Conservative Leadership Race | Rishi Sunak to be next Prime Minister

19 hours ago, stewarty said:

Anything else merely delays the inevitable.  At least if he goes now, there’s 2 years for a new PM to rebuild public confidence going into the next GE.  

As long as it isn't Jeremy Hunt, who is more slippery than a tank of eels. 

Oh, and next to useless.

2 minutes ago, ChelseaBoy said:

Oh, and next to useless.

Thats a separate debate, though I doubt I'd vote for any of them!

Suspect the movers and shakers will become clearer in the next few days/weeks.  If they tank at the upcoming by-elections, surely the parliamentary Conservatives will get even more twitchy about their re-election chances? 

44 minutes ago, ChelseaBoy said:

Oh, and next to useless.

He does seem to be the stalking horse at the moment but is probably unacceptable to the membership.

40 minutes ago, stewarty said:

Thats a separate debate, though I doubt I'd vote for any of them!

Suspect the movers and shakers will become clearer in the next few days/weeks.  If they tank at the upcoming by-elections, surely the parliamentary Conservatives will get even more twitchy about their re-election chances? 

Time is drawing short for any new leader to do anything but lead the party to an embarrassing defeat and his/her own resignation - not a great career move. And not forgetting that Boris still has the nuclear option of calling a snap general election. Either way only the fairly dreadful alternative of the Labour Party or a Labour-led coalition of chaos seems to maintain any hope for the tories.

• 3 weeks later...

Predictable by-election defeats lead to party chairman resigning. He said (someone) 'must take responsibility'.

Does his co-chair of the party (responsible for fund raising) speak Russian ?

Maybe Boris still had a bottle of donated vodka to open last night.

Edited by buster.

The Conservatives that want Johnson out will be kicking themselves after the Tiverton and Honiton result.

If they had held the letters back until today then I think that it would be over for him.

As it is they will all have to wait.

21 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

The Conservatives that want Johnson out will be kicking themselves after the Tiverton and Honiton result.

If they had held the letters back until today then I think that it would be over for him.

As it is they will all have to wait.

'Death' by a thousand cuts is almost better ....although a desperate man may do desperate things and that could be bad for all.

7 minutes ago, buster. said:

'Death' by a thousand cuts is almost better ....although a desperate man may do desperate things and that could be bad for all.

Not sure what you think the relevant difference is.

The two main parties are aligned in terms of seriously damaging policies.