree of mindless fantasism.

If you look at Scottish wedding photos from the 70s or further back, hardly anyone had a kilt on.

When I got married in South Africa in 2009, the locals were all disappointed I was wearing a suit and I had to explain to them that Borderers never wore kilts.  

I wonder what prompted this current trend...

braveheart GIF

For a certain section of society, you can't just be Scottish, you have to be extra-special-in-your-face Scottish. It reveals a deeply-rooted sense of inferiority.

On 04/06/2022 at 14:40, Bill said:

Except there will never be an independent Scotland. 

Hopefully not in my, or my offspring's, lifetime.  Screw it, I will extend to my unborn grand and great grandkids lifetimes too !

2 hours ago, craig said:

Hopefully not in my, or my offspring's, lifetime.  Screw it, I will extend to my unborn grand and great grandkids lifetimes too !

We can all be wrong but I'm very confident there will be no independent Scotland. I'm much more confident than I was ten years ago.

4 hours ago, Bill said:

We can all be wrong but I'm very confident there will be no independent Scotland. I'm much more confident than I was ten years ago.

Nationalism has overrun education in Scotland. Warped versions of history and a Sturgeon personality cult prevail. A primary school near me is running a European Union project. How do you undo the damage caused to young brains?

38 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Nationalism has overrun education in Scotland. Warped versions of history and a Sturgeon personality cult prevail. A primary school near me is running a European Union project. How do you undo the damage caused to young brains?

I heard from a family member of a primary school in Glasgow having a gay and transgender day last week were children were urged to shed their school uniforms and dress as they find comfortable