Conservative Leadership Race | Rishi Sunak to be next Prime Minister

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/06/tory-partys-lurch-to-right-painful-to-watch-says-rory-stewart

"Former Foreign Office minister Rory Stewart has said he has found it “painful” to watch the Conservative party “lurch to the right”, arguing that electoral reform is the only way to plug a “gaping hole in the middle of British politics”.

Speaking to an audience at the Edinburgh festival fringe, Stewart said a shift away from the UK’s first-past-the-post system was needed so “new parties, new ideas, new opportunities” could break through.

He said this would be an important corrective to a “wooden, stiff and boring” Labour party and a Conservative party in “la-la-land”."

The bit in bold.  Wow!

14 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/06/tory-partys-lurch-to-right-painful-to-watch-says-rory-stewart

"Former Foreign Office minister Rory Stewart has said he has found it “painful” to watch the Conservative party “lurch to the right”, arguing that electoral reform is the only way to plug a “gaping hole in the middle of British politics”.

Speaking to an audience at the Edinburgh festival fringe, Stewart said a shift away from the UK’s first-past-the-post system was needed so “new parties, new ideas, new opportunities” could break through.

He said this would be an important corrective to a “wooden, stiff and boring” Labour party and a Conservative party in “la-la-land”."

The bit in bold.  Wow!

I've always thought of Rory Stewart as a loose cannon.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I've always thought of Rory Stewart as a loose cannon.

He’s anything but, in my view.  And i think he makes a salient point about the lurch to the right within the Conservative party, and the vacuum of nothing that Labour currently offer.

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

The bit in bold.  Wow!

Is the Conservative party really moving to the right?

I've yet to see evidence of that. The article didn't explain his comment. Probably just an oversight.

27 minutes ago, stewarty said:

He’s anything but, in my view.  And i think he makes a salient point about the lurch to the right within the Conservative party, and the vacuum of nothing that Labour currently offer.

Au contraire, the Conservative Party has been moving to the left for at least the last 12 years. The size of the state has grown inexorably. 

Here is some more of Rory Stewart's laser sharp analysis.

“There’s definitely huge space for a new party. In Scotland it should be a liberal, unionist party, in other words, a party that believes in the United Kingdom that is not a rightwing populist party. In England it should be a really strong, dynamic party of the centre,”

Somehow he remains unaware of the three mainstream liberal unionist parties already operating in Scotland.

Just imagine if our gatekeepers judged commentators on merit rather than ideology.

Edited by ranger_syntax

50 minutes ago, stewarty said:

i think he makes a salient point about the lurch to the right within the Conservative party

Johnson, Truss and Sunak are definitely 'far right'...  

...if you're Owen Jones or a member of Antifa.